Factory e-locker magnets now available!

Exodus 4x4

A few months back I had a bad experience with a re-gear that left my front locker inoperable. The shop that performed work "tried" to fix it with no luck and basically washed their hands of it. I broke everything apart and with the cover off I went at it from a few different angles but really, there's not much to them and near as I can tell its the magnet. Biggest giveaway is when I engage the switch the locker started to heat up, suggesting something is shorting out across it. Unfortunately at the time the magnet itself was not available so anyone with this problem was stuck with buying the entire OEM locker assembly, rather than just the parts you need.

So I was stuck with either buying another factory locker either new or used, buy an ARB with new 35 spline shafts, or just run with my front diff open from now on. Now theres no way in hell I was going to pay for a new OEM locker since the cost is outrageous. I've tried finding a used locker but I'm always skeptical on buying used electrical parts for obvious reasons. The last option was to buy an ARB RD157 but that would include upgrading to 35 spline shafts which would run almost another grand on top of the $900 I already was going to spend on the ARB locker.

Fortunately today I was doing some digging and accidentally stumbled across someone on ebay selling a used rear locker that when I contacted them, informed me that a few months ago the magnets became available. It's Spicer part number 2005193 and my cost was $195 plus shipping. Not sure the forums relationship with the vendor so I'll let you google the part number yourself and track it down. I'm told you just pull the carrier bearing and swap it out, and so I'd suggest you have a new bearing on hand. I haven't swapped it out yet so really I'm still hoping that's my problem, but if you know its yours then you now have a solution thats relatively cheap. Now to be sure theres no confusion, this is not the plunger/position sensor. This is the actual magnet solenoid on the locker itself.

locker mag.jpg

Ultimately I will replace my front locker with the ARB, but in the meantime this works for my budget. This also keeps the locker from being just a paperweight and it can be passed on to someone else down the road.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Sounds like a step in the right direction for servicing the elockers. Its ridiculous that other parts for it aren't available. I hope this fixes your issue. My rear locker had some issues disengaging last time out. I hear this is a bad sign of things to come. I changed the diff oil and that seems to have fixed the issue. Still, I'm saving money to ultimately put an ARB in with 35 sp shafts or try an OX locker and stick with the 32 sp shafts. Good luck.

Top Bottom