Intelligent Opinion Wanted - boy am I opening myself up for a whooping with this post

supra_launch21v

Well here I go, I need an opinion. Let me outline what I am running, I will post a photo, and would like an opinion.
6" long arm kit - just installed
37" Kevlars
Tube Fenders

Here is my rationale for installing the 6" vs the 4". The 6" Teraflex kit included the draglink flip kit, frame brace, track bars, TF speed bumps, and ELKA piggy back shocks. I bought the whole kit for 3750 delivered to my door. The 4" kit was way more expensive and does not include what is comparatively the same. My past lift was a 3.5" short arm lift + a 1.25" body lift. I struggled with rubbing the rear wheel well, hitting the tube fenders, and hitting the bump stops constantly when loaded down (family of 4 with two teens) when on aggressive (7-9 rating) trails. I know the long arm kit (regardless of height) will recenter the rear wheels properly, however, the other problems really frustrated me.

I have loosely installed the 6" lift. I have removed the body lift (yea!). It is sitting on the floor with the tires installed. I think it is just a bit too much lift. However, I haven't installed the drive shafts, or the gas tank. That being said, I would like your opinion if it too much. When we travel we really load up the Jeep. Please keep that in mind. So I am opening up for everyone to say it is too much lift for 37" tires, but, I just don't think a 4" coil spring is going to cut it. (I will be back to where I was). Be gentle and give me your opinion AND your possible FIX to my situation.

The top photos are the NEW 6" long arm install, the bottom photo is the pre-long arm photo 3" short arm lift with 1.25" body lift.

Keep the 6" or go with a 4"? Other ideas welcome!

photo1.JPG photo.JPG image-2704740373.jpg

Last edited:

my_jk

Prsonaly I think it looks awesome. :yup: but lower is more stable as you know

Last edited:

CRAZYCASEY

I am in no way an expert but you have installed some good stuff there. You are way ahead of where you were! I have had a similar battle over the last year with my jeep. I went from a 4inch short arm teraflex lift to 5.5 inch rock krawler lift. I did not like the 5.5 springs. The height and center of gravity were way too much for me. I have since gone back to 4" teraflex springs and I am very happy again. I am also running the Elka shocks and I love them. I think the speed bumps will really help out with your bottoming out issues. I say run those 6" springs and see how you like it. Worst case you spend another few hundred bucks on 4" springs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Every TF coil I have ever installed and or ran measured way taller than advertised. My 4" coils sat more like 5" and your 6" look way taller than that. Now, if you like the 1980's sky high look, you've got it but, if you plan on wheeling your Jeep, your COG is way off. FWIW, I run 40" tires with only 4.5" of lift. If you were having rubbing issues before, the better solution would have been to run shorter coils with a higher spring rate or dual spring rate, add proper bump stops and or do some trimming. Either way, I'm sure you'll be fine with what you've got but, if you think you're a bit on the high side, I'd have to say you are. Of course, that's just my opinion.

supra_launch21v

Well I definitely offroad it. TF said they would replace my coils with the 4" at no cost. I assume the TF coils are not dual rate. Any suggestion on a good dual rate spring?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I definitely offroad it. TF said they would replace my coils with the 4" at no cost. I assume the TF coils are not dual rate. Any suggestion on a good dual rate spring?

If they'll do it, I would take them up on it. The 4" TF coils were way tall and firm for my taste but, will be shorter and probably softer than what you have now. So long as you have the proper bumpstops installed, you shouldn't need dual rate coils and I personally wouldn't run them as they tend to not offer a good amount of stuff. But, if you still want them, I'd have to say that Currie makes some that are pretty decent and of course, there's AEV as well.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

You don't really want dual rate coils anyhow. As the coil compresses it gets stiffer, hence it does not stuff as good and leaves a tire hanging

dahreno

Banned
I love my Pro Comp 6" long arm , but it is not as tall as yours .
020.jpg
[/IMG]

supra_launch21v

It is probably pretty close, I have tube fenders. I think it is going to be too high for me. We'll see. I am having some buddies come over this week to discuss it. Your Jeep looks good by the way.

BrandonDetrick

My opinion ... 4" evo coils , with your current set up. And prob have to trim rear fenders a bit. . But personally a good 4" of lift is PLENTY when running 37s. More practical. (Even tho your 6" will do work I'm sure )

supra_launch21v

So when you say trim fenders, are you talking about the front lower part of the rear fender well? I have them pretty well trimmed up from the short arm lift. Are the EVO coils softer?

Thanks.

BrandonDetrick

Yes I was referring to the pinch seam. . Yes the evo coils are softer , They are called Plush coils lol. . Either route you take your jeep is gonna perform like a champ. I just prefer a lower stance and COG, personally.

supra_launch21v

Okay, that is what I am going to do. Send back the 6's and get the 4's for free. Try them out and see what happens. It should be all good.

rtguy1

sounds like you are a good candidate for evo bolt on coilovers. dual springs will keep the bottoming out issue at bay, and the ride height can be set exactly where you want it. my opinion of course

Prime8

I just had the EVO Double D long arm setup installed on my '13 with 37" Nittos. It has the plush coils and just the bilstein 5100 shocks. It rides and handles WAY better than the 3.5" RK lift I had on my last rig. After installing my rockskins/tire carrier, spare tire, and sliders it sunk an inch or so and is about the same height my RK lift was with just sliders. You don't live too far away if you wanted to check it out when you are in the area sometime... The lift with Bilsteins came out to right around $3700-$3750, so pretty much identical to your setup. I will snap a picture today if I remember, I haven't taken any since I slapped the LoD sliders back on...

Top Bottom