Winch Accessory Questions

Parker "P.T." JK

I have a question, what is the difference between a hawse and roller fair lead? Pros and cons, also the pros and cons of cable and synthetic line? A pro-link and a regular hook? Also I have a roller fair lead with cable and a hook

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a question, what is the difference between a hawse and roller fair lead? Pros and cons, also the pros and cons of cable and synthetic line? A pro-link and a regular hook? Also I have a roller fair lead with cable and a hook

A roller fairlead uses rollers and a hawes just allows your line to drag along its surface. If you're using a wire rope, you really want to be using rollers as they'll help prevent wear and tear and last a lot longer. If you're using synthetic rope, a hawse is fine as there won't be enough friction to do much if any wear on it.

The pros of synthetic line is that it's much lighter, it floats, will not splinter and is much safer being that it will not store a load and whip back if it were to break. The cons are that it's more expensive, can melt, can fray if dragged over rocks and can be damaged from too much exposure to the sun.

Overall, I still prefer to run synth rope for it's safety properties and, I prefer to run a roller fairlead with it as it allows you to do better side pulls.

Hooks are find but, if you get a synth line, I might recommend a safety thimble instead.

supra_launch21v

The cost of synthetic line is very reasonable now a days. It is kinda a no-brainer. The safety factor alone merits it. The hawse is the best way to run with synthetic line. Daystar has some polymer rollers. Rollers are an option to use.

Top Bottom