Hardtop insulation

shortyokc

Here in oklahoma we have hit the 100 deg mark which is cooler than some states that hit 120. I got in the back seat after a 20 min drive on the interstate and noticed how much hotter it is in the rear where my 2 year old is. I looked around at the insulation kits but $300 is crazy for material over foam. I was looking at some diy and seen some buy 1/4 insulation board and covered in headliner fabric for right at $100. Then there are others using workout mats, yoga mats, foam tread plate rolls from local department stores. Anyone here done anything similar with any real results.

Seen a few DIY insulation jobs. They usually don't look as good IMO compared to the kits. (which don't look that great either)

Shade and cranking the AC a few minutes before you load up is your best and cheapest option. After 20 minutes of driving I don't see how the back hadn't cooled off yet.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I was just home in OK the last week and a half. It was hot and now getting that way here plus the humidity.

I was halfway through a diy insulation kit on my 09 that I started in NM. It was 1" foam and I think it made a difference. The foam was cut and installed in a removable fashion. Never could decide what to cover it with.

My 13 has a white roof on the top of the freedom panels butI havent coated the rear yet. It is a huge difference in temp. I used spray rubber coating in case I didn't like the look of whitetop and black sides on a white jeep. It may have an insulating property but is very thin coating, so it can't be much. Took 6 cans i think just to do that. I will peel it off and paint eventually.

Anything is better than nothing I think. I Plan to add something on the inside some day. Some of the ideas help deaden the sounds as well.

TRLJNKY

If your looking for insulation to help keep it cool on a long road march than insulation may help. Other than that, if its freaking hot outside, its going to be 160° in there if its insulated or not. Im a desert native (lived in socal and Vegas for most my life). If your going for sound deading than for sure but if your going "green" for energy efficiency, I wouldnt waste my time, look ,or energy. Only way to keep it cool would be to leave the AC running for long periods.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've got the hothead headliners in my 2010 and it's a big difference compared to my 2015 without.
Texas heat right now sucks

Tnlrat37

+1 on hothead headliners, I noticed a drastic difference in how hot it gets when parked in the sun, also it made my stereo sound better because it dampens road noise also. Not cheap but worth it.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Hothead full liner set in my '15 as well with the rear window surrounds. Noticeably quieter and I don't feel the heat from the hardtop even in the AZ heat.

utiadam

LOSER
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466839171.596154.jpg
This is my DIY headliner. I used 1" foam insulation board wrapped in black vinyl. I have more details in my build thread.

Rottenbelly

Living in the deep south when I had my first jeep I needed to do something ton beat the heat.
Made my panels out of R5 insulation, covered in carpet .
About 55 bucks in materials when I did it. I put the silver side up to help reflect heat.

Then I taped off 4 inches from the edges on my hardtop and let my daughter roll some gloss white on top.
Made a HUGE difference on inside temps of the jeep.

LasVegasJK

Living in the deep south when I had my first jeep I needed to do something ton beat the heat.
Made my panels out of R5 insulation, covered in carpet .
About 55 bucks in materials when I did it. I put the silver side up to help reflect heat.

Then I taped off 4 inches from the edges on my hardtop and let my daughter roll some gloss white on top.
Made a HUGE difference on inside temps of the jeep.

I've been considering painting my hardtop like that. Did you prep it, or just tape it off and roll it?

Rottenbelly

I've been considering painting my hardtop like that. Did you prep it, or just tape it off and roll it?

I lightly scuffed it with a red scrub pad. Then let my daughter roll it with gloss white rustOleam paint.
I had one little spot flake off one time, so I scuffed it and touched it up and it never happened again.

LasVegasJK

I lightly scuffed it with a red scrub pad. Then let my daughter roll it with gloss white rustOleam paint.
I had one little spot flake off one time, so I scuffed it and touched it up and it never happened again.

Thanks. I gotta do something to try to negate the Nevada sun. When it's over 100* for 3 months, any relief from the sun/heat is a bonus.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I have to finish painting the top of mine white. It makes a HUGE difference. I did the freedom panels 3 years ago, but frankly I have gotten lazy. Moved 2 years ago to a humid state from dry Albuquerque.

image.jpg

Last edited:

TRLJNKY

Ive been schooled. Good to know the insulation helps. I retract my earlier statement. Lesson learned :)

RolandJKU

Edit : search "The Noggle" amazon has some.

At a meet up for go topless day, there was a JKU with what looked like a dryer vent tube but smaller diameter that went over the AC vents to the car seats in the back. The kids seemed content with it and not overheated.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I added some external foam insulation. I could make it thicker that way.

That is over 8" thick. Works real good

image.jpg

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Nice clean look. Did you glue each peice toghter ? Will you be doing a write up on this MOD

First you sand the hardtop - then spray adhesive - stick the first layer down. Then spray adhesive and add each layer until you reach your desired thickness. Then use ratchet straps to hold in place until the adhesive cures.

Take your time and line each layer up - i messed that up and will likely have to get a new hardtop and start over. An extra pair of hands would come in, well, handy.

I guess I could just sand the edges. I could even round over the front for aerodynamics.

Top Bottom