Horrible with electronics... Need advice.

Prime8

Can someone help me out with backup light advice? I have the EVO tire carrier and therefore have no reverse lights. Can I run the stock backup lighting wire and a ground extension from the current taillights straight to a set of Rigid Duallys? Or will I need a resistor or something? I have a masters in engineering, but electronics stuff is humbling, as I am clueless...
Thank you in advance for the help.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I thought I read you need a resistor for the rigids or similar LED light due to the difference in power draw. But I don't even have a bachelors in engineering. ;)

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I know the Rigid Dually should only draw about one amp each so it's not a big power draw. I would honestly never tie into the jeep electrical. It's just bad practice and can make it hard to diagnose other electrical probs.

Skid_Kid

I was just talking with Eddie last night about this on here. I am going with a similar set up as his when I get my EVO tire carrier. I am going with Rigid's and running them into my switch panel. I am still trying to figure out if i can also wire them into the stock reverse wiring without a problem. I know people that have wired them into the fog wiring without resistors and have not had any issues.

Prime8

I was just talking with Eddie last night about this on here. I am going with a similar set up as his when I get my EVO tire carrier. I am going with Rigid's and running them into my switch panel. I am still trying to figure out if i can also wire them into the stock reverse wiring without a problem. I know people that have wired them into the fog wiring without resistors and have not had any issues.

Yeah. Switching them on/off every time I back up would be a pain, mostly because I'd forget.

supra_launch21v

You could always run the Jeep reverse light wiring to a relay and power the LED's separately.

Compare amps to amps (amp draw of the reverse lights to the amp draw of the LED's. If the reverse lights have more amps, go direct to the LED. If the LED draws more amps, then run power from your battery and let the relay do the heavy lifting (switching).

Top Bottom