Smittybilt SRC Cage review

geberhard

Douchebag
This is more of a review than a write-up, but I wanted to provide some info on the Smittybilt SRC trail cage as these have been mythical and in back order for a while. I was looking for a bolt on solution to strengthen the JK before I take the plunge for a full cage (one tons are higher priority, safety is #2 JK), and was looking at both Rock Hard and Smitty options. I have the Rockhard 3rd row cage extension setup and like the quality however I have been waiting to check the SRC cage and it finally appeared locally with a merchant (and also a Jeeper) I normally buy parts from, so I was able to get one this last weekend and I installed it yesterday.

Total install time was about 4 hours, and basic tools and a drill are needed. I did the install at home by myself however two people would make it a much easier process (I think 2-3 hours maximum). The box comes very well packed, and I was surprised by the good instructions. For me a good selling point was the powder coating already done, and getting them quickly locally in a couple of days. I would have considered Rockhard if it was already powdercoated. I just wanted something I can run a couple seasons that will add more protection to the passengers as I have been taking more aggressive lines at the mall :D

The most time consuming part for me was installing the first A pillar mount on the passenger side.; It is a tight spot, and sliding the one piece assembly that mounts to the cowl and windshield bar assembly is a bit tricky for the first time. The driver’s side was a breeze in comparison (learning curve rocked on!). The rest of the install is very straightforward and took less than one hour.

The setup is pretty robust, I like the design, good finish and the fact it also includes additional optional foam padding.

Pros:
-Price
-Factory powdercoated
-includes cage foams
-bolt on install, very minor body
-solid and removable across the dash bar and windshield bar

Cons:
-Powdercoating on the A pillar cowl mount nuts made it tricky to insert bolts. Running a little wire brush through a drill made it easy to clean.
-bar clamps are 3 piece rather than the common 2 piece. Leaves a bit of gap, but I believe may be common with this type of setup (i.e. rear Rockhard 3rd row has a small gap as well)
-like other bolt on kits it utilizes factory A to B pillar cross bar. I was hoping for a JK solution similar to the good old Toys by Troy cage on TJ’s that removes that part and provides a cleaner and stronger single piece.

Overall impression: As with other “bolt on” kits it is not an easy install (or at least not as easy as a TJ type cage install). Having done one now, I think I can probably do another one much quicker next time. The fact that the cage is ready to go in from the box (no painting or powdercoating) was a selling factor. I am tempted to grind one of the wheels in the future if I ever repaint to check the weld quality, but overall they seem very well executed (no visible buggers). The price is hard to beat including the full front to rear sections on the single kit. Better than a RH or Poison Spyder cage? I do not know, however it is way much better than my stock cage :)

A few quick pics below. I still need to finish tightening up all bolts, and trim plastic pieces and install visors, and padding, but pretty close to done:

20160622_073922.jpg 20160622_073913.jpg 20160622_073907.jpg 20160622_073855.jpg

Last edited:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
The cage looks good. In fact, Smittybilt has been coming out with some pretty intriguing stuff lately, like their overland trailer and safari top. What I worry about is the quality of the steel used and the welds. I've had my bout with China made stuff VS US made quality with Jeep parts before. How are the welds, powder coating and overall craftsmanship on this cage?

geberhard

Douchebag
They run about $700 complete front and rear powedercoated, so hard to pass on the deal. I like the craftsmanship, very clean overall and the powdercoating is very clean. They pack and pad the cage in the box big time, it has rubber padding all around teh corners etc, so came very well protected (but kind of a pain to unpack :)

The welds have the powdercoating over, however look very well done MIG, no bad spots or bubbling or cold welds I can see. the hardware is pretty good, and a couple allen tools included. I liked the fact I did not have to cut or trim teh stock dash (I believe RH instructions point to that).

One thing I would add is an additional mounting bolt on the center plate, but the two provided are plenty beef, you have to drill on both door seams and the thickness of the material there seems to be about a 1/ inch thick so use a good drillbit and patience :)

Mounting the A pillar was the only challenge area, I think a 2 person install would have made it way easier. You need toi slightly align and push up at the same time so the windshield bolts will align, I think the same way with RH.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I would never trust a smittybilt cage haha. Coming from the guy running front and rear bumpers from smittybilt. Spend that money on a better well made cage like rock hard 4x4.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Show me pics of one after a rollover and then I will believe it can do the job. Until then, no thanks. I've seen a lot of smitty's other products and have been very unimpressed (although I'm hoping the new trailer bucks that trend).

When it comes to a cage, I'll gladly spend the extra few hundred to get a product that I personally know has saved lives (like the Rock Hard or the OR-Fab that is unfortunately no longer made).

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
Is the stock cage inadequate in a rollover? I thought it was quite the step up from my CJ. It looks like it makes it harder to stand on the seat and flop the sun rider top back too.

trailraider

I 2nd the after roll over review.

what have they done in regards to testing?

if I'm going to put my life in the hands of a product I'm not going to make sure its 100% proven. im not going to buy one because I saved a few bucks and hope it works. just my thoughts.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Show me pics of one after a rollover and then I will believe it can do the job. Until then, no thanks. I've seen a lot of smitty's other products and have been very unimpressed (although I'm hoping the new trailer bucks that trend).

When it comes to a cage, I'll gladly spend the extra few hundred to get a product that I personally know has saved lives (like the Rock Hard or the OR-Fab that is unfortunately no longer made).

Agreed. I have seen tons of pics of the rock hard cage in a roll over and it was one of the main reasons I got it. Plus it's made in the USA with real steel. I would gladly buy it again for $700 bare steel and then paint it myself

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
don't know in the US but in Europe if you want to trust a cage it better be FIA / MSA certified...... all others are often accidents waiting to happen.

Rwa

Did you have to cut the dash ? Does it mount to the door seams at the A piller like Rockhard's cage or does it bolt to the dash mounting bolts like River Raider's cage

geberhard

Douchebag
No cutting of the dash what was one thing I liked. It mounts to the A Pillar (like RH) and on the cowl also mounts like the RH, you need to drill a couple holes on each side.

Again,all of the material and welds and finish look pretty solid. It is made of DOM .120 steel tubing what is pretty standard on similar bolt on cage kits and it normally what I used in cages in the past. It is not a substitute for a full custom or fully welded cage), but an add on sports cage like Rockhard. It will do the job better than the stock cage as it added some support and rigidity to the A and B pillars compared to stock.

I am pretty sure I would feel the same level of confidence with either a RH or Smittybilt cage as looking at both in person they are pretty much the same with some design differences. Brand aside, the I am planning to eventually build a full cage, so either the RH or Smittybilt would fit the bill right now and be a huge improvement over the stock cage.

geberhard

Douchebag
I 2nd the after roll over review. what have they done in regards to testing?

if I'm going to put my life in the hands of a product I'm not going to make sure its 100% proven. im not going to buy one because I saved a few bucks and hope it works. just my thoughts.

I have not seen after roll over reviews by any manufacturer making cages or in this case, sport cages. Aside from that, only online pics of people that had rollovers on their rigs (I do not consider that testing ;).

Most bolt on kits are sold as a sports bar, or something to limit their liability. Smittybilt cages are somewhat newer in the market (I think took forever to release them). I am not a fan of any specific manufacturer, my Jeeps are normally a mix of parts from multiple manufacturers and so far I have not been disappointed with parts I got. case in point, I have a RH rear third row section and a Smitty roll cage :)

Last edited:

geberhard

Douchebag
Really? I consider actual use by consumers to be the only real testing.

...and that is pretty much why drugs and vaccines end up getting tested on consumers :) All jokes aside, I probably need to search around for more rollover pics then ;)

I still think that side by side they are equivalent and they are both good products.

Last edited:

SHHHWAY

Looks Great!

Sport Cage looks Great and will know doubt provide additional protection in a roll over so I would imagine you have achieved the goal. I am a fan of made in the USA but that said I do own Smittybilt overhead screen, tonneau cover , rock rails, and compressor and all have been used and held up well so far.

Keep the rubber side down and have fun! Love the included padding too! :beer: Looking at the Poison Spyder "Sport Cage" for my rig but this does look great! BTW I just saw that Smittybilt is offering $130 immediate discount on this setup everywhere right now,,, hmmmmmm :eek:

Last edited:

geberhard

Douchebag
Thanks so far the setup has held up very well, no noises, no peeling on the powdercoat etc. I think overall a pretty clean and well made product, hard to beat price wise as it comes powdercoated and ready to install.

Top Bottom