Payed off!!!!!!

JamesCo

Ok guys. So after a broken leg and a shiny new IR Rod put in a couple years ago, we sold our '07 Peterbilt. After my 6 months recovery we bought a new to us used Peterbilt. We have payed off the Peterbilt this last Wednesday. We payed off our $100,000 Peterbilt in 14 months exactly!!. :clap2::clap2::clap2: I give huge credit to my wife who has stuck it out to accomplish what all my buds said couldn't be done. So next month we are moving to the Nashville area and going to settle in.

So now with no huge truck payment my wife and I are going to build our dream "DO IT ALL" Jeep JKU. And yes I've brain stormed for months on every detail of what I want in and on it. Only question I am not sure of is suspension. I know I'm going EVO long arm. But do I do Coilovers or DTD??:hmm: when I say do it all JEEP I am talking long adventures all over the U.S. and up to Alaska. And every trail in between including the Hammers. I'm stuck on the Bolt on Coilovers now because I can put them on myself in our apartment garage. We will not start building on our shop home for at least another year. So if I do the DTD I'd have to take it to a shop somewhere in Tenneessee. I've seen videos of Eddie's rigs when he had the coilsovers on and they seem to do very well. Yes, I'll be running 40's and Dynatracs. What do all you experts think? image.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Congrats!!

Being that your in Tennessee there is far from anything down there that would warrant the DTD. I strongly suggest you do either the coilovers with long arm Or the enforcer with 2.5 adjustable kings and long arm. I think the latter is the best option for you.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Congrats!!

Being that your in Tennessee there is far from anything down there that would warrant the DTD. I strongly suggest you do either the coilovers with long arm Or the enforcer with 2.5 adjustable kings and long arm. I think the latter is the best option for you.

Come on coz. You can bomb through Windrock :)

JamesCo

Well Cozdude, I might be moving to Tennessee and I might be doing a little wheeling here as that's all there is around here. But my intentions are a do it all including the Hammers! I lived in SoCal for over 20 years and have 4 wheeled lots out there. I was a member of Victor Valley 4Wheelers in the early 90's and helped Chuck Shaner and the crew build the Sledgehammer. Which was the very first Hammer trail. And Fuzzy was the first to make it through in a shackle lifted Jeep with a believe 31" BFG all terrains. When we get moved I'll post up some old pics of it. I never could take my FJ40 with 35's (the largest any one ran back then) on the Sledge due to raising kids and having no money for lockers. So this Jeep will take us to all trails out west. I have the ability with my job to take off whenever and for however long I want so there will be at least a couple trips a year out west to Fun in the Desert, Rubicon, Choke cherry, Colorado. Blah blah blah. So you kinda get my point? I just have been reading about guys changing coils in the Coilovers and not any bad on the DTD. But I would like to do the work myself unless some of you with knowledge on the Coilovers would steer me toward the DTD. This is my FJ40 back in the day. She did pretty well without lockers but pretty good isn't good enough. image.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I totally get it and since you plan on taking multiple trips a year than you would prob get the benefit out of the DTD if you going to bomb thru the desert more often. In that case if you want to be able to do the work yourself look at the bolt on coilovers with the long arm. You get all the flex plus the ability to bomb thru the desert but at a lesser cost. Plus as I said you can do the work yourself.

jolly

Congrats!

Nice rig, how long is that in total? What i always found great on US-trucks are the sleeper cabins. So much more space than the ones over here.

JamesCo

Cozdude I was hoping you'd say that. You having the Coilovers would know. I think I'd rather go the Coilovers direction but what spring rates are you using or have you even changed from the stock ones that come from EVO?

Jolly my total length from tractor bumper to trailer bumper(which car haulers refer to as bumper to bumper because we don't change trailers) is 76' 6" when I'm empty. We just as of this year are allowed to go up to 80' bumper to bumper and 10' over hang front and rear combined. 4' up front and 6' out back. My total length in the picture including the vehicles is around 83'. We will be ordering a new truck early next year and we are going to spec it out to be around 78' bumper to bumper.

JamesCo

Btw Cozdude, we used to haul the Jeeps to your area a few years ago. I think Moore transport hauls them now. But that is always subject to change in this world. We could be doing them again starting tomorrow.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Cozdude I was hoping you'd say that. You having the Coilovers would know. I think I'd rather go the Coilovers direction but what spring rates are you using or have you even changed from the stock ones that come from EVO?

Jolly my total length from tractor bumper to trailer bumper(which car haulers refer to as bumper to bumper because we don't change trailers) is 76' 6" when I'm empty. We just as of this year are allowed to go up to 80' bumper to bumper and 10' over hang front and rear combined. 4' up front and 6' out back. My total length in the picture including the vehicles is around 83'. We will be ordering a new truck early next year and we are going to spec it out to be around 78' bumper to bumper.
I am still running the stock spring rates (250/250 front and 200/250 rear) and have no intensions of changing them. After talking with Drew at off road evolution the other day about how they set the coilovers on 2 door builds they do I was happy to hear they leave it as is. Now on a 4 door people will put heavier duty springs on just due to shear weight with bumpers and such being added on.

Btw Cozdude, we used to haul the Jeeps to your area a few years ago. I think Moore transport hauls them now. But that is always subject to change in this world. We could be doing them again starting tomorrow.
Ah very cool!

JamesCo

Sounds good Cozdude. Think I'll talk to Drew when I'm ready to order in a couple months. Thanks for the info.

Modit

Congratulations on your accomplishment!
If I lived in TN and could afford a $7000/month truck payment the solution would be simple. I'd take one of those unlimited vacations and and head to CA. After I got there if find a nice, rust free CA JK and have the guys who designed and manufacture the suspension do the install of the DTD! I'd get the axles installed at the same time.
I'm sure you've worked your ass off to get where you are so you deserve it!

highoctane

Caught the Bug
One other benefit of the DTD over the bolt on coilovers is the 14" of front and rear travel the DTD offers vs the 11.75" travel (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that) that the bolt on coilovers offer. What kind of terrain you'll be wheeling in will determine wether or not you'll actually use that additional 2" or so of travel. There is also an increase in ground clearance under the rear axle with the DTD kit. There is nothing that hangs down significantly below the axle tubes, no lower control arm/coilover mounts to get hung up on. With the high clearance brackets in the long arm kit, the lower control arm mounts barely hang below the axle tubes. The high clearance kit also moves the rear control arms fwd mounts above the frame rail, giving increased clearance there as well.

DTD rear w/high clearance control arm brackets (included in the high clearance long arm kit)
Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 8.25.30 PM.jpg

Bolt on coilovers with the included Evo Rockstar skid lower control arm/lower coilover mount and the standard Evo bolt on long arm kit.
Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 8.32.35 PM.jpg

Last edited:

JamesCo

Congratulations on your accomplishment!
If I lived in TN and could afford a $7000/month truck payment the solution would be simple. I'd take one of those unlimited vacations and and head to CA. After I got there if find a nice, rust free CA JK and have the guys who designed and manufacture the suspension do the install of the DTD! I'd get the axles installed at the same time.
I'm sure you've worked your ass off to get where you are so you deserve it!

Funny you should say that and figure out what our payments have been. We've been making $3500 payments every 2 weeks. And yes, we've been working our asses off. My wife happens to agree with you about doing it up the way I really want with the DTD and allowing EVO to do the entire install. Gotta love her!! My Brother still lives in SoCal so it'd be a great reason to take a couple weeks off. I just like doing all the wrenching myself as I've spent almost 10 years turning wrenches on military HMMWV's out at NTC Ft. Irwin California back in the 80's and 90's. So the ability is there. But like my wife and you say, It would be nice to take a breather and let the EVO crew do it up right. Now to start banking the money to get it done!:clap2:

Modit

I know what you mean. I love wrenching on my stuff too. But if you are going to build your "dream rig", there will be plenty of other stuff to do. Bumpers, winch, lights, steering, storage, on board air, transfer case?, engine swap?
It sounds like you are going to put a bunch of miles on this thing and really get some trail use out of it. Might as well start with a good base done by people who have done many of them.
Would probably end up with more smiles per gallon, as I like to say.

JamesCo

Definitely lots of miles. And most probably a Hemi swap by this time next year. Figuring Jeep build by end of this year then property and house build starting next spring then Hemi when that's all done. My wife says I always shop "high to low!". :idontknow: She seems to think I'm the high maintenance part of this marriage. I just think that you get what you pay for and if you want it then get off your ass and work for it! Funny thing is she's glad you guys are reaffirming what she keeps telling me. "Get what you want!" And I want this!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 112

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Definitely lots of miles. And most probably a Hemi swap by this time next year. Figuring Jeep build by end of this year then property and house build starting next spring then Hemi when that's all done. My wife says I always shop "high to low!". :idontknow: She seems to think I'm the high maintenance part of this marriage. I just think that you get what you pay for and if you want it then get off your ass and work for it! Funny thing is she's glad you guys are reaffirming what she keeps telling me. "Get what you want!" And I want this!

Why not do the DTD mounts and run them with coilovers only. Then, if you feel the need to run the bypass shocks later on you are already set up to do so. If you do the bolt on coilovers now and decide you need the DTD later you will be starting over. I have seen several on here start out with a DTD with a single coilover at each end and add the bypass shocks to the already existing DTD mounts when the felt the need or saved up the money. Just another option!

uberc4

Save up and do it right the first time. I ran into this debate with myself about bolt-on vs DTD. Just be prepared for sticker shock because the DTD, PR 60/80's, and 40s don't come cheap. Lol

benatc1

Hooked
^^This..though I have yet to build to what you are aspiring too, I would definitely recommend doing it right, the way you want it the first time. I've wasted alot of money through trial and error in the attempt to save money

JamesCo

I agree with you guys. I've been trolling this site for months before becoming a member and have searched EVO suspension INTENSLY. I just had it boiled down to UD60's or ProRocks with EVO coil overs or DTD. I've decided to go the ProRock direction after reading Eddie say that he wanted to count on an axle not breaking miles from nowhere. Where I lived and wheeled in SoCal which was around Barstow and Victorville there was lots of "miles from nowhere!". So that decision was made clear. But I've seen the coilovers on Eddie's rig and many others and it seems like the second shit in line. But now you all are agreeing with my awesome wife with saying do it all the best way. So I'm figuring if I work hard until the end of the year I'll have enough to do just that and take a new JKU to EVO and have it done. The only two things I don't like about the DTD is the exhaust exit location and not being able to put another fuel tank on (Genright) for our Alaska trip I'm planning for late next year or maybe the next!:idontknow:

Last edited:
Top Bottom