Pudding in Pappy's Pan

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Somewhere along the line in Pappy's 62 years of existence, someone decided that it would be a good idea to completely remove the oil filtration system from his motor. How long ago that was will forever remain a mystery and while I have been able to reinstall a new oil filtering system and just like he would of had from the factory, I had a feeling there might be a layer of sludge in his oil pan that was worthy of an archaeological expedition. Needless to say, pulling Pappy's pan and doing a thorough cleaning of it was next up on my fix list.

For tiny little 2.2L 4 cylinder Hurricane F-head motors that came in a Willys CJ3B, they sure had ENORMOUS oil pan drain bolts. As you can see here, it takes a massive 1-1/8" socket to remove it.
main.php

I should note that when checking the dip stick, Pappy's oil actually looks somewhat clean. However, what drained out of his pan was black as ink. Also, being that the drain hole is so big, I was able to stick a finger inside just to get a feel of things before going any further and... what I could feel was a pudding like sludge about an inch thick. I could also feel large objects that felt like rocks. It was then I knew the pan had to come off.
main.php

Unfortunately, I don't have a shot of what the inside of the oil pan looked like because my hands were a mess and I didn't want to ruin my phone. That being said, I was able to scoop up some of the sludge that was now sitting on the bottom of my catch pan and you can see what it looked like here.
main.php

After going through the better part of a paper towel roll and a whole can of brake cleaner, I finally got the inside of Pappy's pan all clean again.
main.php

What I love about living in a town like Carson City is that there are a lot of old car guys here and because of it, my local Napa Auto Parts stocks a ton of old parts including a new oil pan gasket for a Hurricane F4-134 or "F-head" 134 cu.in. (2.2 liter) 4-Cylinder Engine.
main.php

The new Felpro gasket also came with a new gasket for the oil pick up tube. Here's a shot of what the oil float and bottom of the crank case looks like.
main.php

When reinstalling the oil pan, it's important to NOT over tighten the bolts. In fact, the bolts only require 9-14 ft. lbs. of torque and so I decided to just use an inch pound torque wrench set at about 160 in. lbs.
main.php

And just like that, Pappy now has a clean pan again. Oh, and yes, I spent a lot of time cleaning the outside of the pan as well and even hit it up with some black paint.
main.php

So, way back before there were multi-grade oils, people just used straight weight oil in their motors. In the case of a Hurricane F-head, the oil it took was an SAE 30. Not exactly the most common thing in the world but surprisingly, it can still be found even at a place like Walmart.
main.php

This just might be the first fresh and clean oil Pappy has seen in a long time.
main.php

Moment of truth. Fired Pappy up, checked for leaks and verified that he's holding a steady 50 psi.
main.php

Guess it's time to start on the next project :crazyeyes:

Nice! Congrats on the great oil pressure. Always a worry when you see weird things like an entire filter system removed then replaced.

Changing out pappy's diaper, I love it. When our family gets up there in age, it's up to their children to take care of them. You're a good son :)

WJCO

Meme King
Very cool to see a repair like this on an older rig. Also looks like the caps and crank didn't get hit with the sludge, another plus and sign that the sludge hadn't traveled too far not a sign of a long term issue.

..... I was able to stick a finger inside just to get a feel of things before going any further and...

^Yeah...I couldn't leave that comment alone....back on topic.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Fun project for sure with great results! Who ever removed the filtration system was crazy and out of their mind lol

Top Bottom