JKU Rear Axle Stretch

303DAILY

I have two issues right now. I bent my rear control arm and with my 3inch lift on 37inch tires I rub my wheel well. So my big question is should I just get another set of stock lowers and trim or should I stretch the rear axle a couple inches and not trim the rear.
I would love to hear some feed back and details from people who have done either??
I did search but did not find any info on this so far. :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You need to realize that your control arm is essentially the hypotenuse of a right triangle. Just because you lift your Jeep 3" does NOT mean your control arm needs to be lengthened by 2" or even 1". To do so would make them WAY TOO LONG. You need to understand that as your axle stuffs, it will travel in an ARC and the rubbing you're seeing is coming all from your tires and NOT from the length of your control arm. While you could benefit from adjustable control arms so that you can set them a tad bit longer to reposition them under your 3" lifted Jeep at ride height, the difference is LESS than an inch. Long story short, you NEED to TRIM. :cool:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Trim like Eddie said. And that arm doesn't look to bad. I have seen worse. If your really that worried about it then just get a new stock lower

303DAILY

You need to realize that your control arm is essentially the hypotenuse of a right triangle. Just because you lift your Jeep 3" does NOT mean your control arm needs to be lengthened by 2" or even 1". To do so would make them WAY TOO LONG. You need to understand that as your axle stuffs, it will travel in an ARC and the rubbing you're seeing is coming all from your tires and NOT from the length of your control arm. While you could benefit from adjustable control arms so that you can set them a tad bit longer to reposition them under your 3" lifted Jeep at ride height, the difference is LESS than an inch. Long story short, you NEED to TRIM. :cool:

Ha ha well that answers that question lol. I definitely didn't want to mess up the geometry of my rear control arms. I just didn't expect them to bend so quickly, I do realize that their length has no effect on the rocks I smash them on. Yet having to get a new rear control arm anyway thought it might be nice to move it backwards rather than trim. That will save me some money though trimming and just getting another set of stock rear control arms. Or do you recommend any stronger ones, Evo doesn't even offer them. I cant Emagine on the only one that has smashed them.

Top Bottom