Rattle after lift kit install

tallguy26

Caught the Bug
I just installed a 2.5 in lift on my jku. I had to install exhaust spacers but now whenever I turn it on and put it in gear and give it gas it has a rattle. It only does it after I turn it on. Need help trying to figure this out. Thanks.

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to WAL. With the help of a buddy, and the emergency brake on, have them start vehicle and put vehicle into drive and reverse while you look underneath to find rattle. Do this with someone you trust and be safe about it. You may want to chock the wheels just to be safer. You could do this yourself with a video camera maybe too. Look for parts that are really close together.

tallguy26

Caught the Bug
I noticed the crossmember is close when I was looking for something obvious earlier. Is there a good way to shim it?

WJCO

Meme King
I noticed the crossmember is close when I was looking for something obvious earlier. Is there a good way to shim it?

I wouldn't do that. I would suggest modifying the exhaust before messing with the crossmember myself. I'm the kind of guy that will bend or grind something to fix rattles but I don't know if you're willing to do that. I would pay particular attention where the driveshafts are in relation to the exhaust and pay attention to the areas where the spacers are.

tallguy26

Caught the Bug
Have to have the spacer due to the way the exhaust is routed on the 12+ I was told a thinner drives haft would eliminate the need for them but I don't have that in my budget right now. May take it to an exhaust shop and have the exhaust modified

tallguy26

Caught the Bug
Was also told to see if the muffler is hitting the sway bar apparently there is a weld on the exhaust to keep it from being slid up too far. Apparently it is supposed to be ground off when installing the spacer.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Have to have the spacer due to the way the exhaust is routed on the 12+ I was told a thinner drives haft would eliminate the need for them but I don't have that in my budget right now. May take it to an exhaust shop and have the exhaust modified

On only a 2.5" lift you don't need it. If you were higher you would need the spacer or a new aftermarket DS. Obviously the latter is the better option

swampdog

On only a 2.5" lift you don't need it. If you were higher you would need the spacer or a new aftermarket DS. Obviously the latter is the better option

My experience is very different from what you are saying. My boot got torn to hell with my 2.5" of lift on a four door (true 2.5"). It rubbed on the exhaust crossover every time it would articulate off road. You could feel it rubbing through the gear shifter. You do need to find a solution...mine has been to run it torn for a couple of months and am ordering a driveshaft on Monday, but it will rub and tear, and eventually fail at 2.5" on a 2013.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My experience is very different from what you are saying. My boot got torn to hell with my 2.5" of lift on a four door (true 2.5"). It rubbed on the exhaust crossover every time it would articulate off road. You could feel it rubbing through the gear shifter. You do need to find a solution...mine has been to run it torn for a couple of months and am ordering a driveshaft on Monday, but it will rub and tear, and eventually fail at 2.5" on a 2013.

Well you prob have to long of shocks then to allow the axle to droop so much it rubbed. On my jeep as well as hinrichs old 2 door we both had the same teraflex lift and same bilstein shocks that we both sat over 3" of lift. Neither of us had DS problems. Eventually we both got new shafts but it wasn't cause of the stock ones failing.

swampdog

Well you prob have to long of shocks then to allow the axle to droop so much it rubbed. On my jeep as well as hinrichs old 2 door we both had the same teraflex lift and same bilstein shocks that we both sat over 3" of lift. Neither of us had DS problems. Eventually we both got new shafts but it wasn't cause of the stock ones failing.

I believe you are right. I do have the longer 331/332 Ranchos, but will be switching to 3.5" springs this weekend which puts me in the correct lift range for those shocks. Good call Coz.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Found it! Loose bolt on the exhaust spacer. Grabbed space to see if it moved and sure enough it did.

Glad to hear you found your problem but as mentioned, unless you're running shocks that are too long, you really don't need it with just 2.5" of lift. If your lift yielded more than 2.5", the CV boot on the output shaft will still be in a constant state of pinch and it will fail sooner than later. In other words, you will still need a new aftermarket drive shaft some day.

ktcred

Glad to hear you found your problem but as mentioned, unless you're running shocks that are too long, you really don't need it with just 2.5" of lift. If your lift yielded more than 2.5", the CV boot on the output shaft will still be in a constant state of pinch and it will fail sooner than later. In other words, you will still need a new aftermarket drive shaft some day.

Resurrecting an old thread...

@wayoflife: you mention you don't need an exhaust spacer if your lift is 2.5". Are you referring to actual lift or the stated lift? Specifically, I'm looking at the JKS JSPEC 2.5". Their website notes that an exhaust spacer is required. Is this 1) marketing or just legalese/CYA on their part or 2) because their lift actually yields more than 2.5" it really is required? (Teraflex did publish a video that illustrates the max measure point at ~2".)

I'm looking to install the 2.5" lift myself. If the exhaust spacers are required, could I get them done after by a professional, or must I do them before...or even at the same time?

I would love to remove the extra component from my build, if possible, but thought I would double check.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Resurrecting an old thread...

@wayoflife: you mention you don't need an exhaust spacer if your lift is 2.5". Are you referring to actual lift or the stated lift? Specifically, I'm looking at the JKS JSPEC 2.5". Their website notes that an exhaust spacer is required. Is this 1) marketing or just legalese/CYA on their part or 2) because their lift actually yields more than 2.5" it really is required? (Teraflex did publish a video that illustrates the max measure point at ~2".)

I'm looking to install the 2.5" lift myself. If the exhaust spacers are required, could I get them done after by a professional, or must I do them before...or even at the same time?

I would love to remove the extra component from my build, if possible, but thought I would double check.

You would only need exhaust spacers IF the shocks that come with the kit are long enough to give too much droop. This would allow the slip shaft boot on your front drive shaft to make contact with your exhaust cross over and get damaged. That being said, depending on how much lift you actually get (most 2.5" coil lifts yield OVER 3" of lift), your bigger problem will be in the fact that your front drive shaft will be sitting at a steep enough angle that your CV boot will wear out prematurely.

You can install spacers or a relocation kit like what Rancho makes on your own.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
If your new front shocks are greater than 25" extended there is a good chance you may need to do something about exhaust clearance.

I'm on exactly 2.5" of lift in the front with 27.5" shocks which required not only spacers but a little bit of hammer work on the crossover pipe to stop it from contacting.

I will say the spacers suck. They always leak a little bit and the drivers side rattles occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ktcred

your bigger problem will be in the fact that your front drive shaft will be sitting at a steep enough angle that your CV boot will wear out prematurely.

I would be doing a suspension lift. That said, are you suggesting I take a look at a new drive shaft over creating more space by moving/dealing with the exhaust?

You can install spacers or a relocation kit like what Rancho makes on your own.

Any concerns with spacers? Seems like an easier install. I don't mind cutting the exhaust, as instructed to install the Rancho kit, but you only get one shot to get it right.

Top Bottom