Waiting on the shop...

gkurts

I bought my Jeep (used, 50k miles) on Saturday and had to take it in today to replace an axle seal that was leaking. No big deal I guess. Well the shop called me a little while ago and said that they pulled the diff cover off to check things over really well and found chipped teeth and metal chunks in it. Ugh! Thankfully it's all covered under the powertrain warranty.

I keep wondering if I made a mistake but I sure hope not. Kudos to them for being thorough but I just want it back! Thanks for letting me rant! :)

Lank

That's really lucky that they found it before you grenaded the thing on the highway! Did the previous owner have it regeared? If not, I wonder what could have caused this under stock conditions

gkurts

No idea. Best I can tell is that it is bone stock and has been. I don't see any bolts or any other signs of things being swapped. The factory shocks and all are still in place so I don't think it was regeared. The only thing that we could come up with us maybe the previous owner didn't treat it so nicely in the snow or ice and had one wheel spinning really fast or something. I dunno. I'm going to call them in the morning and tell them to pull the front diff cover while they have it to check it out, too. All of the stock bushings and everything else seem to be fine. The only other problem that I found with it is that the front air dam is a bit "floppy"... But it's coming off soon anyway. LOL

gkurts

Got a call today saying that they are stripping the rear end down and deciding if they should rebuild it or replace the entire thing. I'm pushing for a replacement. They did agree to pull the front diff cover off, too, to check it out, so there's that. I'd like to have this thing back soon seeing as I just got it on Saturday and it has been in the shop since Monday. Oh well, could be worse.

Dreadedsoldier

I've been waiting since Thursday for them to do a clutch bearing that they had in stock. Then told Monday it was ordered in and got there Monday afternoon will be done Tuesday. Called today for an update and had to leave a message. Been waiting an hour at this time for him to call me back. It could be worse haha...

pinkcamotexan

I've been waiting since Thursday for them to do a clutch bearing that they had in stock. Then told Monday it was ordered in and got there Monday afternoon will be done Tuesday. Called today for an update and had to leave a message. Been waiting an hour at this time for him to call me back. It could be worse haha...

Love your "go with it" attitude!!!

pinkcamotexan

I bought my Jeep (used, 50k miles) on Saturday and had to take it in today to replace an axle seal that was leaking. No big deal I guess. Well the shop called me a little while ago and said that they pulled the diff cover off to check things over really well and found chipped teeth and metal chunks in it. Ugh! Thankfully it's all covered under the powertrain warranty.

I keep wondering if I made a mistake but I sure hope not. Kudos to them for being thorough but I just want it back! Thanks for letting me rant! :)

I totally understand your wondering if you make a mistake. I too have wondered the same thing. Just stay positive and hopefully you will have no more problems after this.

gkurts

Yep. They called this afternoon and said that they are rebuilding the entire rear end. Apparently it had some gears that were torn up pretty bad. Looking at about a week they said. Sigh... On the plus side, they pulled the front diff cover and said it was pristine and that all bushings, seals, etc are on great shape. So there's that.

pinkcamotexan

Yep. They called this afternoon and said that they are rebuilding the entire rear end. Apparently it had some gears that were torn up pretty bad. Looking at about a week they said. Sigh... On the plus side, they pulled the front diff cover and said it was pristine and that all bushings, seals, etc are on great shape. So there's that.

If there is a silver lining, you found it!!! On a serious note, glad they are taking care of you!!!

gkurts

Sigh.... Still waiting on them. Got a call today that the last part they were waiting on (the chunk) came in this afternoon so they hope to have it back to me Tuesday. I'm skeptical but still hopeful!

Top Bottom