Ophir Pass Colorado

Well a couple weeks ago we heard that they had opened up the mountain pass call Ophir Pass which lies between Silverton and Telluride. This was a wagon route developed in 1881 to run supplies between the two towns and the many mines in between. But what we heard when it opened was that the snow was really deep at the top.... so we had to find out what 'really deep snow' was being a desert rat in this parts.
DSC_0081.jpg
We started from the Telluride side, which is the way to go so you can go uphill on the shelf road.
This is a view of the Ophir valley heading up to the pass looking west at Wilson mountain (Coors can label) which is a 14'er.
DSC_0066.jpg
Great scenery and waterfalls along the way as a lot of the snow in melting quickly with the warm summer weather.
DSC_0088.jpg
DSC_0086.jpg
Made it up the one track shelf road... lucky it wasn't busy and didn't have to deal with stupid mall crawlers try to come down after I started up and one would have to back up or down the shelf road!
DSC_0105.jpg
Well we found the snow and YES it was DEEP!
DSC_0112.jpg
Made it to the high point pass at 11,789 feet!
DSC_0114.jpg
A look over the Silverton side at Red mountain area.
DSC_0130.jpg
An easy drive down the back side toward Silverton but with great views.
DSC_0152.jpg
After lunch in Silverton at 'Handlebars', we headed on to the next backroad... Owl Creek Pass This area is the back drop for John Wayne in 'True Grit' and 'How the west was won'
DSC_0163.jpg
Great wooded country and mountain views we found the SilverJack reservoir and then headed home.... until next weekend!

JeepJeep75

I love that area! It's almost impossible to put the camera away. You go around one corner and a whole new scenery unfolds before you. Truly a beautiful part or our country!

Jackal01

I have done Ophir before. Nothing crazy or technical but it is beautiful. Great pictures! :thumb: We even saw a house that was for sale and we wanted to buy it...except...there is no chance it will ever happen without winning the lottery. :grayno:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Having been over the pass in both directions I think you captured what makes it so beautiful, especially how deep the snow can be at the summit at the end of June. Great pics!:yup:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
We went last July and done Ophir but went the other way. We met two people on bicycles going up. It was a husband and wife, the wife looked like she was ready to push her husband over the side. LOL. Further down the shelf road we met a full size Ford truck and a rental jeep. They didn't stop and wait for us coming down before they started up. I got to a point and just stopped and waited. Made them go around on the shelf side. As they passed and gave me dirty looks I told them they should've waited for us to come down. I wasn't gonna drive over the side because of their stupidity.

Awesome pics by the way, makes me want to go back asap!

WJCO

Meme King
That's amazing. Beautiful pics. I'll have to check that place out one of these days.

uberc4

Sounds like an awesome adventure. Hopefully I will be able to run Ophir Pass next month! Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

TAAC

Awesome. I'll be doing the same trip this summer. Im always down south in buena vista. Just need to push that way more.

Top Bottom