Trail mapping

Chadman

So I have a 2009 with the nav and one of my favorite features was the bread crumb or trail mapping. Then you could save the trail. I recently purchased a new 2016 and I assumed the nav would be the same. Well it is not. It is now a Garmin system it does not have a trail mapping option. Very disappointed!! I have been to their website and I am not seeing anything for that feature. Does anyone know how I can get the trail mapping back onto my nav?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
This one? View attachment 210384

It ain't cheap, how does it work exactly?

Yea you don't have to get the bundle and it's cheaper. Just runs on your device GPS so as long as you download the map you want, you can access it offline. You can create tracks on your phone or PC and access them from your phone or iPad. You can also record your track and it'll show you stats of the trip like elevation, length, average speed, etc. you can upload .gpx files or create them. It's a pretty slick setup. I emailed Gaia about the price and they said if I didn't like the app they'd refund the price. I got it on sale on Memorial Day for 9.99. I'd recommend it and I think others on here would too. There's some YouTube videos that explain how to use it so you can check those out before you buy.

TRLJNKY

I spent the $20 and went for it after our lil local run and Sharkey's recommendation. Downloaded a pretty good sized local map and tested it this last weekend. I think its awesome.

its because they Stopped using the 730s and only have the 430s now. you could buy and swap in a 730. sometimes you can find a great deal on them. WxNerd did it in his build thread,

BenJKWrangler15

Yea you don't have to get the bundle and it's cheaper. Just runs on your device GPS so as long as you download the map you want, you can access it offline. You can create tracks on your phone or PC and access them from your phone or iPad. You can also record your track and it'll show you stats of the trip like elevation, length, average speed, etc. you can upload .gpx files or create them. It's a pretty slick setup. I emailed Gaia about the price and they said if I didn't like the app they'd refund the price. I got it on sale on Memorial Day for 9.99. I'd recommend it and I think others on here would too. There's some YouTube videos that explain how to use it so you can check those out before you buy.

Really cool!!! thanks for the input :thumb:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
cav♤fighter;728902 said:
I spent the $20 and went for it after our lil local run and Sharkey's recommendation. Downloaded a pretty good sized local map and tested it this last weekend. I think its awesome.

I did the same and I love it. Run it on the iPad and it's helped me out on the trails quite a bit.

JoeB-JKURX

pdf Maps

You can also (free) download an app called pdf Maps by Avenza. It lets you use any geo-indexed pdf (all Forest Service MVUMs are available as geo-indexed maps on the Web). It will show where you are on the MVUM (are you "Follow(ing) the Trail"?) and you can also record your track. I use both Gaia and pdf Maps (Gaia usually gives better resolution but I've yet to find an MVUM for Gaia).

Top Bottom