PDA

View Full Version : Tow rigs

Pages : [1] 2

TrainWreck618
06-24-2016, 07:18 PM
I'm curious what others are using to haul there jeeps around with. Im trying to make some decisions and can't decide, and could use some feedback from someone doing it regularly.

WJCO
06-24-2016, 07:22 PM
I'd recommend a trailer.

TrainWreck618
06-24-2016, 07:27 PM
I'd recommend a trailer.

Lol, thank you!

I guess I am being a bit vague. I am curious about what truck and trailer you are using? How about living quarters? Just curious what some of the guys on Wayalife are doing.

CarolinaJK
06-24-2016, 07:36 PM
I'd recommend a trailer.

Now this is funny [emoji23]

projectMMTB
06-24-2016, 07:40 PM
H&S motorsports tuned 6.7l Ford F250.
We tow our boat, camper, and my jeep with it and it does great. No, not at the same time obviously.
I have a buddy who tows his mud truck on 40s with a stock 2016 ram 2500 and it does great too.
Ours is a 4" lift on 37s

TrainWreck618
06-24-2016, 07:49 PM
H&S motorsports tuned 6.7l Ford F250.
We tow our boat, camper, and my jeep with it and it does great. No, not at the same time obviously.
I have a buddy who tows his mud truck on 40s with a stock 2016 ram 2500 and it does great too.
Ours is a 4" lift on 37s

Great looking truck. What type of trailer do you use?

I am looking at dodge 2500 diesel and a 20' gooseneck. I am kicking around the idea of a bumper pull so I could also haul a camper in the bed, but can't decide..

trailraider
06-24-2016, 07:55 PM
this was my set up. I have recently acquired a Rebel. (no pics yet)

projectMMTB
06-24-2016, 07:59 PM
Great looking truck. What type of trailer do you use?

I am looking at dodge 2500 diesel and a 20' gooseneck. I am kicking around the idea of a bumper pull so I could also haul a camper in the bed, but can't decide..

We tow everything bumper pull. Jeep trailer I believe is 18ft
Our camper is 36ft and we have no problems towing it either and outweighs my jeep by a lot. Invest in a good sway bar/stabilizer system for your camper if you get one and it keeps the trailer from wondering around.

TrainWreck618
06-24-2016, 08:01 PM
this was my set up. I have recently acquired a Rebel. (no pics yet)

How did that pull?

projectMMTB
06-24-2016, 08:03 PM
On a side note we towed the camper with a tuned 5.0 f150 before we traded it and got the new truck and it did DECENT. But not GREAT. Night and day between the f150 and f250.

TrainWreck618
06-24-2016, 08:06 PM
We tow everything bumper pull. Jeep trailer I believe is 18ft
Our camper is 36ft and we have no problems towing it either and outweighs my jeep by a lot. Invest in a good sway bar/stabilizer system for your camper if you get one and it keeps the trailer from wondering around.

thank you for the feedback. How much does your camper weigh?

Speeddmn
06-24-2016, 08:09 PM
A goodneck is and will always tow better better then any bumper pull. Get a big enough trailer to put a camper on the front and jeep on the back. Pretty common and will tow much better then one thinks

projectMMTB
06-24-2016, 08:11 PM
thank you for the feedback. How much does your camper weigh?

I think just under 10k... Like 9,600

trailraider
06-24-2016, 08:13 PM
How did that pull?

it pulls really nice. I haven't pulled with the Rebel yet, but I'm hoping the air ride will be nicer. the Kids kept complaining the rear was too small. so I got a crew cab now.

I also pull a 32' travel trailer at about 8500lbs loaded.

the truck was capable of just under 11,000.

projectMMTB
06-24-2016, 08:15 PM
I think just under 10k... Like 9,600

Sorry 8,600* loaded

TrainWreck618
06-24-2016, 08:36 PM
A goodneck is and will always tow better better then any bumper pull. Get a big enough trailer to put a camper on the front and jeep on the back. Pretty common and will tow much better then one thinks

That is what I would like to do, and would need a minimum of 26' deck to make it work. Im just arguing bumper pull because I could get into everything cheaper, but don't want to sacrifice safety since the load will be at or over 10,000 no matter which option. A guy told me one time that anything over 10,000 shouldn't be touched with your bumper. Never hauled that much, so no clue

Grubbicon
06-24-2016, 08:43 PM
I have a 2016 dodge 3500 and 20ft dual axle all steel trailer with hydraulic bed. Last time I ran it across a CAT scale with my JK on it it came out to 8600. Granted now after 1 ton swap im sure it will be more at least 9 range. I run 80 all day long pulling it and literally truck doesnt even know its back there. I ended up deleting and tuning the truck and I have to say one thing about before was that it DRANKKKK DEF it was pitiful. From Atlanta GA to Daytona FL and back it used a full tank. Coming from a 1996 dodge 3500 that was super annoying.

EDIT: I think its worth mentioning that I wouldnt consider a truck that is not 4wd. There is a few places we go wheeling that require 4wd to get to the parking lot because its a long steep gravel hill. Also times ground is wet enough have to use it.

TrainWreck618
06-24-2016, 09:48 PM
I have a 2016 dodge 3500 and 20ft dual axle all steel trailer with hydraulic bed. Last time I ran it across a CAT scale with my JK on it it came out to 8600. Granted now after 1 ton swap im sure it will be more at least 9 range. I run 80 all day long pulling it and literally truck doesnt even know its back there. I ended up deleting and tuning the truck and I have to say one thing about before was that it DRANKKKK DEF it was pitiful. From Atlanta GA to Daytona FL and back it used a full tank. Coming from a 1996 dodge 3500 that was super annoying

EDIT: I think its worth mentioning that I wouldnt consider a truck that is not 4wd. There is a few places we go wheeling that require 4wd to get to the parking lot because its a long steep gravel hill. Also times ground is wet enough have to use it.

I really like your truck, I wish I had a need for a dually. Thanks for sharing, and I totally agree with getting 4wd. There is a place I frequent that I'm not sure how you would leave if you had to pull out in 2wd..

2nd.gunman
06-24-2016, 09:59 PM
I have a 2016 dodge 3500 and 20ft dual axle all steel trailer with hydraulic bed. Last time I ran it across a CAT scale with my JK on it it came out to 8600. Granted now after 1 ton swap im sure it will be more at least 9 range. I run 80 all day long pulling it and literally truck doesnt even know its back there. I ended up deleting and tuning the truck and I have to say one thing about before was that it DRANKKKK DEF it was pitiful. From Atlanta GA to Daytona FL and back it used a full tank. Coming from a 1996 dodge 3500 that was super annoying.

Man that is a nice looking truck. Other than drinking DEF. what's your thoughts on it? They're pretty rare over here but I'm looking at one to tow the bigger boats at work.

mudmobeeler
06-24-2016, 10:01 PM
I would get a crew cab 4x4 diesel dually if possible. The dually will help with the weight and the swaying if you get into wind. The diesel will just help all around. They won't work as hard as a gas pulling the same load. They will also get better mpg. I would also get the 4x4 because I've seen too many 2wd diesels stuck on wet grass. They are just too heavy on the front end. I would get a 35 or 40 foot gooseneck trailer so I could A) put a camper on the front of it when needed to help keep the wife happy and B) haul two rigs at once if needed. Obviously pulling the camper off. A 40 footer is long and can be a pain but once you get use to it they aren't too bad.

All of that being said, I'm broke as shit so I just drive mine and hope it doesn't break and really haven't done anything or went anywhere it was worth hauling. If needed I can borrow my parents truck and trailer but want to get my own someday.

FastZach
06-24-2016, 10:10 PM
My dad tows his 42' fifth wheel which is north of 17k lb no problems with his 2015 F350 SRW completely stock. Bumper tow up 12k on it would be no problem. Up to Moab in the wind and bumpy roads it towed smooth and straight. I wouldn't go DRW if you are under 18k lb. I would recommend a gooseneck if you didn't want a camper in the bed just cause it pulls a little smoother.

Grubbicon
06-24-2016, 10:14 PM
I really like your truck, I wish I had a need for a dually. Thanks for sharing, and I totally agree with getting 4wd. There is a place I frequent that I'm not sure how you would leave if you had to pull out in 2wd..

Appreciate it and I never needed a dual at first when I had my old truck but I have to say once I had it I didnt want to go back.

Man that is a nice looking truck. Other than drinking DEF. what's your thoughts on it? They're pretty rare over here but I'm looking at one to tow the bigger boats at work.

Other then that Im really happy with it. I have almost 8500 miles on it now. I will say the mpg was pretty pitiful before it was deleted also. Its a bit better now but much more reasonable. I also opted for the 4.10 gears instead of the 3.73s so im sure there is part of the reason its not necessarily the greatest but with plans to be getting a 35-40ft gooseneck and looking a bit over 20k pounds figured it be nice to have.

2nd.gunman
06-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Other then that Im really happy with it. I have almost 8500 miles on it now. I will say the mpg was pretty pitiful before it was deleted also. Its a bit better now but much more reasonable. I also opted for the 4.10 gears instead of the 3.73s so im sure there is part of the reason its not necessarily the greatest but with plans to be getting a 35-40ft gooseneck and looking a bit over 20k pounds figured it be nice to have.

Good to hear.

bsimon187
06-24-2016, 11:25 PM
I use a 2015 RAM 2500 diesel with a hydraulic trailer. Can run 80 all day without knowing that Jeep is back there. With a lot of the newer trucks you can get rear coils vs leafs. That's what I did and it rides like a car. But I would def get 4wd like others have mentioned.

TrainWreck618
06-24-2016, 11:29 PM
My dad tows his 42' fifth wheel which is north of 17k lb no problems with his 2015 F350 SRW completely stock. Bumper tow up 12k on it would be no problem. Up to Moab in the wind and bumpy roads it towed smooth and straight. I wouldn't go DRW if you are under 18k lb. I would recommend a gooseneck if you didn't want a camper in the bed just cause it pulls a little smoother.

That's the big argument.. Do I want a camper or not?

I want one yes, but I have a lot of other things that need to happen before that. I think the best move is to pick up a 20-22' gooseneck and trade it in down the road when I'm ready to buy a camper. Trailers hold there value really well, so I shouldn't loose too much if I end up needing a larger trailer to accommodate a camper. I don't want to buy a bigger trailer than I need and never use it

FastZach
06-25-2016, 01:58 AM
That's the big argument.. Do I want a camper or not?

I want one yes, but I have a lot of other things that need to happen before that. I think the best move is to pick up a 20-22' gooseneck and trade it in down the road when I'm ready to buy a camper. Trailers hold there value really well, so I shouldn't loose too much if I end up needing a larger trailer to accommodate a camper. I don't want to buy a bigger trailer than I need and never use it

I would go that route too. It is amazing how much smoother a 5th wheel/gooseneck pulls than a bumper tow. You could always get longer goose down the road to put a camper on it.

holliewood61
06-25-2016, 03:20 AM
Half ton for life. I use a wore out 97 f-150 with 184k on the clock and a 18ft 3.5 ton big tex. I use weight distribution bars and keep the trailer brakes adjusted up. No problems tuggin it around the mountains of wv.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x345/holliewood61/20140525_113954.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/holliewood61/media/20140525_113954.jpg.html)

3/4 and one ton trucks are overkill anymore a new f-150 with the ecoboost 6 cyl can tow around 12k which is plenty to tote a jeep around. Doesn't need def, doesn't need fuel filters every other oil change, hell the oil change wont run you 100 bucks like a diesel. Gas is cheaper than diesel fuel, and a half ton is more comfortable to drive on a daily basis than a 3/4 or one ton.

Im not sayin to buy a janky ol half ton like i have, i run what i can afford. Im just saying dont overlook a half ton if youre in the market for a tow pig.

TrainWreck618
06-25-2016, 11:25 AM
Half ton for life. I use a wore out 97 f-150 with 184k on the clock and a 18ft 3.5 ton big tex. I use weight distribution bars and keep the trailer brakes adjusted up. No problems tuggin it around the mountains of wv.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x345/holliewood61/20140525_113954.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/holliewood61/media/20140525_113954.jpg.html)

3/4 and one ton trucks are overkill anymore a new f-150 with the ecoboost 6 cyl can tow around 12k which is plenty to tote a jeep around. Doesn't need def, doesn't need fuel filters every other oil change, hell the oil change wont run you 100 bucks like a diesel. Gas is cheaper than diesel fuel, and a half ton is more comfortable to drive on a daily basis than a 3/4 or one ton.

Im not sayin to buy a janky ol half ton like i have, i run what i can afford. Im just saying dont overlook a half ton if youre in the market for a tow pig.

I could definitely get a half ton setup a lot cheaper. It is something to consider, and the only reason I'm considering a diesel 3/4 is because the constant hauling I do and the 20,000+ miles a year I drive. Plus if I upgrade to a 30' gooseneck and camper I will have no issue pulling it. Decisions decision, thanks for your input

mudmobeeler
06-25-2016, 12:52 PM
I could definitely get a half ton setup a lot cheaper. It is something to consider, and the only reason I'm considering a diesel 3/4 is because the constant hauling I do and the 20,000+ miles a year I drive. Plus if I upgrade to a 30' gooseneck and camper I will have no issue pulling it. Decisions decision, thanks for your input

If your towing constantly, a half ton won't be cheaper. Depending on what your towing, you will beat that half ton up. You'll probably eat transmissions. You'll possibly have cooling issues, specially running the ac and pulling a load in the summer. You'll wear out suspension. Etc. A 3/4 or one ton will cost you more initially but will probably last longer hooked to a trailer all the time. Specially a diesel. The diesel will also cost you more initially, and to maintain, and to fix, but damn it's night and day difference with a trailer.

We had a 30 foot bumper pull camper a few years ago. When we got the camper we had a half ton Chevy 4x4 with the 6.2 in it. The truck pulled the camper fine as far as pulling power. But even pulling power you could tell it was back there. It also squatted the truck pretty good and even with the stabilizer hitch it liked to push the half ton around. I quickly sold it for a 3/4 ton dodge diesel 4x4 with the 6 speed standard. Holy hell, what a night and day difference. Now it's apples to oranges but the camper was practically not even there behind that truck. I could run 80 pulling that camper and get 20-22 miles to the gallon doing it. The best I got out of the gas was about 8 while pulling the camper.

If you ever get a diesel and for whatever reason get rid of it, it sucks. You will always want another.

jkbarnett
06-25-2016, 02:22 PM

I flat tow my jeep behind my 35' diesel pusher. I would like to trailer it but find it difficult to park a trailer and the jeep where I go some of the time.

JKbrick
06-25-2016, 04:16 PM

I just got a '16 2500 Ram with the Cummins also, coil springs in the rear, rides great. Mine came with 3:42 gears though, but it came with the factory gooseneck or fifth wheel bed mounting and wiring. I love it so far. Are you following your dash for oil changes? The manual says 15k between changes. What do you mean by deleted?

JKbrick
06-25-2016, 04:18 PM
Forgot the pic

Grubbicon
06-26-2016, 07:16 PM
I just got a '16 2500 Ram with the Cummins also, coil springs in the rear, rides great. Mine came with 3:42 gears though, but it came with the factory gooseneck or fifth wheel bed mounting and wiring. I love it so far. Are you following your dash for oil changes? The manual says 15k between changes. What do you mean by deleted?

I plan to change it soon since its the first change do it a little soon just for piece of mind. After that since they say 15k miles Ill probably just go with it. I have deleted (or no longer have) EGR valve, EGR cooler (worth noting I have Sinister Diesel EGR valve and cooler delete and according to them my truck is the first 2016 they knew of to use there delete at the time. They may gave changed it since but took some modify to make it work), DEF, and DPF. To do the deletes you have to use the Bully Dog unlock kit but then after that my truck has Kory Willis Tuned EFI Live. If you are deleting it has to be a "race tuner" since deletes are considered illegal but places where there is no diesel emissions it doesnt matter. With that my truck also has a 5" straight pipe from the turbo back. Bigger the exhaust help keep the EGTs down but obviously if its stock or close to it EGT isnt really a concern. After all that I have i should have gained 130-150hp not that it really needed it. Just worth noting if you do delete your truck it will then smoke wont be "clean" burning so tree huggers will hate you lol.

Ive never rode in the new 2500s with the coil in the rear im sure it rides amazing. My truck also has the 5th wheel placement and wiring in the bed from factory. The 3500 are still leaf in the rear and mine also has factory airbags in the back.

Here is a shot of the exhaust that looks like to a rocket scientist to design

EGR valve block off plate (driver side of the motor)

Here is where the EGR cooler was (passenger side of the motor)

TrainWreck618
06-26-2016, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=Grubbicon;727307]I plan to change it soon since its the first change do it a little soon just for piece of mind. After that since they say 15k miles Ill probably just go with it. I have deleted (or no longer have) EGR valve, EGR cooler (worth noting I have Sinister Diesel EGR valve and cooler delete and according to them my truck is the first 2016 they knew of to use there delete at the time. They may gave changed it since but took some modify to make it work), DEF, and DPF. To do the deletes you have to use the Bully Dog unlock kit but then after that my truck has Kory Willis Tuned EFI Live. If you are deleting it has to be a "race tuner" since deletes are considered illegal but places where there is no diesel emissions it doesnt matter. With that my truck also has a 5" straight pipe from the turbo back. Bigger the exhaust help keep the EGTs down but obviously if its stock or close to it EGT isnt really a concern. After all that I have i should have gained 130-150hp not that it really needed it. Just worth noting if you do delete your truck it will then smoke wont be "clean" burning so tree huggers will hate you lol.

Ive never rode in the new 2500s with the coil in the rear im sure it rides amazing. My truck also has the 5th wheel placement and wiring in the bed from factory. The 3500 are still leaf in the rear and mine also has factory airbags in the back.

Here is a shot of the exhaust that looks like to a rocket scientist to design

EGR valve block off plate (driver side of the motor)

Here is where the EGR cooler was (passenger side of the motor)

Goodness thats a bunch more power, your torque must be well over 1000 I'm sure. Definitely should pull your jeep with ease.

Grubbicon
06-26-2016, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=Grubbicon;727307]Goodness thats a bunch more power, your torque must be well over 1000 I'm sure. Definitely should pull your jeep with ease.

I would say it is but I have nothing to back it up. My guess is around 500hp and 1000ftlbs. Maybe one day Ill stick it on a dyno for shits and giggles. I believe stock is supposed to be like 365hp and 900ftlbs.

JKbrick
06-26-2016, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=TrainWreck618;727342]

I would say it is but I have nothing to back it up. My guess is around 500hp and 1000ftlbs. Maybe one day Ill stick it on a dyno for shits and giggles. I believe stock is supposed to be like 365hp and 900ftlbs.

I think the cab and chassis have a different transmission and a lot more hp and torque from the factory, it looked like there are 3 motors to choose from. I'm not sure which one your dually would be. Thank you for the info and pics

Grubbicon
06-26-2016, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=Grubbicon;727344]

I think the cab and chassis have a different transmission and a lot more hp and torque from the factory, it looked like there are 3 motors to choose from. I'm not sure which one your dually would be. Thank you for the info and pics

Mine is the 6.7 cummins and the Aisin transmission. Mine the standard pickup not the cab and chassis. Im sure its the same motor and trans as yours but could be wrong.

Goldeneagle1LC
06-26-2016, 10:28 PM
I had an 07.5 with the 6.7 and withe the deletes it was supposed to be 600bhp and 1200+ ft lbs. I never put it on a dyno either so I don't know for sure but it's at least an idea of where you might be.

OP get a goose neck and a diesel and never look back. During hay season we have grossed 60-70k on non duallies. They knew they were loaded down but they moved it no problem. If I was going to tow my jeep it's the only way I would do it.

bsimon187
06-26-2016, 11:07 PM
When I was looking I was going to get the 6.4 hemi 2500. Drove the hemi and then the 6.7 Cummings back to back. The diesel was so much stronger than the gas. I have the gooseneck set up with wiring as well, but got a great deal on a custom hydraulic trailer.

Grubbicon-the rear coils are amazing. Makes it drive more like a car vs a big truck.

FastZach
06-26-2016, 11:23 PM
When I was looking I was going to get the 6.4 hemi 2500. Drove the hemi and then the 6.7 Cummings back to back. The diesel was so much stronger than the gas. I have the gooseneck set up with wiring as well, but got a great deal on a custom hydraulic trailer.

Grubbicon-the rear coils are amazing. Makes it drive more like a car vs a big truck.

How is the sag under load with the coils?

bsimon187
06-26-2016, 11:26 PM
How is the sag under load with the coils?

Not much if any. If you look at the pic I posted the truck is sitting pretty level still. Hey are designed for the weight, but I guess over time they will sit a bit lower. Only have 15k on the truck.

FastZach
06-27-2016, 01:53 AM
Not much if any. If you look at the pic I posted the truck is sitting pretty level still. Hey are designed for the weight, but I guess over time they will sit a bit lower. Only have 15k on the truck.

How about when you're towing or have something heavy in the back, more sag than a truck with leafs? I think the coils are a great idea

bsimon187
06-27-2016, 12:27 PM
How about when you're towing or have something heavy in the back, more sag than a truck with leafs? I think the coils are a great idea

I don't think there is more sag, it may even be less sag. I have had the back pretty loaded with no sagging at all. While towing or just driving with nothing in the back, you can't tell a difference. A lot of my friends drive 2500 or 3500's with the leafs and love the way my truck tows vs. theirs because of the coils.

metalic
03-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Getting ready to head out for the weekend and figured it would be a good time to pose the rig so I can contribute.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

TrainWreck618
03-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Getting ready to head out for the weekend and figured it would be a good time to pose the rig so I can contribute.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

Looks good, where you heading?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

metalic
03-10-2017, 10:39 PM
Looks good, where you heading?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)
Turkey Bay in Kentucky

TrainWreck618
03-10-2017, 11:02 PM
Turkey Bay in Kentucky

Nice, haven't been down there in a while. Have fun

trailraider
03-10-2017, 11:44 PM
saw this one day. gave me a chuckle

JKbrick
03-11-2017, 12:12 AM
saw this one day. gave me a chuckle

Wow! With as rusty as tj frames get around here that would just break off right in front of the rear lower control arms

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

bekel
03-19-2017, 04:36 AM
this is the set up I use might be alittle overloaded in this pic but still made it the 200+ miles to job site248790

3TV
03-25-2017, 10:31 AM
I use an enclosed trailer for towing mine, when it isn't towing other toys.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j175/ps3tv/Truck/Prospector%20September%205%202016_zpswtuzbziq.jpg

Better picture of trailer.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2900/33671947635_87dbab7c10_b.jpg

Tumbleweed
03-25-2017, 04:29 PM
Here's mine. I have had 2 ATVs plus my 2 door JK in it. Not fun trying to cram them all in. I bought a deckover flatbed for the next time!
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Jaxom44/Dually%20amp%20Camper.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Jaxom44/RRB%20w%20Windrock%204-15/IMG_3542.jpg
Loaded with Jeep in the front or the back, didn't make much difference to the tongue weight.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Jaxom44/RRB%20w%20Windrock%204-15/IMG_3486.jpg

AllAmericanInfidel
03-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Here's mine. I have had 2 ATVs plus my 2 door JK in it. Not fun trying to cram them all in. I bought a deckover flatbed for the next time!
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Jaxom44/Dually%20amp%20Camper.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Jaxom44/RRB%20w%20Windrock%204-15/IMG_3542.jpg
Loaded with Jeep in the front or the back, didn't make much difference to the tongue weight.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Jaxom44/RRB%20w%20Windrock%204-15/IMG_3486.jpg

Good lord, that's a badass setup!

Tumbleweed
03-29-2017, 01:11 AM
Thanks.
I only wish that the enclosed trailer was another foot taller. It seems like trailers are just never big enough. Although I did just trade in a 40' 5th wheel race trailer! But I couldn't use it w/ my camper.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Jaxom44/CAT%20Scale%207-2-06/IMG_0465.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Jaxom44/media/CAT%20Scale%207-2-06/IMG_0465.jpg.html)

SHHHWAY
04-03-2017, 04:02 AM
[emoji109] Cummins Diesel,,, now I just need one for the JK!251503

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

metalic
04-07-2017, 01:52 AM
Mounted up a new set of wheels and tires on the tow rig this evening

T_rav
04-10-2017, 05:05 AM

Sounds like a good way to get a ticket for being over grossed. If you're hauling frequently better get a truck that's legal for the load you're towing and also a hitch to match.

holliewood61
04-11-2017, 07:03 AM
Yeah, we dont worry about tickets. My truck is rated at 7500 lbs, and i use a weight distributing hitch so there isnt really anything unsafe about it. The trailer has brakes and i have a brake controller in the truck. My point was that newer half tons are cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, more comfortable, and are plenty capable of towing a jeep to the trails. If one was looking to tow every day a 3/4 or one ton diesel would be the way to go, but for occasional towing a 1/2 ton is easier to live with on a daily basis.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

p38
04-19-2017, 08:20 AM
I just did the EJS at Moab, towed my 53 M38A1 on an 18' Featherlite open flatbed with my 2016 F250 6.7. Stock tune, only mod is a 50 gal fuel tank. That sure makes a difference - not having to stop for fuel so often. I replaced the stock trailer tires with a size bigger, once we hit NV I ran 70-80 mph with no problems. Stayed in a hotel, but having gear/spares/supplies/etc stored loose in the bed or shuffling in and out of the back seat was a pain. I'm looking at towing with a toy box/toy hauler to have a more organized staging area as well as a spot to get out of the wind/cold for cocktails and cigars. Anyone have any experience with that kind of a setup?

Bootlover101
04-22-2017, 03:56 PM
I just did the EJS at Moab, towed my 53 M38A1 on an 18' Featherlite open flatbed with my 2016 F250 6.7. Stock tune, only mod is a 50 gal fuel tank. That sure makes a difference - not having to stop for fuel so often. I replaced the stock trailer tires with a size bigger, once we hit NV I ran 70-80 mph with no problems. Stayed in a hotel, but having gear/spares/supplies/etc stored loose in the bed or shuffling in and out of the back seat was a pain. I'm looking at towing with a toy box/toy hauler to have a more organized staging area as well as a spot to get out of the wind/cold for cocktails and cigars. Anyone have any experience with that kind of a setup?

Here's my tow rig

TrainWreck618
04-22-2017, 04:35 PM

Here's my tow rig

Sweet setup[emoji106]

jeffj
04-22-2017, 05:57 PM

I can understand with the price of diesels and the price to run them, but if your going to pull a semi-heavy load safely you need the correct equipment. I also live in the hills of WV and I've lived on a 10% grade 5 mile mountain all my life. I have seen many people lose their life's on that mountain trying to trust your brakes. Safety is not about if the motor can pull it it's about the motor holding you back so you don't have trust your brakes. Most half ton trucks will just run on when you gear them down. I understand if you have a short way to go and just limp along, but if you going to do any substantial distance or load you really need to do it right.

p38
04-22-2017, 07:29 PM

Here's my tow rig

I like it - that's what I'm talking about. Could you provide some specs on the tow vehicle? Thanks

JKbrick
04-25-2017, 12:04 AM
Got him detailed for his first birthday

Mizippi
04-27-2017, 02:33 PM
Here's mine:

JKbrick
05-02-2017, 01:44 AM
Here's mine:

Do you drive over your trailer fenders?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

tippedover
05-30-2017, 02:20 AM
Don't know a lot about trucks but looking at getting my first truck in the next few months looking at ram 2500s or chevy. The main question I have is on trailers, will go double axel (think..) but any thing worth staying away from wood planks on them etc... seems like there are a few ways to skin the cat on trailers. Any help would be great

Mizippi
05-30-2017, 02:54 AM
[QUOTE=JKbrick;889808]Do you drive over your trailer fenders?

I got drive over fenders because I am running tons and I am too wide to run between the wheel wells

Mizippi
05-30-2017, 04:05 AM
[QUOTE=tippedover;903439]Don't know a lot about trucks but looking at getting my first truck in the next few months looking at ram 2500s or chevy. The main question I have is on trailers, will go double axel (think..) but any thing worth staying away from wood planks on them etc... seems like there are a few ways to skin the cat on trailers. Any help would be great

A couple of things come to mind:

- trailer brakes are great...more the better
- wood floors are fine...and light
- you will haul more than you think...go big as you can
- I got a 20' trailer, but that long is not required
- I have pulled with 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons...again go as big as you can (my cummins laughs at the 11k lbs, but it is a beast to drive around town)

None of this is science, but I hope it helps.

tippedover
05-30-2017, 01:11 PM
A couple of things come to mind:

- trailer brakes are great...more the better
- wood floors are fine...and light
- you will haul more than you think...go big as you can
- I got a 20' trailer, but that long is not required
- I have pulled with 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons...again go as big as you can (my cummins laughs at the 11k lbs, but it is a beast to drive around town)

None of this is science, but I hope it helps.

Do you have a 2500 or 3500? Is it worse than driving a big jeep around town?
How wide is your trailer 6.4? Was looking online at 20 footers think that is a good way to go

Mizippi
05-31-2017, 01:32 AM
Do you have a 2500 or 3500? Is it worse than driving a big jeep around town?
How wide is your trailer 6.4? Was looking online at 20 footers think that is a good way to go

I have a 2500, and it tows the ~11k lbs like a champ.

My trailer has drive over fenders and is 102" wide. Basically wide enough for a SxS (or golf cart) to sit perpendicular to the jeep on the trailer.

mlbeedle0880
06-29-2017, 03:14 AM

Mr Beedle

RUBEERCON
06-29-2017, 03:31 AM
Will my new GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 with 6.2 pull my JKU very well ? I think the engine is 420hp/460 tq and runs 8 spd auto with a high 323 gear. It's rated at 9100lbs. I would rather use a trailer on 3 plus hour trips now that I have 488s in jeep. I would pull it once or twice a year around 300 miles one way. Have considered tow hitch but a lighter weight trailer would be best.
I have a semi and and a 4x diesel excursion that will obviously do the job, just curious about my GMC.

holliewood61
06-29-2017, 03:56 AM
Will my new GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 with 6.2 pull my JKU very well ? I think the engine is 420hp/460 tq and runs 8 spd auto with a high 323 gear. It's rated at 9100lbs. I would rather use a trailer on 3 plus hour trips now that I have 488s in jeep. I would pull it once or twice a year around 300 miles one way. Have considered tow hitch but a lighter weight trailer would be best.
I have a semi and and a 4x diesel excursion that will obviously do the job, just curious about my GMC.

The only problem, or should I say inconvenience i could see would be the 8 speed. I feel like it would be constantly shifting and searching for a gear pulling a trailer.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

FallonJeeper
06-29-2017, 06:57 AM
Here's my contribution.
2011 F350 Super Duty Lariat

6.7 Scorpion Engine, Flashpaq tuned.

This shot is my setup for King of the Hammers trip 2017.

I haul everything from my J10, wife's '76 F250 mud truck to my 31' ball hitch travel trailer.

MR.Ty
06-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Here's my contribution.
2011 F350 Super Duty Lariat

6.7 Scorpion Engine, Flashpaq tuned.

This shot is my setup for King of the Hammers trip 2017.

I haul everything from my J10, wife's '76 F250 mud truck to my 31' ball hitch travel trailer.

That looks like a fantastic setup! :thumb:

piginajeep
07-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Heading down to Long Beach for Jeep bash

JeepFan
07-08-2017, 01:58 PM

Nice! Can you pick me on your way? [emoji6]

piginajeep
07-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Nice! Can you pick me on your way? [emoji6]

No, but tell Tina to be ready [emoji6]

JeepFan
07-08-2017, 02:04 PM
No, but tell Tina to be ready [emoji6]

Lol! Ill see you down there... unless you get lost on the way...

wayoflife
07-08-2017, 02:05 PM

I was wondering if you were gonna go. Mel had been asking us to come and Jim had asked if he could use Rubicat in his display but I couldn't get myself to drive all the way down to Long Beach just to sit around and do nothing for a day. Had I known you were going for sure, I may have considered it more as at least then I would have someone to drink with.

JeepFan
07-08-2017, 02:07 PM
I was wondering if you were gonna go. Mel had been asking us to come and Jim had asked if he could use Rubicat in his display but I couldn't get myself to drive all the way down to Long Beach just to sit around and do nothing for a day. Had I known you were going for sure, I may have considered it more as at least then I would have someone to drink with.
WTF! [emoji6]

piginajeep
07-08-2017, 02:10 PM

Haha! The old girl doesn't get out much and no one gets to see her. So it's a good time. Wonder why Jim didn't ask for this to be shown off? Does he know the Dana 53 is the next upgrade everyone wants ?

wayoflife
07-08-2017, 03:19 PM
WTF! [emoji6]

LOL!! Funny, nobody said anything about going to this thing. I may have made more effort had I known but then, maybe that's why nobody said anything :thinking:

Haha! The old girl doesn't get out much and no one gets to see her. So it's a good time. Wonder why Jim didn't ask for this to be shown off? Does he know the Dana 53 is the next upgrade everyone wants ?

You should talk to him about that, if he has the room, you never know.

10abadilla/jk
07-08-2017, 03:46 PM
I myself do not have a separate "tow rig" but I do use my jeep for towing on the regular. Does great with the 4.88s267151

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

ThatChemicalGuy
07-09-2017, 06:00 AM

Well damn, if I had known about this I wouldn't have left LA yesterday and stayed an extra day to look at some Jeeps lol. Long Beach isn't too far of a drive

tucked
07-18-2017, 05:15 PM
1996 Ford F-350 with 7.3L Turbo Diesel
32' Triple Axle Gooseneck

tucked
08-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Loaded for most recent trip to Colorado & Utah...

jeffj
08-17-2017, 08:19 PM
Loaded for most recent trip to Colorado & Utah...

That 7.3 is a great motor.

ADA OZ
08-18-2017, 07:03 PM

This doesn't happen very often but when it does...2006 Silverado 2500 Duramax with Allison tranny. Does just fine even though the weight is a little more than she's rated for with two.

JKbrick
01-10-2018, 12:37 AM
Looks like I can adjust the tpms finally so the rear tires donít have to be at 80 when not towing or hauling

RedSyndrome
01-18-2018, 05:52 PM
It took me a while to find a toy hauler rated for a Jeep. I have a 40+ft trailer pulled by my F350 Duallie.
It is a Forest River Work and Play. Rated for 9300# cargo. 23 ft garage, 19ft front living quarters.
I have a '13 JKU Rubicon with 3.5" lift and 37 inch tires. It just fits under the bunk beds.

Melosh (tennis pro)
01-19-2018, 08:58 PM
It took me a while to find a toy hauler rated for a Jeep. I have a 40+ft trailer pulled by my F350 Duallie.
It is a Forest River Work and Play. Rated for 9300# cargo. 23 ft garage, 19ft front living quarters.
I have a '13 JKU Rubicon with 3.5" lift and 37 inch tires. It just fits under the bunk beds.

this is an awesome set up man!!!

TrainWreck618
01-19-2018, 09:55 PM

A toy hauler would be sick! Great setup[emoji106]

JKbrick
04-14-2018, 02:24 AM
Iím a little disappointed with the Ram build and price options. My son wants to buy my Ram so I was pricing a new one to order. For some dumb reason you canít get the Aisin transmission in a 2500, but the 3500 has leaf springs in the rear and I canít believe it would ride even close to the coils in the 2500. Is there a way anyone knows to get a 2500 with the Aisin trans?

OverlanderJK
04-14-2018, 02:25 AM
Iím a little disappointed with the Ram build and price options. My son wants to buy my Ram so I was pricing a new one to order. For some dumb reason you canít get the Aisin transmission in a 2500, but the 3500 has leaf springs in the rear and I canít believe it would ride even close to the coils in the 2500. Is there a way anyone knows to get a 2500 with the Aisin trans?

Nope. Only in 2500. I believe you just DD yours right? I would just get the 2500.

JKbrick
04-14-2018, 02:28 AM
Nope. Only in 2500. I believe you just DD yours right? I would just get the 2500.

Yes I work out of it but donít tow with it. I am considering a gooseneck so I could haul my Jeep on trips was the biggest reason. Can you beef up the trans in a 2500?

OverlanderJK
04-14-2018, 02:35 AM
Yes I work out of it but donít tow with it. I am considering a gooseneck so I could haul my Jeep on trips was the biggest reason. Can you beef up the trans in a 2500?

Whatís wrong with the 2500 trans? Your jeep would be nothing for the truck to tow. Gooseneck would be super overkill for it too (I would prefer to tow with a gooseneck though like you)

JKbrick
04-14-2018, 02:42 AM
Whatís wrong with the 2500 trans? Your jeep would be nothing for the truck to tow. Gooseneck would be super overkill for it too (I would prefer to tow with a gooseneck though like you)

Probably nothing wrong with it, I just thought if the other one was better I would get it! I loved how the Allison I had had a spin on filter and operated but gm has such a retarded def tank location and fill location I wonít buy one. The whole gooseneck thing is once again if it pulls better Iíd rather have it even if it is overkill. Iím just weird

OverlanderJK
04-14-2018, 02:45 AM
Probably nothing wrong with it, I just thought if the other one was better I would get it! I loved how the Allison I had had a spin on filter and operated but gm has such a retarded def tank location and fill location I wonít buy one. The whole gooseneck thing is once again if it pulls better Iíd rather have it even if it is overkill. Iím just weird

Oh I get the gooseneck. Iím all for them. And agree on the def tank. I just think the extra money for the better trans is overkill unless you tow a lot.

JKbrick
04-14-2018, 03:31 AM
Oh I get the gooseneck. Iím all for them. And agree on the def tank. I just think the extra money for the better trans is overkill unless you tow a lot.

I guess itís not like the normal one doesnít have a 100,000 mile warranty

piginajeep
04-14-2018, 04:38 AM
I just bought the 3500 with Asini, it rides decent. Itís a little bouncy, but nicer than my JK.

JKbrick
04-14-2018, 10:43 AM
I just bought the 3500 with Asini, it rides decent. Itís a little bouncy, but nicer than my JK.

Maybe Iíll test drive one, thatís interesting because Iíd say mine now rides just as nice as my Jeep, but way nicer than any ďhdĒ truck Iíve had before

tippedover
04-14-2018, 04:56 PM

The def tank is in a stupid location thatís for sure but you will never hit it or anything if thatís the worry, the fill location is also stupid cause if u mess up u get deff on the engine lol. But that said like a lot of the chevy features better than ram. The seats in ram and the way it rides was a killer for me just my 2 cents

Dale72
04-14-2018, 07:36 PM
Maybe Iíll test drive one, thatís interesting because Iíd say mine now rides just as nice as my Jeep, but way nicer than any ďhdĒ truck Iíve had before

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)You can get a ram 3500 with airbags along with the leaf springs

Dale72
04-14-2018, 08:19 PM

290122What is the model # on the trl

Blackjk58
04-29-2018, 03:44 PM
I was wondering if one of you have ever try to tow your jk 4 doors with a Grand Cherokee srt ?

Strodinator
04-29-2018, 05:22 PM
I was wondering if one of you have ever try to tow your jk 4 doors with a Grand Cherokee srt ?

Just based on towing capacity I'd say it's feasible. 7200 cap for the grand and the 4 doors stock weigh around 4400. A trailer light enough could do it I'd say. It would be a hell of a tow on the grand but I'd say go for it

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

Jkzinger
04-29-2018, 05:26 PM
Just based on towing capacity I'd say it's feasible. 7200 cap for the grand and the 4 doors stock weigh around 4400. A trailer light enough could do it I'd say. It would be a hell of a tow on the grand but I'd say go for it

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

I think the SRT has a lower tow capacity unless it is a the latest model.

OverlanderJK
04-29-2018, 06:38 PM

No way itíll work. A light trailer is 2k.

Blackjk58
04-29-2018, 08:07 PM
So you think i would have no problem using a grand cherokee as a tow rig even with the wheel base that the grand and the trailer would have ?

Rst8rox
04-29-2018, 08:12 PM
Hereís Olť trusty!! 2001 GMC 2500 runs strong for an old girl.

97TJ
06-15-2018, 01:39 AM

I may have agreed with your 1/2 ton sentiments until recently. Then my axle housing broke in half last week. I've pulled five heavy loads and deal with washboard roads around here. Swapping out truck axles is a definite chore, even on a 1/2 ton truck.

Heavy duty trucks have heavy duty suspensions, drivetrains, and upgraded braking capabilities. Which we may not need until we need it.

Having said all that, some 1/2 ton trucks come with a trailer package that can boost their trailer rating to 12,000 pounds. Mine did but that didn't help the axle. Perhaps the previous owner was hard on it.

Jeeps run about 5000 pounds with upgrades, a trailer can be over 1500 pounds. The load is significant. Especially when one is doing "safari type" jeeping.

If I planned on regularly hauling a trailer queen Jeep around, I'd take a close look at heavy duty trucks. Especially when considering that the rig may get towed over mountain passes. These passes kill a lot of engines and transmissions that were not equipped for such employment.

jdofmemi
06-15-2018, 03:38 AM
Well spoken☝️☝️

The half ton may do it, but it takes a lot out of it, and there is little to no reserve capacity for when a problem arises.

97TJ
06-15-2018, 02:09 PM
Towing tends to bring up the subject of safety. Looking at driving statistics, it is quite clear that the driver is far more important than the rig.

Expensive sports cars have the best handling and brakes yet are considered a poor risk by the insurance industry. 18 wheelers pulling two containers and those hauling flammable fuels hardly ever get in substantive accidents.

One can do many things to increase towing safety. Driving in the right lane at a reduced speed with no alcohol in the system. Always use safety chains. Allowing for sufficient stopping distance may trump everything.

State of California requires that trailers use the right lane and have a 55mph speed limit for them. I find that overkill but it does reduce the odds of a trailer load becoming disastrous.

Now back to four wheeling. What is more important, the driver or the rig? I watch a lot of four wheeling videos on youtube. Perhaps I am biased but this is what I see. Experienced drivers with older rigs pick "better lines" and use better technique than the less experienced with the $50,000 suspension and drivetrain. Then again, some intentionally choose the harder line for the challenge and excitement. What is more exciting than rolling over?

notnalc68
06-15-2018, 03:00 PM
The funny thing is, the tow ratings have increased on half ton pickups. Some of them have 9,000 to 11,000 pound trailering capacity. My Dadís 2003 Chevy 2500 with a 6.0L, is only rated for 8,600. Go figure. Iíd still buy the 2500 over the 1500, if I were going to trailer much. Even an old one, like his. I can tell you, that 6.0 will move a lot of weight.

97TJ
06-15-2018, 05:06 PM
The funny thing is, the tow ratings have increased on half ton pickups. Some of them have 9,000 to 11,000 pound trailering capacity. My Dadís 2003 Chevy 2500 with a 6.0L, is only rated for 8,600. Go figure. Iíd still buy the 2500 over the 1500, if I were going to trailer much. Even an old one, like his. I can tell you, that 6.0 will move a lot of weight.

Was looking this morning and finding that Ford gets credit for 1/2 ton tow ratings up to ~12,000. The rest hover around ~10,000-11,500. How do these ratings get tested? By Ford? By Dodge? Seems challenging to standardize and objectify.

I'd feel more comfortable pulling a trailer queen with a 1/2 ton than some of these trains I see on the road. Like a pick-up pulling a three axle trailer pulling a Jeep. A good driver can make it safe enough but is driving that really a vacation?

Should off-road Jeepers be closet Safety Sams? I mean, driving on the shelf roads of #8 rated trails is pretty far removed from safe and logical. Guess I'd have to say that we do need to exercise prudent precautionary measures when other drivers are involved.

JKbrick
06-15-2018, 06:15 PM

And suck tons of fuel doing it

notnalc68
06-15-2018, 06:20 PM
And suck tons of fuel doing it

Oh, for towing a lot, go diesel, but you can pick up a reliable 2500 with a 6.0 for cheap. If you donít tow for a living you can buy a lot of gas, with what youíd save on the vehicle.

JKbrick
06-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Oh, for towing a lot, go diesel, but you can pick up a reliable 2500 with a 6.0 for cheap. If you donít tow for a living you can buy a lot of gas, with what youíd save on the vehicle.

I think they would be a lot nicer if they offered 373 gears or something with them, the only option for gas with the heavy duty GM truck is a 6 L with 411 gears

notnalc68
06-15-2018, 06:58 PM
I think they would be a lot nicer if they offered 373 gears or something with them, the only option for gas with the heavy duty GM truck is a 6 L with 411 gears

Damn. I think Dadís old one has 3.73, but itís 15 years old.

BananaJeep
07-18-2018, 05:35 PM
I use a 2013 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L iForce V8 to tow my Jeep. Love it!

Towing the TJ

And towing the CJ

jackjr
07-21-2018, 06:55 AM

My son in-law towed my CJ5 on a Uhaul trailer from Nevada to Glendale, AZ. behind my 05 Ram 1500 without a problem. He would be one to complain if there had been a problem. It has the 5.7 Hemi and a standard automatic with around 58,000 on the clock so it is not worn out by any means. I have moved a lot of things on a Uhaul trailer in town and I don't think I would care to haul my CJ as often as I plan very far with this setup. Most of our trips will be a little more local with just a simple bumper tow. That is how I always did it with my 68 CJ behind my Ford Ranchero and I towed it all over the state.
jackjr

Rst8rox
07-22-2018, 12:38 AM
Here my new Rig 2009 Chevy 2500hd Itís been my Dads since New.......That is till now!!!306463

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)312723

JKbrick
07-22-2018, 12:48 AM
Here my new Rig 2009 Chevy 2500hd Itís been my Dads since New.......That is till now!!!306463

Looks really clean [emoji106]

wjtstudios
07-22-2018, 12:57 AM

Nice! That will make getting to Drummond easy!

Rst8rox
07-22-2018, 01:35 PM
Thanks! Itís not to bad there are a few spots with some surface rust starting. It is getting fixed up before snow flys. It makes driving with a loaded trailer like sitting on a [emoji934] lol

I-Eat-Mud
08-06-2018, 12:55 AM
Just picked up a new to me Ď15 f250 king ranch. 6.7 powerstroke really a big fan of this engine so far. 307573

Dale72
08-15-2018, 12:09 AM
308349308351Not my trucks but but towing the Jeep

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

98XJ06LJ
08-17-2018, 01:56 AM
Drove up to pick up the new boat. Can't say enough good things about my truck. I am so glad I traded the 15' in on the 17'. Huge difference in power. 15,000 lbs total with boat and trailer and I set the cruise at 75 mph, getting 12 mpg and not a hiccup. I love the new GMC. Great trucks!! Can't wait to get the boat home and get offshore!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

wjtstudios
08-17-2018, 02:00 AM
Drove up to pick up the new boat. Can't say enough good things about my truck. I am so glad I traded the 15' in on the 17'. Huge difference in power. 15,000 lbs total with boat and trailer and I set the cruise at 75 mph, getting 12 mpg and not a hiccup. I love the new GMC. Great trucks!! Can't wait to get the boat home and get offshore!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

Thatís an awesome set up there! Congrats!

JKbrick
08-17-2018, 02:36 AM

Wow thatís a heck of a boat! I have a 2019 white GMC crew cab short bed on order, being built the week of the 27th, getting tired of waiting been ordered since the first of June

98XJ06LJ
08-17-2018, 03:49 AM
Thatís an awesome set up there! Congrats!

Thank you! Busted my ass for all this crap! 🤣😂 Now just have to find time to use it!

98XJ06LJ
08-17-2018, 03:53 AM
Wow thatís a heck of a boat! I have a 2019 white GMC crew cab short bed on order, being built the week of the 27th, getting tired of waiting been ordered since the first of June

Thank you! It will be worth the wait. Not sure if you have owned one prior but the new ones are incredible trucks. All around a great truck. Quite on the highway, plenty of power, every media option you could want including Wi-Fi. Be sure to post up yours when it comes in!

JKbrick
08-17-2018, 12:57 PM
Thank you! It will be worth the wait. Not sure if you have owned one prior but the new ones are incredible trucks. All around a great truck. Quite on the highway, plenty of power, every media option you could want including Wi-Fi. Be sure to post up yours when it comes in!

Sure will, my last duramax was an lbz 07 classic (old body style) then I just had a Cummins I sold my son (iketj03) so we would both have tow rigs

JKbrick
09-15-2018, 12:53 AM
It got dropped at the dealer last weekend and I picked it up tonight
It had a couple options on it I didnít order so they didnít charge me for them! Score

19YJ94
09-15-2018, 01:15 AM
It had a couple options on it I didnít order so they didnít charge me for them! Score

Nice truck, hmmm what trail can we test it on?

JKbrick
09-15-2018, 01:47 AM
Nice truck, hmmm what trail can we test it on?

How about a nice paved one?

TrainWreck618
09-15-2018, 01:56 AM

Great looking truck

OverlanderJK
09-15-2018, 01:59 AM

Didnít you just get a Dodge last year?

JKbrick
09-15-2018, 07:24 PM
Didnít you just get a Dodge last year?

2 years 5 months ago, my son wanted it for a tow rig so I sold it to him and ordered this one. Took from May til last weekend to come in

jesse3638
09-16-2018, 06:00 PM
It got dropped at the dealer last weekend and I picked it up tonight. It had a couple options on it I didnít order so they didnít charge me for them! Score

Looks good. We just placed an order for a Chevy 2500 Diesel at work. It'll probably be here in a couple weeks and I can't wait to check it out. We do use our trucks off road (rough dirt roads) and I'm curious how it compares to our Ford F-250 and Ram 2500.

JKbrick
09-16-2018, 07:32 PM
Looks good. We just placed an order for a Chevy 2500 Diesel at work. It'll probably be here in a couple weeks and I can't wait to check it out. We do use our trucks off road (rough dirt roads) and I'm curious how it compares to our Ford F-250 and Ram 2500.

Thank you, havenít had a Ford since 99 but the Ram I just sold rode very nice and had not 1 rattle or anything wrong after 55k miles. This one has like 80 miles on it so I canít compare them yet very honestly

Arrcherr
09-16-2018, 07:44 PM

Beautiful truck, congrats!!!

JKbrick
09-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Great looking truck

Beautiful truck, congrats!!!

Thanks guys

98XJ06LJ
09-16-2018, 08:05 PM

Glad to see it finally arrived! Congratulations!
Great looking truck, you're going to love it.

JKbrick
09-16-2018, 10:46 PM
Glad to see it finally arrived! Congratulations!
Great looking truck, you're going to love it.

Thanks! Iíve loved all 78 miles so far. I noticed all it says is change the oil either when it tells you to or once a year at a minimum. What do you do to yours?

sipafz
09-16-2018, 11:48 PM

Nice truck! Congrats!

JKbrick
09-17-2018, 01:26 AM
Nice truck! Congrats!

Thanks

Clifford33
09-17-2018, 04:27 AM
Congrats! Great looking truck. Me and my wife were thinking about getting a truck soon.

tippedover
09-17-2018, 01:22 PM
Great truck the 19 is the way to go with the IP5 engine for sure, the 18 has a few little issues. To bad no one has a tune for the IP5 yet chevy made that computer hard to break.

JKbrick
10-06-2018, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know if you have to somehow update your truck radio for apple car play when you update your phone? Mine worked great for the first 2 weeks I had it now all it tells me is it canít find Siri, right about when my phone updated

Zstairlessone
10-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know if you have to somehow update your truck radio for apple car play when you update your phone? Mine worked great for the first 2 weeks I had it now all it tells me is it canít find Siri, right about when my phone updated

No idea, but my F-150 didnít skip a beat when I updated to iOS 12, though it is only 2 months old

JKbrick
10-06-2018, 09:06 PM
No idea, but my F-150 didnít skip a beat when I updated to iOS 12, though it is only 2 months old

Ya my truck is 3 weeks old yesterday, I guess Iíll go ask the dealer, there is probably a young kid that works there that can fix it. Maybe I should ask my 4 year old

JKbrick
10-12-2018, 11:55 PM
Figured out a little more about Onstar and WiFi in a GM. They are two separate things, the WiFi actually comes from att through Onstar somehow. Anyway long story short they told me they couldnít take my credit card because there was a huge outstanding balance showing on my business account. I said how Iíve only had my truck for 2 weeks? Monday she said she would open a case and call me back. Hadnít heard by today so I hit the button again and get a guy this time, he says they are working on it but he still canít take a credit card because as soon as they do it will try to collect the $74 million dollar balance the computer shows I owe!! I laughed out loud at that one, and hung up.

jesse3638
10-12-2018, 11:58 PM
Figured out a little more about Onstar and WiFi in a GM. They are two separate things, the WiFi actually comes from att through Onstar somehow. Anyway long story short they told me they couldnít take my credit card because there was a huge outstanding balance showing on my business account. I said how Iíve only had my truck for 2 weeks? Monday she said she would open a case and call me back. Hadnít heard by today so I hit the button again and get a guy this time, he says they are working on it but he still canít take a credit card because as soon as they do it will try to collect the $74 million dollar balance the computer shows I owe!! I laughed out loud at that one, and hung up.

Haha WTF? How did that happen? Got to love computers.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

Arrcherr
10-13-2018, 12:12 AM
I'm really curious to hear exactly what you have to do on att or OnStar to get a 74 million dollar balance in 2 weeks. That's crazy!

JKbrick
10-13-2018, 12:13 AM
Haha WTF? How did that happen? Got to love computers.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

Idk, my daughter watched YouTube kids on my phone for those 2 weeks, thatís some expensive YouTube!

OverlanderJK
10-13-2018, 12:45 AM

Business must not be going well. Should have kept the dodge.

Ddays
10-13-2018, 01:21 AM
but he still can’t take a credit card because as soon as they do it will try to collect the $74 million dollar balance

:shock: Secretary driving a Bugatti and vacationing at the French Riveria these days? :cheesy:

I just had to get my third new card on my business account this year because someone got a hold of the number once more >:( What a gigantic PITA. Hope thats not what happened to yours.

Edit: LOL, BTW, what in the hell is the limit on your card?!?

JKbrick
10-13-2018, 01:39 AM
Business must not be going well. Should have kept the dodge.

:shock: Secretary driving a Bugatti and vacationing at the French Riveria these days? :cheesy:

I just had to get my third new card on my business account this year because someone got a hold of the number once more >:( What a gigantic PITA. Hope thats not what happened to yours.

Edit: LOL, BTW, what in the hell is the limit on your card?!?

Yes a real pain in the arse, I found out when I was financing the balance on the new truck a company with the same name as mine that is in Cleveland owes &35k in unpaid payroll taxes. I havenít had to change my checking account and credit cards for 2 or 3 years now

Ddays
10-13-2018, 01:55 AM
same name as mine that is in Cleveland owes &35k in unpaid payroll taxes.

Those stories always fascinate me. I couldn't imagine being that far behind in taxes. :eek:

jesse3638
10-13-2018, 02:54 AM
Those stories always fascinate me. I couldn't imagine being that far behind in taxes. :eek:
I hate carrying a balance on a credit card let alone having the IRS looming over me.

TrailHunter
10-14-2018, 04:17 AM
Got my new Work/Tow Rig yesterday. 2018 F150 XL 2.7 Ecoboost, Supercab, 6.5 Bed, 2WD. The 2.7 is a blast to drive.... The sound of it wonít drop any panties... but it will smoke some tires, tow the occasional 5-8klbs, handle daily job site visits and handle material runs perfectly.

Plans include:
2.5Ē Leveling kit
Black Method Wheels
33Ē AT tires
Headache Rack
Toolbox
Rear Air Bags
ARB rear lockers / compressor

jdofmemi
10-14-2018, 04:33 AM
Got my new Work/Tow Rig yesterday. 2018 F150 XL 2.7 Ecoboost, Supercab, 6.5 Bed, 2WD. The 2.7 is a blast to drive.... The sound of it wonít drop any panties... but it will smoke some tires, tow the occasional 5-8klbs, handle daily job site visits and handle material runs perfectly.

Plans include:
2.5Ē Leveling kit
Black Method Wheels
33Ē AT tires
Headache Rack
Toolbox
Rear Air Bags

Nice looking truck

I hope it is trouble free for you.

Those new F-150s sure have a lot of nice features.

jesse3638
10-14-2018, 05:45 AM
Congrats on the new purchase. We have a few at work and I like they way they drive. If I am back in the market for a 1/2 truck I'm going to look at them. Also love the color. My old Titan and new Sentra are very similar in color.

TrailHunter
10-14-2018, 06:01 AM
Nice looking truck

I hope it is trouble free for you.

Those new F-150s sure have a lot of nice features.

Congrats on the new purchase. We have a few at work and I like they way they drive. If I am back in the market for a 1/2 truck I'm going to look at them. Also love the color. My old Titan and new Sentra are very similar in color.

Thank you!! I canít believe the balls the 2.7 has... been driving like an A-hole in Sport mode and it reads 21mpg. I did get full 6yr 75k coverage.... for when I throw a rod.. [emoji51]

Bear_JKU
10-14-2018, 06:12 AM
Thatís a good looking truck TrailHunter! Congratulations!

WJCO
10-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Congrats on the new truck. Looks great.

JKbrick
10-14-2018, 02:18 PM
Nice work truck trail hunter

Jsouder53
10-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Thank you!! I canít believe the balls the 2.7 has... been driving like an A-hole in Sport mode and it reads 21mpg. I did get full 6yr 75k coverage.... for when I throw a rod.. [emoji51]

Great looking truck! I like the sound of that mpg! I have an f250 and hate the mpg. I fill it up $100 and get about 4.5 trips to work [emoji51] so Iíve been driving the jeep instead [emoji23] just have to drop my wife off at her work on the way.

TrailHunter
10-14-2018, 03:43 PM
Thatís a good looking truck TrailHunter! Congratulations!

Congrats on the new truck. Looks great.

Nice work truck trail hunter

Thank you!

Great looking truck! I like the sound of that mpg! I have an f250 and hate the mpg. I fill it up $100 and get about 4.5 trips to work [emoji51] so Iíve been driving the jeep instead [emoji23] just have to drop my wife off at her work on the way.

Thanks! Yeah, I can relate to your frustration.. I was burning close to a 1/4 tank per day on my GMC. Shit, between maintenance and fuel on the last truck, this one should pay for itself.

wayoflife
10-14-2018, 03:56 PM

Plans include:
2.5Ē Leveling kit
Black Method Wheels
33Ē AT tires
Headache Rack
Toolbox
Rear Air Bags

Sweet!! Congrats to you on the new truck :thumb:

TrailHunter
10-14-2018, 06:14 PM
Sweet!! Congrats to you on the new truck :thumb:

Thanks man. [emoji481]

JKbrick
10-17-2018, 12:37 AM
Figured out today the GMC can do this

wjtstudios
10-17-2018, 01:02 AM
Figured out today the GMC can do this

That is pretty cool!

JKbrick
11-30-2018, 11:27 PM
Tow rig floor liners, your awesome Jerry

Jsouder53
11-30-2018, 11:35 PM

Those are nice floor liners!

wjtstudios
12-01-2018, 12:14 AM

Just in time for muddy construction sites!

JKbrick
12-01-2018, 12:22 AM
Those are nice floor liners!

Thanks they fit perfect

JKbrick
12-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Just in time for muddy construction sites!

ĎĎTis the season, Iíd recommend them for your new truck[emoji106]

wjtstudios
12-01-2018, 12:27 AM
ĎĎTis the season, Iíd recommend them for your new truck[emoji106]

If it ever gets here.....

nbunga
12-01-2018, 12:44 AM

Havenít you had those for like a month now? [emoji848]

JKbrick
12-01-2018, 12:52 AM
Havenít you had those for like a month now? [emoji848]

At least! Finally had time to sweep the truck out and put them in. Went to the sweeperís at the new car wash on DuPont rd. Not free FYI but they will suck the chrome off a hitch ball holy chit

Ddays
12-01-2018, 03:31 AM

Glad they went to a good home Mark! Bill's right - they're perfect for shit weather like we have now. Damn jobsites all are a muddy mess right now. I don't think it's stopped raining or snowing since June! I was at one today and the dumbasses had a lift buried up past the wheel hubs :cheesy: Don't know why the idiot didn't stop. Anyhoo, glad you could use them. They'd still be sitting in my garage...

JKbrick
12-01-2018, 04:38 AM
Glad they went to a good home Mark! Bill's right - they're perfect for shit weather like we have now. Damn jobsites all are a muddy mess right now. I don't think it's stopped raining or snowing since June! I was at one today and the dumbasses had a lift buried up past the wheel hubs :cheesy: Don't know why the idiot didn't stop. Anyhoo, glad you could use them. They'd still be sitting in my garage...

Lol, they donít stop or think because it isnít their $80k they are driving! Thank you so much again [emoji106]

JKbrick
12-12-2018, 06:18 PM
My guy at GM yesterday told me the new HD trucks with the Duramax will have a 10 speed Allison behind them, too bad the front end is so damn ugly

BaddestCross
12-12-2018, 06:28 PM
My guy at GM yesterday told me the new HD trucks with the Duramax will have a 10 speed Allison behind them, too bad the front end is so damn ugly

It looks fine if you stand on your head. 😂

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

JKbrick
12-12-2018, 06:33 PM
It looks fine if you stand on your head. [emoji23]

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Lol! The pics he has look ok except from straight on 🤢🤮

BananaJeep
12-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Towing the TJ through Colorado this past summer. I was VERY impressed with how the Tundra handled the load going up and back down the mountain.

And towing my other Toyota the other day...

tippedover
12-30-2018, 02:12 AM
Question for everyone who tows: I was talking to some local guys and seems a few have different ideas of best way to tie a Jeep down. Some tie down to the bumpers and others to the axel.

Being newer to towing I was wondering if some with more experience have opinions on the matter.

OverlanderJK
12-30-2018, 02:20 AM
Question for everyone who tows: I was talking to some local guys and seems a few have different ideas of best way to tie a Jeep down. Some tie down to the bumpers and others to the axel.

Being newer to towing I was wondering if some with more experience have opinions on the matter.

I always tie to the axle.

Exodus Jeeps
12-30-2018, 02:40 AM

Always tie to the axle.

2nd.gunman
12-30-2018, 02:41 AM

Always tie dysgenic axles. If you tie down from the body/bumpers the straps will work loose or break over bumps.

tippedover
12-30-2018, 02:54 AM
Ok great thanks guys!

wibornz
01-06-2019, 02:32 PM
This is our tow vehicle, but now with an aluminum trailer. We call it the Shaggan Wagon and the Beast Wagon of Freedom. It frees us from the work week. This will be our base camp when we off road from Az to AK. She is a 99, a little rough of the outside, as we use it to horse camp, ATV/SXS camp and soon Jeep camp. So we do not fear tree stripping and dirt roads. Everything works great, and the inside is nice. Two slides make it roomy and it is self contained. I have big battery packs and solar on the roof.

https://scontent.fdet1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18589138_1661127427260892_1640880549952985998_o.jp g?_nc_cat=102&_nc_eui2=AeGDjuy4Lz3VQ8dzroIvU1GnKzWfrMwR0onB5h9-5jD2FISHq2DlF06yW4s60qAi_3kjzzVwn2x4cIE23wWWwiZ4e9 U5iGTNdVPl7jnrADSNpw&_nc_ht=scontent.fdet1-2.fna&oh=179152d78bd0771120721d3d2ff5a84d&oe=5CD7DBFB

Tumbleweed
01-06-2019, 09:39 PM
My latest towing setups...

hinrichs
01-08-2019, 10:11 PM
Guess I can post in here, didn't even see this when I originally got my new truck which is my work vehicle and toy hauler now. Planned on that from the beginning which was hard getting rid of the jeep.

jkbarnett
01-09-2019, 01:43 AM

Picked up the trailer to tow behind the truck camper. No more flat towing

jdofmemi
01-09-2019, 01:46 AM
👍
Trailer tires are cheaper than Jeep tires

TrailHunter
01-09-2019, 01:50 AM

Picked up the trailer to tow behind the truck camper. No more flat towing

Great setup... I could easily live like that for a while.

JYough
01-09-2019, 04:16 AM
mine and my dads towing rigs.

jkbarnett
01-09-2019, 05:11 AM
Yes, Iíd much rather buy trailer tires

wibornz
01-09-2019, 08:12 PM
The reason I bought a trailer is the cost of the trailer is about the cost to set up a vehicle to flat tow, and trailer tires are way cheaper than 37 jeep tires.

bhaner
01-09-2019, 08:49 PM
Anyone have a setup to tow two JKU's?

Been thinking about a nice gooseneck trailer.

Figure a 35+5 25k would do it.

jdofmemi
01-09-2019, 09:10 PM

I seen two early Broncos on that setup. They fit with room to spare

My only concern would be to make sure there is room to fold the ramps up, and have a heavy enough tow rig to handle the hitch weight with one rig all the way to the front.

bhaner
01-09-2019, 09:42 PM
I seen two early Broncos on that setup. They fit with room to spare

My only concern would be to make sure there is room to fold the ramps up, and have a heavy enough tow rig to handle the hitch weight with one rig all the way to the front.

Yep. My SRW 3500 is right at or slightly over capacity at that point. Looks like a good excuse for a DRW!

wjtstudios
01-09-2019, 11:09 PM

Havenít picked it up yet, but I will have s 32í gooseneck soon. Iíve measured it and for the load & Trail 32í 101Ē wide triple axle gooseneck fits two JKUs with about 18Ē between and in-front without hanging over rear.

The bigger issue is getting one with the 21k GVRW. The rigs will be north of 6k each and the trailer weight is around 7. That really pushes the towing capacity way up on the tow rig.

Iíll keep you posted. I should have it in about a month.

wjtstudios
01-09-2019, 11:11 PM
The load & trails ramps slide into the little bit of a dove tail that it has so you donít need to worry about folding them up.

wjtstudios
01-09-2019, 11:21 PM
Yep. My SRW 3500 is right at or slightly over capacity at that point. Looks like a good excuse for a DRW!

Yeah, itís right at the max of a SRW. Iím trying not to go DRW if I donít have too.

bhaner
01-09-2019, 11:29 PM
Yeah, itís right at the max of a SRW. Iím trying not to go DRW if I donít have too.

Doing the math... Best case I am about 2500# over.

Funny thing is with the SRW vs. DRW the axles and brakes are the same.

You go from towing 16,860 with my SRW and 3.42's to towing 30,310 with a DRW and 4.10's. That is a big jump!

Makes me want to just change from 3.42's to 4.10's and run it!

wjtstudios
01-09-2019, 11:41 PM
Doing the math... Best case I am about 2500# over.

Funny thing is with the SRW vs. DRW the axles and brakes are the same.

You go from towing 16,860 with my SRW and 3.42's to towing 30,310 with a DRW and 4.10's. That is a big jump!

Makes me want to just change from 3.42's to 4.10's and run it!

Yeah I came to a similar conclusion on the 3500. The frame, driveline, everything is basically the same between the two. If I had to guess, it may come down to the additional surface area of the second wheels. Iím going to run it for awhile and see how it goes. Worst case weíll dump a Jeep off and have them drive thru the worst of the elevation changes. But for me in Michigan, most everything here is pretty flat.

Long term goal of the Ram will be some AEV upgrades that will include a locked rear diff. Iíll probably bump up to 4:10s when I do that.

wjtstudios
01-09-2019, 11:52 PM
Another consideration on the DRW and the SRW will also be the load range for the tires. Iíll have to look into that as well with the additional pin weight from the Gooseneck and the weight distribution on the trailer and how that compares to the total tire max load. Iíd hate to blow a tire while hauling a couple jkus!

bhaner
01-10-2019, 01:02 AM
Another consideration on the DRW and the SRW will also be the load range for the tires. Iíll have to look into that as well with the additional pin weight from the Gooseneck and the weight distribution on the trailer and how that compares to the total tire max load. Iíd hate to blow a tire while hauling a couple jkus!

Yep. Same with hauling my camper. I am over weight on the rear axle by 1000#.

Some 19.5's would solve that! Rated at like 4200# a tire/wheel!

wjtstudios
01-10-2019, 01:24 AM
Yep. Same with hauling my camper. I am over weight on the rear axle by 1000#.

Some 19.5's would solve that! Rated at like 4200# a tire/wheel!

You had me thinking, so I had to look into it a bit. Best load rating I could find that fit mine was a BFG AT 285/65-20 that has a tire load rating of 3890. Still looking around though.

The General Grabber has a load rating of 4,080.

bhaner
01-10-2019, 01:34 AM
You had me thinking, so I had to look into it a bit. Best load rating I could find that fit mine was a BFG AT 285/65-20 that has a tire load rating of 3890. Still looking around though.

I have been looking as well. My 285/60R20's that came on the truck are about done at 45k. They are only good for 3640# a tire. I think the stock 20" wheels are only rated for 3700#. Most aftermarket 20" wheels are 3700#.

I am thinking about getting the Falken A/T3W's in stock size. Same rating as stock.

bhaner
01-10-2019, 01:46 AM
The General Grabber has a load rating of 4,080.

In what style and size? I didn't see anything on their site that high.

wjtstudios
01-10-2019, 02:02 AM

General tire Grabber X3 295/65/20. Tire rack had them for 353 per tire.

bhaner
01-10-2019, 02:47 AM
General tire Grabber X3 295/65/20. Tire rack had them for 353 per tire.

35.4 tall is a little more than I want to deal with towing heavy with the 3.42's. They would be a good choice after some 4.10's!

wjtstudios
01-10-2019, 02:50 AM
35.4 tall is a little more than I want to deal with towing heavy with the 3.42's. They would be a good choice after some 4.10's!

For sure. Well after all the work you just did on the JK, swapping in 4:10s Into the Ram should be a piece of cake.

wjtstudios
01-10-2019, 09:33 PM

The nitto Terra grappler in 295/60/20 also is 4080 and more of an AT instead of a MT tire.

jdofmemi
01-10-2019, 10:33 PM
Remember, axle ratings on single rear wheel is #7000. That is on a '16 F-350

Yes, with the right tires and skill driving, you can go higher, BUT, once the ratings are exceeded, you are at risk legally, and most insurance will not cover the problem.

When I was younger, I routinely hauled over the ratings on nearly everything I have owned, but I am older and I hope wiser now, so I don't admit to doing things like that anymore.😉

I'm just throwing it out there as a reminder of the risks when things go wrong.

Also, on the tire capacity, if you are within about 20% of the ratings, you are pushing it. Once near capacity, tires will start to sway and cause real problems, and speed makes it worse.
If you are pushing the limit, slow down, and make frequent stops to check tire and bearing temperatures.

Stay safe👍

bhaner
01-10-2019, 10:46 PM

Yep. Same on my 16 Ram 3500.

It can be a problem when hauling a camper and towing a bumper pull trailer. Even with EQ bars on the trailer I am at 8000# on the rear axle.

My next truck will be a DRW just for the peace of mind on long trips.

wjtstudios
01-10-2019, 10:51 PM

Yes, with the right tires and skill driving, you can go higher, BUT, once the ratings are exceeded, you are at risk legally, and most insurance will not cover the problem.

When I was younger, I routinely hauled over the ratings on nearly everything I have owned, but I am older and I hope wiser now, so I don't admit to doing things like that anymore.[emoji6]

I'm just throwing it out there as a reminder of the risks when things go wrong.

Also, on the tire capacity, if you are within about 20% of the ratings, you are pushing it. Once near capacity, tires will start to sway and cause real problems, and speed makes it worse.
If you are pushing the limit, slow down, and make frequent stops to check tire and bearing temperatures.

Stay safe[emoji106]

Thank you! Yes, the 18í Ram is the same. From your experience, is there an approximate ratio you use for tongue weight running a gooseneck or does it all depend on the trailer and how the load is distributed?

jdofmemi
01-11-2019, 01:22 AM
I mostly try to load based on the axle weight, as long as I can.

Load the drive axle, but not overload it.

bhaner
01-14-2019, 04:30 PM
Numbers for the new 2019 Ram 3500 came out today...

400 HP and 1000 TQ. 7,630# payload and 35,100# towing capacity!

That should do it!

wjtstudios
01-14-2019, 04:48 PM

That should do it!

Well, there you go! Thatís massive, but Iíd really hate to go DRW for a daily driver.

maskale
01-15-2019, 01:28 AM
2012 Ram 3500

Gooseneck is 25' with 9' camper on it.
The other is a 22', don't hardly use this for the Jeep anymore.

https://i.ibb.co/3C7rQsf/IMG-0510.jpg (https://ibb.co/RD9vdSh)

https://i.ibb.co/LdZJpVc/IMG-0630.jpg (https://ibb.co/60W1sjT)

JKbrick
01-15-2019, 01:59 AM

That should do it!

Did hp go down? Torque went up

bhaner
01-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Did hp go down? Torque went up

2018 was 385/930.

My 2016 is 385/900.

So a small bump in both.

bhaner
01-15-2019, 03:29 PM
2012 Ram 3500

Gooseneck is 25' with 9' camper on it.
The other is a 22', don't hardly use this for the Jeep anymore.

https://i.ibb.co/3C7rQsf/IMG-0510.jpg (https://ibb.co/RD9vdSh)

Nice! I would like to see more picture of how you mounted the camper! I have been interested in doing this for a while now.

jdofmemi
01-15-2019, 04:52 PM
2018 was 385/930.

My 2016 is 385/900.

So a small bump in both.

They came a long way. I had a 95 and it was rated at 160/400 and it was the king of the road at the time

bhaner
01-15-2019, 05:07 PM
They came a long way. I had a 95 and it was rated at 160/400 and it was the king of the road at the time

Yep. I have had a 94, 97, 03, 07 and now a 16.

Each time the technology just keeps getting better.

My 16 is the first truck that I didn't feel the need to modify. All the others had 400-850 HP and 700-1800 Ft/lbs torque.

I imagine the 19's will be even better.

jkbarnett
01-15-2019, 05:13 PM

I had a 95 also and thought it was a beast. No complaints now with my 2018.

maskale
01-18-2019, 08:26 PM
Nice! I would like to see more picture of how you mounted the camper! I have been interested in doing this for a while now.

I put a mini torque tube under the camper because goosenecks flex. Welded chains to cross members and then hooked turnbuckles to camper and down to the chains, also used spring cans on all corners. Four angle iron guides keep it from moving left to right. There are rubber bump stops on neck of trailer, the tie downs are pulling forward so camper stays pressed against those bump stops. Thousands of miles and the camper has never moved.

https://image.ibb.co/cZawCz/IMG-9266.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/mpfzze/IMG-8803.jpg

JKbrick
01-29-2019, 10:26 PM
Put the front cover on for the next 2 days
Here is our forecast

Jsouder53
01-29-2019, 10:36 PM
Here is our forecast

Good looking truck! Iíve seen those covers on vehicles around here and always wondered what they are for?

wjtstudios
01-29-2019, 10:50 PM
Time to batten down the hatches! Be safe these next couple of days

jdofmemi
01-30-2019, 12:04 AM
Good looking truck! Iíve seen those covers on vehicles around here and always wondered what they are for?

They block the ice cold air from the radiator so it can warm up.

Angry Aussie
01-30-2019, 12:18 AM
Here is our forecast

Thatís a nice truck.

JKbrick
01-30-2019, 01:01 AM
Time to batten down the hatches! Be safe these next couple of days

I wonder if any pipes will freeze? 🥶🥶

JKbrick
01-30-2019, 01:03 AM

Thatís a nice truck.

Thanks guys I really love it

wjtstudios
01-30-2019, 01:06 AM

I pray not! This is getting pretty crazy. Unless the site are insulated and under heat, most of my sites are shut down until next week. Itís hard to believe we were pouring foundations three weeks ago.

wjtstudios
01-30-2019, 01:08 AM
Thanks guys I really love it

Do you have a block heater on your diesel too?

OverlanderJK
01-30-2019, 02:34 AM

-30 back home tomorrow.

piginajeep
01-30-2019, 05:02 AM
I took a trip up to Bishop to pick up a explorer a couple weeks ago.

jkbarnett
01-30-2019, 05:05 AM

My backyard

piginajeep
01-30-2019, 05:10 AM
My backyard

I love it up there, Iím in the area often. I do work for a fiber network up there. Weíre everywhere in mono except for bishop 😂.

jdofmemi
01-30-2019, 05:37 AM

That's a beautiful picture!

Jsouder53
01-30-2019, 04:24 PM
They block the ice cold air from the radiator so it can warm up.

Ahhhhhh I see, makes sense. Is it necessary at all for Jeeps? Itís mainly trucks/buses I see with it