DIY Cold Air intake yll

kgxi08

I normally start with getting my jeep to breathe better as a good mod start, Cold Air intake & Exhaust. But I thought maybe I could diy the Cold Air intake this time. Just want to know has anyone done this on a 3.8L?

Frydaddy

I normally start with getting my jeep to breathe better as a good mod start, Cold Air intake & Exhaust. But I thought maybe I could diy the Cold Air intake this time. Just want to know has anyone done this on a 3.8L?

That's usually how I like to start out. Get rid of those weird resonance chambers and open the pipes. But from what I've read, the general consensus is to keep it all stock. Stories of cylinder wall scoring and premature wear regardless of how good of a system you get.

kgxi08

That's usually how I like to start out. Get rid of those weird resonance chambers and open the pipes. But from what I've read, the general consensus is to keep it all stock. Stories of cylinder wall scoring and premature wear regardless of how good of a system you get.

Damn! Really? Haven't heard that before, considering so many jeepers do it

The drawbacks far outweigh what little gains you'll get, if any. Opening up your filter system just makes it that much easier for dirt and debris to get into your engine when off-roading and if you like to play in the water at all, hydro locking your motor could be an issue as well. It's your jeep... Do what you want

Frydaddy

Damn! Really? Haven't heard that before, considering so many jeepers do it

Decades of tradition, and these new Fiat engines are so darn particular, It scares me to do even the simplest jobs for fear of screwing it all up. Ask me what color coolant I have.

Timely edit:
and if you like to play in the water at all, hydro locking your motor could be an issue as well.
Good point, Ive heard that where the stock intake is, and the curve of the hood, perfectly funnels any water from the fan right into the dang engine. Is this true?
http://jalopnik.com/5697449/why-did-a-new-jeep-wrangler-die-in-ten-inches-of-water

Last edited:

kgxi08

I wouldn't even do that. The stock filter has the best performance to protection ratio you can get.

Got it. I mean I always heard this but I've had cold airs before and no problems. But I I'll definitely listen to you guys.

WJCO

Meme King
If you keep this thing on the road, do whatever you want. If you plan on using it a lot offroad, I would recommend staying stock.

kgxi08

My plan was to use it as a way to get better air flow I know there some gain. But I would definitely use my stock off road. I don't throw stock away at least something like that

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't even do that. The stock filter has the best performance to protection ratio you can get.

Ty, would you mind posting up a reference for that claim? I'm curious to see how that was tested.

Thanks! :thumb:

Top Bottom