FILL'er UP - New Gas Tank for Pappy

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When Cindy and I decided to buy Pappy, our 1954 Willys CJ3B, we did so with the knowledge he had some issues that need to be addressed and a few sooner than later. Among the things that made the "sooner" list was his gas tank. Looking under the hood, I saw what looked like rust in the fuel filter and a quick peek inside the filler neck with a flashlight verified as much. From the outside, the gas tank did appear to be in pretty good shape but a closer look revealed that some patch work had been done to the back of it. Of course, while I was there, I also noticed there wasn't a wire going to the sending unit and that was probably because there was no sending unit. Needless to say, addressing all this was next up on my to do list and the following will show you what all I had to do.

Again, I really have to give props to Omix-Ada for being such a HUGE supporter of old iron and for continuing to make OE parts for them. After doing a quick search on their website, I was able to find an exact match for a replacement CJ3B steel gas tank, sending unit, sending unit gasket, filler neck grommet, gas cap and strap.
main.php

As you can see in this photo, Pappy's gas tank really doesn't look so bad on the outside.
main.php

Here's a shot of the locking gas cap that came with him. Being as old as it was, it tended to stick and was difficult to remove the key from it so I planned on replacing it. You can also see that the filler neck grommet was corroded and not doing much of anything.
main.php

To being the swap, I siphoned whatever gas I could out of the existing tank.
main.php

Next, I climbed under the Jeep and removed the drain to get the remaining gas out.
main.php

I placed a funnel in a small 2 gallon gas can to capture the remaining fuel.
main.php

Using a flare nut wrench, I disconnected the fuel inlet line from the tank.
main.php

Up on top again, I then removed the 3 bolts securing the driver seat to the tub.
main.php

With the seat removed, you can get a better look at the patch work that was done at some point and time to the top of the gas tank.
main.php

Time to remove the gas tank strap.
main.php

With the strap removed, the fuel inlet line disconnected and the gas cap off, the gas tank can now be removed from the tub.
main.php

Shot of what the tub looks like without a gas tank installed.
main.php

This rubber filler neck grommet has seen better days. Good thing I have a replacement.
main.php

Installing my new Omix-Ada rubber filler neck grommet.
main.php

Carefully installing my new Omix-Ada CJ3B gas tank.
main.php

Making sure that the filler neck protector is doing its job.
main.php

After placing a new gasket on to the top of the gas tank, I inserted the new sending unit into it.
main.php

The bolt pattern is specific and you need to line up the bolt holes on the sending unit with the gasket and the gas tank.
main.php

I had to pick up some brass screws from the hardware store in order to secure the sending unit on to the gas tank.
main.php

Time to secure the new gas tank to the tub using the new strap I got.
main.php

main.php

And, here's what the new gas tank looks like installed.
main.php

Here you can see the fuel gauge wire being connected to the top of the sending unit.
main.php

Now the driver seat can be reinstalled.
main.php

Time to climb back under the jeep and connect the fuel inlet line to the bottom of the gas tank.
main.php

And just like that, Pappy has a new gas tank.
main.php

main.php

After pouring the gas I siphoned off into Pappy's new gas tank and checking for leaks, I took a drive down to the gas station and filled him up.
main.php

main.php

Look at that - a fuel gauge that actually works!
main.php

JeepJeep75

Even with brand new parts, those old jeeps have so much character! Pappy is looking sharp with his new accessories. [emoji106]

WJCO

Meme King
That is cool. I wouldn't have even knew where the fuel tank was. I would have mistaken it for a Tuffy box.

GeckoMonkey

I wish vehicles were this easy to work on. Makes me want to get a Pappy! Odd question, did you have to use metal bands? Would a strap like brace have worked? Maybe it would be less quiet with no metal on metal contact (not that it makes noise now)? Just a question though :bleh:

Top Bottom