max lift for stock shocks for sport unlimited 2016

Ginz

There are a couple of 2" lifts out there that come with a spacer for the shock. I don't know how good or bad they are. I just know they exist. The more knowledgable guys can guide you better.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't go any higher than 2" without at least shock extensions if you plan on running any trails. I ran 1 3/4" spacers with stock shocks for a few months and it worked ok but I definitely noticed the reduced down travel.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Rubicon Express has a 2" spacer lift with shock extensions and bumpstops for $210. Only thing you may need in addition is brakeline extension. Easy way to get started.

I ran a 2.5" budget boost for about a year on stock shocks and springs. Only offroaded maybe 5 times during that year, but it held up fine. I was careful and didn't flex it too hard though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As so many have already mentioned, 2.5" is the most I'd go and ONLY if you install shock extensions. There are down sides to going this route such as your up travel will be limited and if you play hard enough, your shock will bend at the extension - trust me, I have seen it happen many times.

BenJKWrangler15

As so many have already mentioned, 2.5" is the most I'd go and ONLY if you install shock extensions. There are down sides to going this route such as your up travel will be limited and if you play hard enough, your shock will bend at the extension - trust me, I have seen it happen many times.

Good intel for beginners

RRien07

Ran a 2" budget boost in my JKU for many years till I could afford to lift it the way I wanted it. I had no issues. Budget boosts are a great way to go till you figure out what types of runs you like best.

BenJKWrangler15

but the problem is the shop here keep saying I wouldnt be able to fit 35x12.50 and 20x12 rims on and 2"-2.5" spacer lift.

You'll be fine, as long as you have the appropriate backspace on the rims you want to put on. I've never been a big wheels small sidewall guy but that's me. More rubber the better in my opinion (and my girlfriend's pregnant, can you believe that .—.) Anyways, a 35" tire will fit just fine. I have 33's and no lift on a stock 2015 Jeep JK Sport and I would have been able to fit a 35. Note, I said fit, not run, because I most likely would have rip those suckers apart on the body and cause damage to my fenders and fenderwell while off roading. But with a BB and appropriate BS, you'll be just fine :)

Napalm

Here's a photo of a 2 inch EVO level with stock Rubicon shocks. Worked fine for my level of wheeling, road great, and allowed for a 35" tire. I prefer this setup so much, I'm running it on my new rig when the time comes. It is a great budget option and pairs well with Rancho shocks when you're ready to upgrade.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467471691.681457.jpg

lesterjanpearson

You'll be fine, as long as you have the appropriate backspace on the rims you want to put on. I've never been a big wheels small sidewall guy but that's me. More rubber the better in my opinion (and my girlfriend's pregnant, can you believe that .—.) Anyways, a 35" tire will fit just fine. I have 33's and no lift on a stock 2015 Jeep JK Sport and I would have been able to fit a 35. Note, I said fit, not run, because I most likely would have rip those suckers apart on the body and cause damage to my fenders and fenderwell while off roading. But with a BB and appropriate BS, you'll be just fine :)

the thing is this rig will barely see any flexing. maybe trails and rough roads and muddy roads going to the mountains and farms but no flexing probably.

I hear about 35s fitting, but could anyone tell me if 20x12 -44 will do aswell with 2-2.5" with mayb cutting some stuff inside the fenders.

Ginz

the thing is this rig will barely see any flexing. maybe trails and rough roads and muddy roads going to the mountains and farms but no flexing probably.

I hear about 35s fitting, but could anyone tell me if 20x12 -44 will do aswell with 2-2.5" with mayb cutting some stuff inside the fenders.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467473904.354422.jpg

35's with a 2.5" lift. No cutting. Just curious, but why 20" rims?

CarolinaJK

Here's a photo of a 2 inch EVO level with stock Rubicon shocks. Worked fine for my level of wheeling, road great, and allowed for a 35" tire. I prefer this setup so much, I'm running it on my new rig when the time comes. It is a great budget option and pairs well with Rancho shocks when you're ready to upgrade.
View attachment 210702

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what length of shock were you using? I'm about to switch from my Rubicon shocks, but didn't know which Ranchos to get.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

That's a really wide wheel. Would you be running a 35x12.5? With that combo you'll have a lot of wheel exposed and the risk of losing a bead is higher. I'm not sure if that would cause rubbing being that wide. Maybe someone else on here can answer that. If you look at your tire specs you'll see a recommended wheel width range. I think you'll find 12in too wide. But yes, you can mount everything up and it will work but may have some rubbing and won't be ideal.

lesterjanpearson

That's a really wide wheel. Would you be running a 35x12.5? With that combo you'll have a lot of wheel exposed and the risk of losing a bead is higher. I'm not sure if that would cause rubbing being that wide. Maybe someone else on here can answer that. If you look at your tire specs you'll see a recommended wheel width range. I think you'll find 12in too wide. But yes, you can mount everything up and it will work but may have some rubbing and won't be ideal.

35x12.50 trail grapplers along with that 20x12 rims.

BenJKWrangler15

You'll be fine as long as you run that 2" lift - probably no need to cut anything other than maybe trimming your stock fenders. Other than that, it should be A1

lesterjanpearson

You'll be fine as long as you run that 2" lift - probably no need to cut anything other than maybe trimming your stock fenders. Other than that, it should be A1

Do you think thats just a 2" lift on that pic? I cant find any description from the place I downloaded tha pic. LOL

I'm just leaning on a 2" cause I am abit on a budget since I just paid for the down payment of the jeep, still hurts a bit. but hey its my car.

BenJKWrangler15

Do you think thats just a 2" lift on that pic? I cant find any description from the place I downloaded tha pic. LOL

I'm just leaning on a 2" cause I am abit on a budget since I just paid for the down payment of the jeep, still hurts a bit. but hey its my car.

Thought it was a WAL write up, ends up it's from another forum but hey, just putting the info out here

Here's the link, it should answer all your questions regarding tire sizes you can run w/ the kind of lift needed to do so

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/largest-tire-on-stock-jk-heres-your-answer-142837.html#/enter

Top Bottom