Upgrade '13 Jk sport or buy a rubicon

I'm currently running 3.73 gears and 33" tires on my JK sport 2013. Wanting to move up to 35" tires next year. Was wondering if it's worth the hassle to replace the D30 front with a D44 and my transfer case to a rubicon 4:10 or just buy a new rubicon. I'm not mechanically inclined so all the work would be done at a shop. 95% on road driving and hardest trail I would run would be the rubicon. I currently do have an Eaton rear E locker.

Dalton gang

In my opinion, it depends if your not wheeling that mutch then you could just gear and locker the rear no d 44 upgrade probably cost you a couple gs. But hey if your looking for an exuse to get a rubicon hell yeah why not. Im not sure if yoh drive a manual but if not you would still need to gear for 35s 4:10 is manual only as far as i know but its ok with 35s.

mo0s3

I think it depends on what you plan on as far as upgrades. If you are going to replace everything on it anyhow then why pay extra for the Rubicon. I'd price out everything and see what would be your best option. I actually enjoy building everything my self but I will tell you having everything on it would have made it nice .
Good luck in your decision bud

Napalm

I chose a Sport over a Rubicon because I don't wheel hardly at all(maybe twice a year) and I'll never go over a 35 inch tire. If I was wanting to run 37s, I would want a D44 up front. If I was out crawling more, I'd definitely want the RockTrac transfer case and NEED the lockers. But, those things are things that I do not need, so I could not justify the coin bumping up to the Rubicon.

The only thing that matters is what you want and what you use your rig for. You'll be fine with a D30 up front and 35s(as long as you have C gussets)

Just my opinion. :)

In my opinion, it depends if your not wheeling that mutch then you could just gear and locker the rear no d 44 upgrade probably cost you a couple gs. But hey if your looking for an exuse to get a rubicon hell yeah why not. Im not sure if yoh drive a manual but if not you would still need to gear for 35s 4:10 is manual only as far as i know but its ok with 35s.

I have an automatic and want to do more wheeling in the Sierra's which means more rocks. But I don't need to do the hardest trails as this is still my daily driver.

Dalton gang

I have an automatic and want to do more wheeling in the Sierra's which means more rocks. But I don't need to do the hardest trails as this is still my daily driver.

I drive mne daily to it is a rubi manual with 35s , if you start wheeling more youll just want to wheel even more . A rear locker for sure with gussets as napalm mentioned. Or rubi geared if auto its all about what you want to get out of your rig and coin of course. Collecting some spare parts always helps on the trails .

CarolinaJK

I started with a Willys(much closer to a sport) because I don't get the opportunity to wheel very often. Plus, there's not many rocks around where I am. Do I wish I would've gotten a Rubicon? Of course. Am I unhappy with my "sport"? Not at all. It handles everything I throw at it and more.

austin160

I own a JKU Sport and currently run 33's with a 2.5 lift. It does everything I have needed so far. I am saving for a G2 front with ARB locker and 4.88 gears, will do the rear at the same time. Everything that I have in it now plus the front axle, I will come out below the 42k it takes to get a Rubicon. The trade off for me is manually unlocking my sway bar and a lesser transfer case, but I plan on owning my for a very long time so its not big deal to upgrade down the road.

You can get an auto Rubicon with 4.10s, it is just no longer the stock configuration. I think the decision boils down to when you want to do what. I bought the Rubicon because I wanted to be as off road capable as possible of the lot.

SoCalDozer

ProRock44 with arb 5k
***advanced adapter rubicrawler 1900 gives you a two speed xfer case with more range options as well as lower overall than 4.1 tcase or higher if you need it.
edit: rubicrawler doesnt work with 2012-up trans, sorry! but the 1000 you save on the locker you could get the atlas t-case and still come out cheaper since they are 2700.
rear re-gear and arb for rear 1500 bucks.

that comes out to 8400. base rubi cost 9300 more than base sport.

plus all the upgrades I listed will be much better off than the stock rubi drivetrain.
and you should be good to 37's if you wished to go that high.

edit: since you already have a rear locker you can subtract 1000 from that cost as well.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
ProRock44 with arb 5k
advanced adapter rubicrawler 1900 gives you a two speed xfer case with more range options as well as lower overall than 4.1 tcase or higher if you need it.
rear gear and arb for rear 1500 bucks.

that comes out to 8400. base rubi cost 9300 more than base sport.

plus all the upgrades I listed will be much better off than the stock rubi drivetrain.

Last time I checked. The rubicrawler was only for 07-11 4 speed auto trans and older TJs with the same trans.

bhart

I bought my sport from the dealer with 35's and 3:73 gears. They sell these like hot cakes in Reno. They don't tell you it will be underpowered on hills or towing. I upgraded to 4:56 gears to retain highway gas mileage vs. 4:88 gears. Most four wheelers will advise 4:88 gears for a little more power than stock. My 4:56 gears are nice with a noticeable improvement. As far as the D30 and transfer case, see how it goes and replace as needed.

SoCalDozer

Last time I checked. The rubicrawler was only for 07-11 4 speed auto trans and older TJs with the same trans.

you are correct, didnt think about that. in that case he could take the 1000 he saved from the locker and get an atlas t-case lol

Jkratt

RubiCrawler won't work. Below is from advanced adapters site.

This unit fits Jeeps 2003 to 2011 with the 42RLE automatic overdrive transmission. This new reduction unit replaces the stock 42RLE tailhousing with a 6 gear planetary reduction box featuring a 2.72 low range. This is a true bolt-in doubler that couples to the stock Jeep transfer case or an existing Atlas transfer case.

Features:
The RubiCrawler increases your available gear ratios. This allows you to choose the appropriate gear, depending on the terrain in which you’re wheeling. Proper gear choice will allow you more control of the vehicle. Ultimately, this contributes to a fun, and safe, offroading experience, even in extreme environments.
Ratios with a Stock New Process 231/241 are a 2.72:1 and a 7.40:1
Ratios with a Stock NP Rocktrac are a 2.72:1, 4.0:1 and a 10.88:1

Would need the Altas II transfer case, about $2400.

SoCalDozer

No shit guys, only takes one post to clarify something. Don't need 3 posts to say the same info that has already been corrected is incorrect.
The post was already fixed after the first guy mentioned it.

Top Bottom