Got me some bowed front springs after LCAs install

I just put on RK adjustable front lower control arms last night. I didn't notice until today that my front coil springs (3.5" RK's) are bowed a little bit...they were not bowed before the install. They are definitely still on the perch. I should note the ride so far, since putting in the control arms, is better than before and you can absolutely feel the solidness of the new arms. Springs feel the same exact as they did before the arms install when driving as well.

Should I be worried about bowed springs? (they're not THAT bowed, but noticeable and still on perch). Could they straighten out after being driven with over time? (I've only driven maybe 40 miles since install).

Any thoughts greatly appreciate, Thanks!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
As you know, and probably the reason you installed the LCA's, was to help you set caster which is accomplished by rotating the axle housing. That is going to cause a slight bow in the spring due to the spring perch rotating with the housing. As long as your caster isn't way out of spec the bow should be very minimal and nothing to be worried about.

Jeepfan30

I just put on RK adjustable front lower control arms last night. I didn't notice until today that my front coil springs (3.5" RK's) are bowed a little bit...they were not bowed before the install. They are definitely still on the perch. I should note the ride so far, since putting in the control arms, is better than before and you can absolutely feel the solidness of the new arms. Springs feel the same exact as they did before the arms install when driving as well.

Should I be worried about bowed springs? (they're not THAT bowed, but noticeable and still on perch). Could they straighten out after being driven with over time? (I've only driven maybe 40 miles since install).

How long were the arms adjusted to before you installed them? If your caster is at an acceptable range (4°-5.5°) they shouldn't be bowed too bad, not bad enough to worry about anyway.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How long were the arms adjusted to before you installed them? If your caster is at an acceptable range (4°-5.5°) they shouldn't be bowed too bad, not bad enough to worry about anyway.

Wow where are you getting your numbers from? That's a hell of a range.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I understand that it was a range. 5.5 degrees is a lot of castor.

Gotcha. Some guys run around there though. I personally have about 3.5 as that was the happy medium between caster and pinion angle for me. But before I started adjusting it was at 5.2 and still rode pretty good. Can't remember offhand what stock is but I thought I remember somewhere between 4 and 5.

Gotcha. Some guys run around there though. I personally have about 3.5 as that was the happy medium between caster and pinion angle for me. But before I started adjusting it was at 5.2 and still rode pretty good. Can't remember offhand what stock is but I thought I remember somewhere between 4 and 5.
Its 4.2 i believe.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

Mike, post a pic. Or shoot me a pic via text. :thumb:
It sounds like a caster issue maybe? That or the springs need to be rotated to fall into the seats completely.

Mike, post a pic. Or shoot me a pic via text. :thumb:
It sounds like a caster issue maybe? That or the springs need to be rotated to fall into the seats completely.

Thanks Dave, meant to post a pic today. I'll post one tomorrow. Update though - passenger side seems to have straightened since Fri night, but driver's side still bent. Could definitely be a spring rotation issue. I'll check back in tomorrow.

Getting around to this today. Here are a couple pics of the passenger side. Driver side seems to have straightened out.

Attachments

• 1466432824394.jpg
    1466432824394.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 1466432837575.jpg
    1466432837575.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 88

rogerk93

Check your caster it looks like it is going to be pretty off. Your coils should not be bowed like that if your measurements are correct. Also Make sure your axle is centered. I would cycle the suspension to see if anything comes Into contact when it shouldn't.

hmm, it does look like the axle is rotated back a bit, Have you checked caster? do you have adjustable uppers also? :hmm:

no adjustable uppers, still stock there. i haven't checked caster, do i need a specific angle finder to check that accurately? would a simple alignment straighten them out?

Top Bottom