2012 Parking Brake Failure

cottrellsahara

Hey y'all! My 2012 wrangler unlimited's parking break has completely failed. When I pull it to full lock the jeep still rolls freely with only the smallest amount of resistance. I have already adjusted the parking brakes by using the star shaped screw adjuster and no luck may have even gotten worse. My question to you is will giving the e-brake pads a good brake cleaning to remove any mud/dirt help my brake at all or should i just buy new shoes for the drum? this brake is a common problem with my year and I am tired of leaving it in gear and leaving so much stress on my tranny btw the brake has not worked for about a year

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
If you are able to take off tires, calipers and rotors you'd be able to see if there is dirt and/or debris clogging up ebrake. You'd be able to give everything a good cleaning. Is it possible you turned the adjuster the wrong way giving more space between e-brake pads and rotor?

The emergency brake is a back up to the vehicle being in gear. Never trust just the ebrake. Your transmission is designed to hold the vehicle. Cleaning it out could fix the problem, but it may also be the cable is stretched out too much. The adjuster can only take up so much slack in the cable. I would think it would last more than 4 years but with you saying it is an issue for your year maybe they had a bad batch.

cottrellsahara

I'd check with the rotor pulled off to make sure the pads are actually being spread out when you pull the handle

Thats the thing I tested it and when it was pulled up i didn't really see any movement.... This makes me think the connection is whats messed up but the linkage is very hidden so its tough to determine.

benatc1

Hooked
mine has been intermittent for awhile. going to pull everything apart this weekend and see what the deal is.

Top Bottom