DIY Garage hardtop removal for JKU

I have a plan but wanted to post up here before I go to Lowes and get the parts. Just incase someone has a better option.

My plan includes 2 tie down straps and 4 eye bolts. I was going to simply screw the eye bolts into the ceiling joists and run the straps front to back of the hard top and just lift that sucker right up, while backed into my garage. Figured those eye bolts would hold just fine since the hardtop weighs no more than 125 lbs or so.

Anyone have success with this, pictures, or alternate ideas?

TRLJNKY

I wish I could hoist it but my joists hang to low. I just pull mine and have brackets and eyebolts on the wall. I lean the hard top top side against the wall and than use tie downs to suck it up against the wall. I still have to have my son help pull the top though :( Hope it works out for you

cjmenma

I have a plan but wanted to post up here before I go to Lowes and get the parts. Just incase someone has a better option.

My plan includes 2 tie down straps and 4 eye bolts. I was going to simply screw the eye bolts into the ceiling joists and run the straps front to back of the hard top and just lift that sucker right up, while backed into my garage. Figured those eye bolts would hold just fine since the hardtop weighs no more than 125 lbs or so.

That is exactly what I did in my Garage. However, I used 4 tie down straps, one for each corner of the top. I'll snap a picture tonight. It's been holding fine for about a year now. Quick, easy and cheap setup.
Just remember to disconnect the third brake light wiring harness and wiper fluid line before driving away, ask me how I know :crazyeyes:, almost busted all out and got a big scratch on one of my doors. :mad:

Speeddmn

That is exactly what I did in my Garage. However, I used 4 tie down straps, one for each corner of the top. I'll snap a picture tonight. It's been holding fine for about a year now. Quick, easy and cheap setup.
Just remember to disconnect the third brake light wiring harness and wiper fluid line before driving away, ask me how I know :crazyeyes:, almost busted all out and got a big scratch on one of my doors. :mad:

Basically the same, used a 2x4 with eye bolts under the top and then straps from those to the eyebolts in the ceiling. Remember the front part of the 4 door top is much lighter, so be cautious.

Ive seen other use pool noodles and some pipe/angle iron to make a claw type attachment that would sit on top of your top and then an electric winch to pull it up. Might be an idea, but will be a few more bucks.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

I created my own DIY setup for a cargo box, but it was surprisingly expensive, over $100 once I got all of the rope, wood, tackle, etc.

What I found to be absolutely amazing with the Harken Hoister. I just installed it and absolutely love it. Here are some photos:

IMG_2109.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

I was super impressed by how easy it was to lift the hardtop. I also stored the freedom top panels right above it. Now it is completely out of the way and no danger is hitting my head on it at all. Again, highly recommend this hoist system.

Napalm

Tried a similar plan.. Couldn't get it to work... Got frusterated... Sold the hardtop and bought a Trektop.. No more frustration ;)

steve_bk

I do this for my 4 door hard top. I do it by myself all manual 4 ratchet straps, 4 eye bolts. Takes my about half an hour to pull the top off and put it back on. Once i have it off the jeep I add a 2x4 on the back end and a 2x4 on the front for support. When i first lift it off it's all ratchet straps to various roof points.

Thanks for all the pics! So I just finished it. Pain in the ass to find the joists...i had to use a rare earth magnet to find them. But it's up! I know it's secure, but I'm just nervous of course lol.

Attachments

• hardtop hoist_6.29.16.jpg
    hardtop hoist_6.29.16.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 128
Tried a similar plan.. Couldn't get it to work... Got frusterated... Sold the hardtop and bought a Trektop.. No more frustration ;)

might be the best comment of them all lol. i plan on going trektop in the future as well, which at that point, will most likely sell of my hardtop.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Thanks for all the pics! So I just finished it. Pain in the ass to find the joists...i had to use a rare earth magnet to find them. But it's up! I know it's secure, but I'm just nervous of course lol.

Now that you got it up have you tried to lower it back down onto your Jeep? Have you considered negative affects to the rear window seal as the strap travels across it under load? Any children and consideration to their safety? You probably have 50k+ invested into your Jeep. Invest $200 for a decent lift! I use the Racor as others have mentioned. It was less than $140 with store pickup at Home Depot. Lumber, hardware and straps brought the total to $180. Easy to install, easy to use by yourself, allows for higher lift, freedom panel storage on top and most importantly its secure!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467243158.965001.jpg

Now that you got it up have you tried to lower it back down onto your Jeep? Have you considered negative affects to the rear window seal as the strap travels across it under load? Any children and consideration to their safety? You probably have 50k+ invested into your Jeep. Invest $200 for a decent lift! I use the Racor as others have mentioned. It was less than $140 with store pickup at Home Depot. Lumber, hardware and straps brought the total to $180. Easy to install, easy to use by yourself, allows for higher lift, freedom panel storage on top and most importantly its secure!
View attachment 210426

I definitely don't have $50K in my jeep lol. I did try lowering it down immediately after I first hoisted it up. It came down just fine and I don't see any issues in that. I thought about the rear window seal, and I'll probably add some foam tubing in the very near future...I only plan to have the top off during spans of nice weather in Houston, which doesn't happen too often (rains frequently here). I don't have any children, yet. My wife and I will work on that when she's done medical residency. Your hoist looks really nice and secure, I'm not sure I have enough room in my garage to install that but I'll look into it more. It just sounded like people ran this similar setup with success and I did the same.

Top Bottom