World's tallest thermometer up for sale

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I talked to Moochie about this over the weekend and yes, it is true. Probably the only real identifiable landmark indicating that you've arrived in Baker, CA is up for sale...

[video]http://news.yahoo.com/video/worlds-tallest-thermometer-sale-084932458.html[/video]

It'd be nice if they could keep it around but, I have my doubts.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I agree. It would be cool if they could figure out a way to keep it but I doubt it. And the price tag is hefty for that property!:shock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!!

I think the location and visibility of it is what commands the high pricetag more than anything. I'm sure whoever were to buy it would just raze it.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
8 grand a month is a heck of an electrical bill. Someone ought to install an LP generator or some source of solar power to make the thing work cheaply. It would be great advertisement for the person that buys the property.

Probably be a great place for a restaurant/brewery!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely going LED and installing some solar panels to light them up would be the way to go but, the initial investment would be steep and who knows for what kind of return.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I would be interested to know the lot size. 1.75 M really doesn't seem that much for a commercial lot in Cali. Compared to TX the property rates seem sky high. Baker does look like a small place but the amount of traffic and potential customers that passes by the thermometer must huge.

I'm sure a rework of the sign could get pretty expensive. If you had the right business there it could pay for itself. :idontknow:

I'm not buyin it! I have to buy Jeep parts. :honey:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Just put an LED sign on it that says 105* in the summer and 50* in the winter. Nobody would know the difference. :cheesy:

Top Bottom