Renegade Trailhawk Off-road Abilities

WarHawk

I went on a trail ride this weekend in my Renegade and wanted to provide some feedback from this trip. This was the second time I've been off road, so I am proclaiming my lack of experience from the start. I bought this vehicle with the My Sky option because I wanted something that would give me that "almost a Wrangler" feeling when it comes to wind exposure. I bought the Trailhawk package because I wanted to do some light off roading. Some people who own Jeeps never take them off road or remove the tops, but I do both with my Renegade. We chose the Renegade over a Wrangler because it is my wife's daily driver for mostly city driving, and she has always driven smaller vehicles. I am very impressed with Jeep's "Active Drive Low." The Renegade always surprises other off roaders with its ability to handle obstacles on the trail. There is some serious electronic wizardry going on when it comes to the 4x4 system. I know that it's off-road prowess is child's play compared to some other vehicles, but it is soooo much fun going off road! I want to encourage anyone with a Trailhawk version to get off the highway and hit the trail. This thing can do way more than drive down a dirt road like some image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Subaru. I've attached some pictures for your entertainment.

WarHawk

The Achilles heal for this Jeep is ground clearance. As good as the 4x4 system is, you will be seriously limited because of the need for more ground clearance. There were five of us in the Renegade (except when I asked my daughter to take a picture or video). That didn't help the issue!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Great to see you getting your Renegade out on the trails. Thanks for posting this up :thumb:

FireHawk

The Achilles heal for this Jeep is ground clearance. As good as the 4x4 system is, you will be seriously limited because of the need for more ground clearance. There were five of us in the Renegade (except when I asked my daughter to take a picture or video). That didn't help the issue!

I agree. A lift kit and some beefier tires definitely help a little, but it aint no Rubicon for sure. I have the lift in, and am shopping for wheels/tires right now.

WarHawk

I agree. A lift kit and some beefier tires definitely help a little, but it aint no Rubicon for sure. I have the lift in, and am shopping for wheels/tires right now.

I saw a guy out on the trail with a DayStar lift kit on his Renegade Trailhawk. He was singing its praises. He also said he hit a few of the harder trails that I had avoided.

Rhameolution

How do you like the MySky option? Is it easy to remove the panels and go? We have the SkySlider on our Liberty, but I don't trust the mechanism as much as I used to - it's an 08.

WarHawk

How do you like the MySky option? Is it easy to remove the panels and go? We have the SkySlider on our Liberty, but I don't trust the mechanism as much as I used to - it's an 08.

The My Sky option can be a bit challenging at first, but I'm glad we chose it. Putting the panels in the bag and then putting the bag in the small hatch area is a pain. However, once you let the sunshine in and the wind starts blowing on a nice day it is certainly worth it!

FireHawk

I love mine, and use it almost daily. Since I have the powered MySky(which I think most of them are, but there is an option for non-powered I believe), I rarely take the rear panel off and just have the front open. With the roof open and all 4 windows down, there isn't too much wind noise and I personally think its more than enough for ripping around town.

When we go on longer road trips ill pop the rear panel off and throw it in the bag, and open the front panel, but still leaving it on. This helps to reduce the buffeting noise and still let all the air in for a great "open" feel.

WarHawk

Mine is the manual My Sky option. The powered version is definitely the way to go, but I didn't have many options as I bought a 2015 Trailhawk in February of 2016.

FireHawk

Mine is the manual My Sky option. The powered version is definitely the way to go, but I didn't have many options as I bought a 2015 Trailhawk in February of 2016.

I bought mine in late February this year and its a '15 model as well. I specifically had the dealer track me down a 15 so I could get the longer powertrain warranty.

Must just be location, as they found several in my area with more or less the same packages as the one I picked up.

Top Bottom