Essential Off Road Items

WarHawk

I will be taking my Trailhawk on its second off-road adventure to Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area this weekend. I don't have a Wrangler, so I don't do anything too crazy with it. I'm wondering what items an experienced off-roader would take for some light trail riding. I would appreciate your recommendations for this newbie with a bone-stock Trailhawk.

GraniteCrystal

Everything you need to change a flat tire
Air compressor if you have one to inflate tires back to street pressure; else just don't deflate
Duct tape
Electrical tape
A socket set if you have one
Some zip ties
A flashlight

I'm assuming you aren't doing anything too difficult and are going by yourself

GeckoMonkey

Spare tire ... you'd be surprised who doesn't bring one ... from what I have seen. Although, I've never been hard core wheeling either :naw:

WJCO

Meme King
You should check out the overlanding gear thread, the first aid kit thread, and the tool thread. There's a lot of info over there and a lot of reasoning behind some of it. Really boils down to food, water, shelter, protection...basically anything your would need to sustain your party for a couple days just in case something went wrong and you had to wait for help. Obviously, tools and repair items may get you out of the mess you're in as well.

WarHawk

Everything you need to change a flat tire
Air compressor if you have one to inflate tires back to street pressure; else just don't deflate
Duct tape
Electrical tape
A socket set if you have one
Some zip ties
A flashlight

I'm assuming you aren't doing anything too difficult and are going by yourself

My Trailhawk came from the dealer with nitrogen in the tires. Should I go back with a normal setup so I can deflate and inflate the tires? I have driven on these trails before, but I was careful to avoid anything that looked too difficult.

WarHawk

You'll love Barnwell. We just had a big run out there last month and it was a lot of fun!

I was out there the Monday after Memorial Day. I'm taking friends with a 2010 Wrangler Sport and a 2006 Land Rover LR3. I had such a good time on that last trip that I wanted to share the experience with some friends.

Napalm

I was out there the Monday after Memorial Day. I'm taking friends with a 2010 Wrangler Sport and a 2006 Land Rover LR3. I had such a good time on that last trip that I wanted to share the experience with some friends.

Definitely a great time. I only live about an hour away, I'm sure I'll be back before the end of the year!

Napalm

If you see some clown in an Anvil colored Renegade stuck in the mud, be sure to stop and help me out!

LoL! I won't be back for awhile! But I'll make sure to look out. It would be cool to see a renegade on the trail in person :)

GraniteCrystal

My Trailhawk came from the dealer with nitrogen in the tires. Should I go back with a normal setup so I can deflate and inflate the tires? I have driven on these trails before, but I was careful to avoid anything that looked too difficult.

If you plan on running lots of trails in the future, you'll want some method to air back up. You can have nitrogen filled tires, air down, and air back up with regular air from a portable compressor. No need to bleed everything all the way down and convert to regular air.

WarHawk

If you plan on running lots of trails in the future, you'll want some method to air back up. You can have nitrogen filled tires, air down, and air back up with regular air from a portable compressor. No need to bleed everything all the way down and convert to regular air.

What should my air pressure be for dirt trails that don't have large rocks?

WJCO

Meme King
What should my air pressure be for dirt trails that don't have large rocks?

You may not even have to. But even going to the low 20s will make the ride more comfortable. Especially on spots that are full of small rocks.

GraniteCrystal

I run it at 35 psi.

I'm no expert but I'd think you'd be fine going to 20. There's not a huge gain in offroading capabilities below that until you start getting down to 10-12psi which you don't want/need to do. Just be sure you have a way to air back up before driving too far on highway.

Top Bottom