Gear change 2016

muddymike

Ok I read all the old posts on 513 gears and 37s. what about 6 speed manual with 488s should I get the 37s or stick with 35s? Seems to be a lot of back and fourth on the set up. I originally had 35s with the stock gears and it was a pig, I figured 488, but there is so much back and fourth it's making me rethink the situation. :icon_crazy: any help is appreciated :rock: 2014 jk unlimited rubicon BDS lift/warn bumpers/ Airaid Intake/ 34/11/20 toyo's.

Last edited:

Kalums

If you have a Rubicon than you should have 410s in it currently, so me personally, if I was ever planning on going to 37s ide get the 513s and not worry about it later, however ^^^^is correct you need to consider that your axles and drive line will also need upgrading if you do go to 37s....atleast that's my understanding.

thardy

Banned
If you have a Rubicon than you should have 410s in it currently, so me personally, if I was ever planning on going to 37s ide get the 513s and not worry about it later, however ^^^^is correct you need to consider that your axles and drive line will also need upgrading if you do go to 37s....atleast that's my understanding.

Not true. Rubicons are standard with 3.73 now. The 4.10 is an option.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Not true. Rubicons are standard with 3.73 now. The 4.10 is an option.

I've been playing around with the Jeep.com build and price function. I just looked and it shows the 4.10 as standard with the manual 6 speed transmission, while the 3.73 is an option. When you click on the option to have a 3.73, it automatically puts you in an automatic transmission, until you get further to pick some other options, where it lets you get the 4.10 as an option for the automatic. The automatic transmission also adds $1350 to the price.

Last edited:

Kalums

I thought 3.73s were 15 and up? Idk honestly, all he would need to do should be to check the tag on his axle tho....

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok I read all the old posts on 513 gears and 37s. what about 6 speed manual with 488s should I get the 37s or stick with 35s? Seems to be a lot of back and fourth on the set up. I originally had 35s with the rock gears and it was a pig, I figured 488, but there is so much back and fourth it's making me rethink the situation. :icon_crazy: any help is appreciated :rock: 2014 jk unlimited rubicon BDS lift

Since you have a stick 4.88's are what you will want with 37's.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I disagree with a lot of others have said. I have a 6 speed and 37's with 5.13's and I still wish I could have done 5.38's. 5.13's at a minimum.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On my 2012 with an automatic and 37s, I have run 5.13 and now 5.38. The extra power the 5.38 gives you on the trail is nice but I'm not too fond of how high an RPM it runs at 75+ MPH. With a manual, the RPM would be higher. Also, in a Dana 44, a 5.38 pinion is really small and for that alone, I personally would go with 5.13. 4.88 will get you back to stock performance but if you're gonna do this, I'd go for a bit more power. Just my opinion.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I have a 2013 manual and 37s and just upgraded to 4.88s from the 4.10s. I will say that the daily driving went back to normal (stock), nothing WOW About it but I don't have to down shift into 5th as much as I used to win the 4.10s. Only time now is when I'm going up a long hill. I can accelerate in 6th with the 4.88s unlike the 4.10s. As for rock crawling and being in 4lo, I think the gearing is perfect! I can't even stop the jeep with the brakes when I'm in 4lo idling.

muddymike

Back to the question

35s or 37s that is the question. Several people have told me the 4.88s with 37 as long as I don't thrash the rig on weekends.:grayno: I do respect all of the input just want to make an informed decision. maybe beef up the axles at a later date. The jeep came with dana 44 six speed 35/1250/20 and was gutless on inclines I switched to a toyo metric 34/11/20 and made a world of difference, thus the thinking 35s and 488s but like I said several people told me that 37s would be fine. Any more conversation would be great,..... always like the banter.:eek::usa:

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
On my 2012 with an automatic and 37s, I have run 5.13 and now 5.38. The extra power the 5.38 gives you on the trail is nice but I'm not too fond of how high an RPM it runs at 75+ MPH. With a manual, the RPM would be higher. Also, in a Dana 44, a 5.38 pinion is really small and for that alone, I personally would go with 5.13. 4.88 will get you back to stock performance but if you're gonna do this, I'd go for a bit more power. Just my opinion.

With a manual the rpm would be higher? Even though the manual has six speeds instead of 5?

Top Bottom