Ayudame Por Favor

cevery

Hello All

Time has come for me to start making some modifications. Currently I am more budget minded than I would like to be. (But what Jeeper does not want more)

I will be installing the Teraflex 2.5 Budget boost on my 12 JK Sport and its really deciding about size tires & wheels. I know this opens a lot of opinions on preference but thought if anyone would lend their thoughts it would be appreciated.

1) Wheel Size
I carried 15x8 on my 2000 TJ with 35x12.5 Swampers for years. I really enjoyed it.
I know with the JK its more common to go with a 17". I am seeing a $50 savings per wheel if I go with the 15x8 vs 17x8.5
If its looks I would rather have less Wheel. Will performance really be affected?

2)Tire Size
I really want to jump the gun and put 35's on but its opening the door to much more. Re-Gear, beefing up the axel, Tire Carrier etc. I will eventually do this but I honestly dont know when. If I go 33's I am seeing about a $100 dollar difference in tires which would allow me to buy a spare right away too.

RockyJk

Im running 35x12.5x15 hankook mt's with a superchips tuner its not too bad dont have it regeared either

10frank9

Web Wheeler
If it helps, I've been running 295/70/18's for about a year on stock gearing (4.10) also with a 2.5" budget boost. It's fine. My tires measure out to 34.5" so nearly 35's. if I were you I would go with 35's you'll regret it later if you don't.

If you go with 15's make sure you get a Beadlock wheel or a tire with a strong sidewall. As you probably know with more tire sidewall you run a higher risk popping a Bead when aired down. And some tires such as the BFG KM2 have a weak sidewall which is more prone to tears and punctures.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1) Wheel Size
I carried 15x8 on my 2000 TJ with 35x12.5 Swampers for years. I really enjoyed it.
I know with the JK its more common to go with a 17". I am seeing a $50 savings per wheel if I go with the 15x8 vs 17x8.5 If its looks I would rather have less Wheel. Will performance really be affected?

17" is more common now a days and really what I prefer but, so long as you run a steel wheel or are willing to do some grinding of your brake calipers, you can run a 15" wheel on a JK. An 8" to 8.5" wheel is what I would definitely recommend as the narrower width will help hold your bead when aired down. Also, you need to make sure that you get a wheel with about 4.5" of back spacing or less. This is critical to prevent rubbing.

2)Tire Size
I really want to jump the gun and put 35's on but its opening the door to much more. Re-Gear, beefing up the axel, Tire Carrier etc. I will eventually do this but I honestly dont know when. If I go 33's I am seeing about a $100 dollar difference in tires which would allow me to buy a spare right away too.

I would definitely get 35's. With your 3.6L motor, you'll be fine and won't have to regear. You will need to make sure that you correctly recalibrate your speedo though as if you don't, your shift points will be off and your performance will suffer. Axle C-gussets are needed as well.

Top Bottom