What is this noise?

GoldenJK

Any ideas what this noise is coming from the front of my 2007 JK. It only happens when vehicle is moving and making right turns. I've triple checked that nothing in the suspension, tires, or brakes is rubbing. My guess is the steering gearbox is worn but don't want to replace only to find that it didn't fix the problem. Would that make this sound or any other ideas?

Here is a 15 second video of the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huI4pFeRYKQ&feature=YouTube.be

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Any ideas what this noise is coming from the front of my 2007 JK. It only happens when vehicle is moving and making right turns. I've triple checked that nothing in the suspension, tires, or brakes is rubbing. My guess is the steering gearbox is worn but don't want to replace only to find that it didn't fix the problem. Would that make this sound or any other ideas?

Video coming up as unavailable.
EDIT: Working now.

WJCO

Meme King
Sounds like it's only happening right when you're on the steering stop (all the way turned to the right). It also sounds like tire could be rubbing on something really thin. I would turn tires all the way in the driveway, and then get out and look if there's anything close to them. Also, when turned, make sure tie rod, drag link, and track bar aren't rubbing on something thin.

GoldenJK

Sounds like it's only happening right when you're on the steering stop (all the way turned to the right). It also sounds like tire could be rubbing on something really thin. I would turn tires all the way in the driveway, and then get out and look if there's anything close to them. Also, when turned, make sure tie rod, drag link, and track bar aren't rubbing on something thin.

Noise happens even at a partial steer. Also, I've thoroughly checked for rubbing at any point. No signs at all regardless of steering point.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

It almost seems to make a noise when the left front suspension gets loaded with weight, whether through throttle or a change in the aspect of the road. That is the most I could gather from the video. My guess is also the gearbox since maybe it groans under stress?

Good luck and please let us know what you eventually find out.

WJCO

Meme King
I would zap your tie rod boots, ball joint boots, front axle ujoints, and coil spring rubber isolators with a little white lithium grease. Turn it a few times and retest. Truthfully it sounds more like a creaking noise from something dry. I don't want to fully exclude the steering box, but sure doesn't sound like that to me. Maybe jack up the front end too, and with the steering wheel unlocked, turn wheels by hand and see if you can feel something binding. Does it sound like noise is coming from LF or RF ?

EDIT: You have hydro assist too don't you? I'm not familiar with working on that system, but wonder if it could be related to that too?

TRLJNKY

Exactly ^^^^^. WJCO is on it. Ive never heard a gearbox sound like that. Something is creaking under stress or barely rubbing. It would drive me nuts also till I found it

GoldenJK

What's frustrating is I even took it to Trail Jeeps to check out. Murphys law came into play. I pulled into parking lot and noise stopped, we test drove and it barely made the noise, then I took it home and the noise came back!!! They suggested flushing power steering fluid and check axel shafts for any issues since I might have bent one due to my front locker issue (there is another thread about that). I did both last night and it didn't change. Plan is to drop it off at Trail Jeeps next week if I can't figure it out.

GoldenJK

I greased ball joints and lower control arms. They are only ones with grease zerks, and shot grease a bunch of other places with no change. One thought was to loosen the track bar and grease the rubber bushings real good. That's the only one I think would be steering related and haven't tried yet.

No I don't have hydro assist steering yet, maybe someday soon if my steering box is bad. Running 37s and the sector shaft on my steering box looks worn out.

If it was suspension I would think noise would happen when I hit bumps at any steer angle but it's only going right, even just a little right.

GoldenJK

Check to make sure your abs sensor is in good shape. Almost sounds like the abs actuating.

Interesting, brake pedal does not feel like abs is doing anything but how do I check the abs sensor? All I see is the wire going into the unit bearing housing (I replaced the unit bearings 3-4 months ago).

WJCO

Meme King
Maybe just for kicks, turn the wheel to the right in your driveway. Then get out and rock the Jeep by hand back and forth just to simulate any body roll motion. See if you can hear it. Sure is a crazy noise. Good luck. You could buy a Chassis Ear diagnostic set, but there a little pricey. Super helpful diagnostic tool though for this exact scenario.

Byte

U-joint? If the needle bearings are wearing grooves in the bearing surface they can start to click when turning.

GoldenJK

Tried all, no luck. It just doesn't sound like a creak or squeak when you hear it live and it's too uniform. It doesn't vary with speed, engine rpm, or how much you turn the steering wheel.

My best guess is still the steering box. Movement of the suspension during a turn puts added force on the sector shaft. If the box is worn out would a failing bearing or seal, or fluid slipping past the piston make a noise like this?

I'm far from a steering expert so looking for input.
Thx

GoldenJK

U-joint? If the needle bearings are wearing grooves in the bearing surface they can start to click when turning.

I would think the sound would vary with speed, but it doesn't. Also, failing u-joint would be a popping/clicking sound???

Byte

I would think the sound would vary with speed, but it doesn't. Also, failing u-joint would be a popping/clicking sound???

Yup. Get the drivers side up on a jack stand and reach in and see if there is a little play in the u-joint. Turn the steering wheel to lock both ways and turn the tire while looking at the u-joint. Check to see if there is a slight hesitation before the shaft side starts to turn from when you start to turn the tire. If you turn it back and forth and you see that slight hesitation as it takes up the slack you'll know the joint is bad. At lock, you might also feel the needle bearing hopping over any grooves worn into the bearing surface as you turn the tire. Probably have to be pretty bad though for it to transfer through a large tire and be able to be felt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOEdul7nscY

:35 in on this video shows the condition it sounds like.

So this one isn't just a quick swap out to test. But if you are feeling any of the play I described it might be a bad u-joint and then changing it out would be necessary.

Hope it's something much simpler though. And fast and free to correct. :)

PS Yeah I would think the noise would change with speed. At first it did sound a lot like the edge of the tread lugs barely hitting something thin as was mentioned earlier by others. The KO2's on my Tacoma rub a little at the back of the wheel well and it makes an odd sound like that but it does change pitch with speed.

Last edited:

GoldenJK

Called and talked to Mark at West Texas Offroad about rebuilding steering gearbox. They rebuild about 50 steering boxes a month so lots of experience. After describing the sound he said they have never had a steering box make a noise like that so he doubted the box was the problem, and suggested the u-joint possiblity. I'll do a little investigating of that tonight.

WTOR did suggest their Redneck Ram Hydro Assist setup since I'm running 37s. Not to fix this problem but to prevent future problems. Sounds like something to add to the future upgrade list which keeps getting longer.....

GoldenJK

Still don't know what the noise is but it's coming from the rear drivers side, not the front. Drove with the top and doors off and could clearly tell the noise is coming from the back wheel area. Any ideas what that could be?
Only happens on right turns, visually do not see any signs of rubbing, confirmed the rotor dust shield isn't rubbing. Thought it could be something inside the parking brake drum but all looks okay and the sound is still there even if I have the parking brake partially engaged while going through a curve.
Getting tired of trying to figure this one out.

Top Bottom