Changed the Starter I. My Btothers 2008 JKU

mo0s3

Now there is a humming and a initial grind on start up. Anyone have a fix for this ?

Last edited:

Devallee

Was there any debris on the flywheel or in the crankcase at all? I just changed the starter in my 09 and had a bunch of debris and mud in there so I made sure to clean it out really well with some brake cleaner before installing the new starter. Maybe give that a try. And while you have it off I would check all the teeth on the flywheel too to make sure none of em are damaged at all

Devallee

It'll definitely make a different sound than the old starter just because it's new and not worn out. My new one had a funny sounding hum at first too but I just assumed it was normal for a new starter and left it alone. But any grinding sounds unusual

WJCO

Meme King
Post a video of the noise if you can. Also, if you bought aftermarket or reman, it could have been a bad build. I've seen a ton of bad starters and alternators from parts stores over the years.

mo0s3

Yeah I'm at a loss, 5 different starters... Shims and still no go. Maybe it's the flex plate

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah I'm at a loss, 5 different starters... Shims and still no go. Maybe it's the flex plate

5 different starters! I didn't realize that. Yeah, check your flex plate teeth and see if you can move it (as if it were cracked). Not common on a Jeep, but still could be something to look for. They would usually crack in the middle, may not be something you could even diagnose with the trans still installed.
Flexplate20001.jpg

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Post a video of the noise if you can. Also, if you bought aftermarket or reman, it could have been a bad build. I've seen a ton of bad starters and alternators from parts stores over the years.

So when I went through the GM ASEP program at a tech school the school purchased 10 reman starters and 10 reman alternators. We put them on a bench test system before we took them apart to look inside and then we were supposed to put them back together and put them back on the bench test system again to make sure we got them back together correctly. Well some of them tested bad prior to us taking them apart. Others had just part of the replaceable parts replaced, while others had everything replaceable replaced. They were all the same part number and the same price. So it sucks, some were really better than others.

mo0s3

So when I went through the GM ASEP program at a tech school the school purchased 10 reman starters and 10 reman alternators. We put them on a bench test system before we took them apart to look inside and then we were supposed to put them back together and put them back on the bench test system again to make sure we got them back together correctly. Well some of them tested bad prior to us taking them apart. Others had just part of the replaceable parts replaced, while others had everything replaceable replaced. They were all the same part number and the same price. So it sucks, some were really better than others.

Yeah we took it back and got another starter and no more grinding :)
Turns out the alternator was the Humming noise so that is all fixed thank god

Top Bottom