Can't break the rust!

Ginz

Trying to take stock bumper off, but for the life of me I can't get any of the outside nuts to move! I've blasted them with wd40, and damn near given myself a hernia. Can't get any leverage and when I do, socket slips off. Help!!

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Use PB Blaster. Let it sit a few hours, whack the nits/bolts with a hammer. PB blast again then try to remove the fasteners in the morning.

OJK12

I like to heat them up till they start to glow then Let them cool down completely and hit them with the impact gun. If they don't move after that I just cut/grind them off.

Mr.Green

I like to heat them up till they start to glow then Let them cool down completely and hit them with the impact gun. If they don't move after that I just cut/grind them off.

I usually just buy new hardware and cut the old off. Less time and helps get a lil destruction out of my system.

Ginz

I usually just buy new hardware and cut the old off. Less time and helps get a lil destruction out of my system.

If I had a power cutter, I would have lmao! Some rust penetrator, a hammer, and a little rage, and I finally got them all loose! Thank you little baby Jesus!! And WAL! Oh and I forgot, a bruised fingertip!

lonewolf

If your socket slips off, then you have rounded the nuts, and/or using a socket that's too large. If the nuts are rounded, then hammer a slightly smaller socket on them and hope you can get them off. If that doesn't work, then you will most likely need to drill them out (not fun).

Invest in a good cordless impact wrench (screw air, unless you want to fiddle with compressors and air lines), to avoid these situations again. They are way less likely to round off a bolt/nut, and have more torque than you can usually apply yourself.

Ginz

If your socket slips off, then you have rounded the nuts, and/or using a socket that's too large. If the nuts are rounded, then hammer a slightly smaller socket on them and hope you can get them off. If that doesn't work, then you will most likely need to drill them out (not fun).

Invest in a good cordless impact wrench (screw air, unless you want to fiddle with compressors and air lines), to avoid these situations again. They are way less likely to round off a bolt/nut, and have more torque than you can usually apply yourself.

Yea, never again. They slipped out not off. Terrible angle and not much room. Thanks for info though. After 2 beers, 7 gallons of sweat, bruised knuckles and tired palms, I'm done.

PB Blaster is your best friend in those situations. I used to work in power plant maintenance and you wouldn't believe the stuff it would break loose. Definitely made me a believer

Ginz

PB Blaster is your best friend in those situations. I used to work in power plant maintenance and you wouldn't believe the stuff it would break loose. Definitely made me a believer

They didn't have it where I went, and out of desperation I went with wd40. But I'm definitely gonna grab a can of that before I do anything else.

Top Bottom