CB radio

Jayanthony

This may be in the wrong section and I apologize.. probably a stupid question I'm in the process of buying a cb radio. Does it matter if it's just a cheap walmart one if I'm just using around the trails?

tucked

I have a cheap uniden in each of my Jeeps. They work well for what I need/do. Get a good antenna (and have it tuned) and I think you will be just happy with whichever model you choose.

Jayanthony

I have a cheap uniden in each of my Jeeps. They work well for what I need/do. Get a good antenna (and have it tuned) and I think you will be just happy with whichever model you choose.

Thanks man I appreciate it, any suggestions on antenna brand?

swampdog

cav♤fighter;725034 said:
I literally just installed a cheaper Uniden and 4' Firestik II.

My cheap Uniden 510 and firestik 2 transmits and receives so well. You will be happy with that setup as long as it is tuned correctly.

TRLJNKY

My cheap Uniden 510 and firestik 2 transmits and receives so well. You will be happy with that setup as long as it is tuned correctly.

I got the PRO505XL. It doesn't have the bells and whistles but had great reviews for functionality. To the OP, I think I spent a total of $120 for everything. The radio, mounts, antenna, and cable. I just put it in the other day. I still need to tune and perform a commo check with my neighbor. NevadaZielMeister and benatc1, I just don't want to be "that guy" again lol.

chipper

I have the Uniden 505 as well. Works great for me. I got it from a CB shop peaked and tuned. Think it was able to get 5 or 6 watts. Every little bit helps. Just match it up with a good coax and antenna. Btw, most CB shops will tell you to use 21ft of coax to get a better tune.

Ddays

Hooked
Why 21' and not the usual 18'? I'm taking my rig to a CB shop Saturday to get mine tuned. I've lost patience trying to get mine working properly.

Kyle7R

Very happy with my Uniden PRO520XL and my 3 foot Firestik. Right at 100 bucks invested in the whole thing, including the antenna mount and 18' coax.

chipper

Why 21' and not the usual 18'? I'm taking my rig to a CB shop Saturday to get mine tuned. I've lost patience trying to get mine working properly.

I'm not sure, i drive a semi for a living and have been using cb's for 20 yrs. multiple cb's and setups and every shop I've been to says 21'. I've never had a tuning problem. Hopefully they can help you out

Edit: also the way you have your radio powered maybe the problem. You could be getting interference with other electronics in your rig, radio, alternator, fans... They sell filters to help out with that. Or just change how it's run.

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I have the Uniden 505 as well. Works great for me. I got it from a CB shop peaked and tuned. Think it was able to get 5 or 6 watts. Every little bit helps. Just match it up with a good coax and antenna. Btw, most CB shops will tell you to use 21ft of coax to get a better tune.

This is like an old wives tale. It does need to be in increments of 3, but 21 ft will have no bearing on the tune compared to 18 if its tuned and grounded correctly.

chipper

This is like an old wives tale. It does need to be in increments of 3, but 21 ft will have no bearing on the tune compared to 18 if its tuned and grounded correctly.

Yup. I never understood it either. Seemed like a lot of extra coax to deal with. But, they where the pros so I took their advice. What crazy is most people tuning problem that I've seen is from that little plastic washer on the stud where the antenna mounts. Or the stud itself.

spencerd45

Not sure about the 21 foot length. I bought an 18 foot since I only have a 2 door and mine tuned out fine. The key is adjusting the tip with an swr meter

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
18 feet of Co-ax line is perfect, just be sure to get a good quality line. I would recommend RG8X cable. Also, the Cobra 29 has its own SWR adjustment, no need to adjust the Firestik II as they are already tuned for the JK.

Top Bottom