Man rolls his FJ 250 feet down Montezuma Basin, CO

boardsurfer

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/22697655-113/man-rolls-truck-250-feet-down-mountain-outside

Short version: guy tries to cross a snow bank on a shelf road, gets stuck, decides to keep trying and pays for it.

How many fails can you spot in this story? It's real easy to look back at the situation and realize how many times he went wrong. The take-away here is to know before it's too late. It's like the poor guy had tunnel vision and was only focused on getting across. It's ok to swallow your pride and turn around. I really feel bad for the guy but you have to know when things go from bad to worse it's time to call it off.

To all the Denver wheelers - some peaks just arent ready yet! :grayno:

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

His takeaway is to buy another FJ. Or... He could but a Jeep so he doesn't need a 6" lift to put 35" tires on it and has a narrower wheel base so he wouldn't have slipped off the road to begin with.

Petzl88

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/22697655-113/man-rolls-truck-250-feet-down-mountain-outside

Short version: guy tries to cross a snow bank on a shelf road, gets stuck, decides to keep trying and pays for it.

How many fails can you spot in this story? It's real easy to look back at the situation and realize how many times he went wrong. The take-away here is to know before it's too late. It's like the poor guy had tunnel vision and was only focused on getting across. It's ok to swallow your pride and turn around. I really feel bad for the guy but you have to know when things go from bad to worse it's time to call it off.

To all the Denver wheelers - some peaks just arent ready yet! :grayno:

That is insane! I can't believe he didn't get thrown out of the vehicle without his seatbelt on and get squished.

The crazy part is that the guys in the Jeep were telling him to wait but he ignored their logic. A tow rope or a winch could have easily fixed his screw up.

boardsurfer

The crazy part is that the guys in the Jeep were telling him to wait but he ignored their logic. A tow rope or a winch could have easily fixed his screw up.

Exactly. They warned him it was getting sketchy. I guess his ego just took over.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Holy crap.....this is why you never wheel alone. The guy should have listened to the jeepers.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Glad this guy is OK after the wild ride. Life is lessons. Hope his insurance covers the lump 250ft. below the road.

Galo

Well, I'm glad he is going to be ok.
As far as turning around, when alone, just because I need low range, this is just kinda silly - to me. I use low all the time and it usually has less to do with the terrain as it does slowing my rate of travel and avoiding unnecessary clutch work. That is one thing (of many things) I miss about my CJ, I could just yank into low for the extra gearing ( in 2x).
Sounds like the Jeep guys were alone also, (?) but as usual had a bit more common sense. I don't know. It has kinda been my experience, non - Jeep people solve their off road terrain challenges with brute force and throttle. I could be overgeneralizing too much. Apologies.
Pride? Maybe, yea. Was he thinking he was going to show the Jeep how to do it? I wonder. We've seen this before, I'm sure.
I'm curious, would he have done this if he had passengers with him?
Again, I'm glad he is ok.

God Bless.
J.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
A series of stupid decisions, ignoring multiple warnings, and general dumbassery, glad he walked away, and hopefully learned a lesson.

Top Bottom