First real welding project

Mtb275

My grandpa was a heck of a welder. I have never real done much welding. I ended up picking up a little 120v Lincoln.

My grandpa made a bracket for his jeep that allowed him to put the license plate in the middle of the spare.

I've always liked that look. I looked around on the web and couldn't find one that I liked. I wanted a third brake light and license plate light. So I decided I would partake in my first welding project.

The welds aren't the best looking, but they will hold and the grinder will clean them up some.

I'm liking how it is turning out.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467478888.891635.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467478902.313250.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467478914.753223.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467478926.442297.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467478953.784352.jpg

JeepJeep75

Yea, my grinder always follows my welding too. Tip of the week: DO NOT take the guard of your grinder to get it into a tight spot! Just leave that ugly weld alone!!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467558212.121172.jpg
It looked like a crime scene in my garage after this happened. Why do knuckles bleed so much? 🤕

Jeep Bro 08

Damn that looks bad . Yes never take ur gaurd off guys i work with welders on a pipeline and a lot of things can go wrong. Safety First

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467566591.283564.jpg

I had the exact same complaint but didn't have time to fab something so I took a plate light and epoxied a backup cam to the top of it. Works really well actually!

Mtb275

Thanks for the compliments. Pretty much finished up until u get my new tire carrier and then i will hook up the lights.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467578770.463118.jpg

Need a better license plate frame, because when driving my jeep, I'd rather be doing nothing else.

toxicwaste29

Also never take off the handles. I was using a wire wheel on a grinder. Had to take the handle off for one tight place and it caught and jerked back at me. I got a wire wheel full speed to my lip and chin

JeepJeep75

Also never take off the handles. I was using a wire wheel on a grinder. Had to take the handle off for one tight place and it caught and jerked back at me. I got a wire wheel full speed to my lip and chin

I can only imagine how that must have felt. I've had some pretty crazy mid-haps but damn, a wire wheel to the face! OUCH!!!

JeepJeep75

Thanks for the compliments. Pretty much finished up until u get my new tire carrier and then i will hook up the lights.

View attachment 210912

Need a better license plate frame, because when driving my jeep, I'd rather be doing nothing else.

Nice job on the plate mount. It's so satisfying to be able to make something like that. Even if it's harder than buying a pre-made something, it's way more rewarding in the end.

Pyro1415

Yea, my grinder always follows my welding too. Tip of the week: DO NOT take the guard of your grinder to get it into a tight spot! Just leave that ugly weld alone!!
View attachment 210806
It looked like a crime scene in my garage after this happened. Why do knuckles bleed so much? 🤕

You're lucky we had a special guy on deployment about cut his hand in half. Nice work.

Top Bottom