Door Leaks water, what to do?

WW_Svi

Looking for some help from anyone that has had door leaks. I know this is a common problem but at the same time it isn't on every wrangler.

I bought Willy brand new from the dealer and shortly after I found out that the door leaks during rain storms.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466986890.552711.jpg

So far I have taken it to the dealer 4 times to get fixed. The previous times they have added the foam kits as well as a new door seal. The last time I took it in they had me point out where it leaks and that ran a hose on it for 5 minutes. There wasn't a leak so in that time so they stopped.

I then brought up the concern for lemon law since I'm getting close to 12k already. Then the dealership said that the even though they worked on it 3 times already, they were never actually able to replicate a leak. And don't get me wrong, I want to keep trying to get this fixed but I don't want this to continue on for another year.

What has everybody done here for this problem?
Any ideas on how to try to replicate a water leak? I was going to run a hose on it for a while and see.
Any home fixes for this? I have searched the Internet but I'm not sure anything will do it. I think it's coming from the the hole/rivet in the picture. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466987517.386241.jpg

8POUND

I feel your pain! My freedom tops were leaking and it went to the dealership about 12 times. They replaced every seal, gasket, butyl foam tape and the freedom tops. Finally, a TSB came out that fixed the issue.

So here is the funny thing about leaks. Where the warmer is dripping inside may not be where the leak actually is. The water can run from where the leak in the top is along the trim to where it finally drips inside. Try the hose in different places until you get the drip. My TJ would only leak if we had long term steady rain and it was towards the middle of the windshield but dripped by the drivers shoulder. Even our daily Florida thunderstorms wouldn't be enough for the leak, only when it rained for hours non stop. So it may take longer than 5 minutes for it to travel to where it is dripping. On my JK I have no issues with my soft top.

8POUND

The TSB was an issue with the tops leaking above the rear view mirror and water all over the radio/nav system. That was the major leak I had with mine.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Looking for some help from anyone that has had door leaks.

I had the exact same problem the day after installing my soft top. My doors looked exactly the same after an all day rain.
The circled foam was saturated with water:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466994592.514131.jpg
When I installed the plastic door surrounds, I put the knobs finger tight as a normal person would. As it rained, water got between the surrounds and rubber seal and the foam acted like a sponge until it became saturated and dripped in like shown in your picture. I fixed by tightening the shit out of the surround knobs; like put gloves on and tightened. They haven't leaked since.

Krystianjk

Damn I have The same issue in the same exact spot lol. But it only leaks when it rains super hard for quite a bit here in Miami

TennJK

They will always leak. The best solution is just have a rag under your seat. If you're worried enough then get some weatherstripping. It'll help

WW_Svi

Thanks for the pdf link, I've browsed through it before but will probably need to read it again. So far the dealer has done the foam pads and a new door seal, I think they are just doing each step at a time and charging Chrystler for it.

I know in the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world. But being an engineer, it just bothers me when things like this happen.

Either way, I appreciate the help from everyone and will keep trying to track this down.

MurderedJK

I gone through this for a few years. I bought a foam kit and added new foam to the freedom panels. I also added EXTRA foam to those areas (your pics) and I haven't had a leak at that spot since (going on 2 years now). That only solved ONE leak area... I'm at the point where on rainy days I pull the drain plugs and don't stress.

Top Bottom