Sport 2016 Gear and Locker upgrades

lesterjanpearson

I have sport 2016, with 35x12.50. what are best gear upgrade for me?

I'm planning to add lockers also. any suggestions?

Should I get sway bars?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have sport 2016, with 35x12.50. what are best gear upgrade for me?

I'm planning to add lockers also. any suggestions?

Should I get sway bars?

Auto or manual? Plans for 37's at all?

Arb is what I would do.

You jeep comes with sway bars lol all you need is quick disconnects. I suggest the jks ones

lesterjanpearson

Arb is what I would do.

You jeep comes with sway bars lol all you need is quick disconnects. I suggest the jks ones

Automatic, maybe way into the future, cause my 35's is still a weak old.

I didnt know that since I am a new jeep owner, and really dont know anyone who owns a jeep.

I always though it didnt have it LOL. the sales agent didnt really give me any demo's at all.

So I can choose a higher gear ratio with the ARB air lockers?

swampdog

Go 4.88 gears. Locker should have no sway on gearing unless you are getting to a questionable pinion size (5.13 and up).

tonytony9

I would say go for 5.13's since you have 35's and they will allow you to move up to 37's in the future.

Coop

Caught the Bug
I agree with swampdog. If switching to 37s is way down the road, 35s and 513 would be too high an rpm to live with for several years, at least for me.

TennJK

4.88 gears because a 5.13 pinion is small in a d30. That's what I did. And i would recommend a selectable locker (ARB, Eaton) over a auto locker. I have a grizzly and I wish I would've gone a different route. But hindsight is 20/20. Leave the d30 open. A locker in it is just asking for it to grenade. Just my $.02

Jk909

Arb is what I would do.

I want to go with an arb when I replace my d30, I know they are the best but they sure aren't budget minded. How are E-lockers? It seems like they'd be a lot cheaper

Coop

Caught the Bug
I like the Eaton Elocker. I used it in my D30 and pit it in my pr44. No problems, but that's just me.

tonytony9

4.88 gears because a 5.13 pinion is small in a d30. That's what I did. And i would recommend a selectable locker (ARB, Eaton) over a auto locker. I have a grizzly and I wish I would've gone a different route. But hindsight is 20/20. Leave the d30 open. A locker in it is just asking for it to grenade. Just my $.02

I have d30 as well and was recommended 5.13 by many. Are you saying I wont be able to pull of 5.13 in a d30? Just curious.

Coop

Caught the Bug
If you don't mind me asking what was the price of the eaton including the install?
The Elocker was right at $850 and the install on the D30 required a larger carrier and I think the install plus carrier was $400. The d44 doesn't require the carrier change.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Overlander ran a 5.13 in a D30. If you plan to upgrade the front, later, why regear the rear, twice.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Overlander ran a 5.13 in a D30. If you plan to upgrade the front, later, why regear the rear, twice.

So did I BUT you should really leave them open and not lock them. The r&p is super small as it is at that point so locking it would only add more stress

DKjeep

I agree, 5.13 in a D30 is fine and dont lock it. Does anyone here remember when they sold 5.38's for the D30? That was a bad idea, 5.13 is the practical limit for the D30.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
So did I BUT you should really leave them open and not lock them. The r&p is super small as it is at that point so locking it would only add more stress

By not lock them, I'm pretty sure Coz means don't lock the dirty 30, up front.

lesterjanpearson

Maybe I should just go with 4.88. I doubt I'll go to 37's. not gonna fit with parking structures here.

Both front and rear?

so ARB Air Lockers is the way to go? Front and Rear?

Top Bottom