Seized rear rotors on my 2012 jk.

Nick Zambo

Has anyone had this problem removing their rear rotors. I hit them for awhile with a decent size hammer but they didn't budge a bit, even tried the propane torch and nothing. I would say typical rust on rotor for Alberta Canada jk. Just wondering is some has a trick or two they want to share.

benatc1

Hooked
maybe try backing down the adjustment on your ebrake shoes. sometimes you can get a lip of rust on the edge of the drum part of the rotor. otherwise heat and hammer should do the trick

TRLJNKY

The star washers were removed right? Im pretty sure mine had retaining washers. I could be wrong. Not trying to insult intelligence by any means just want to make sure it wasnt over looked.

Nick Zambo

maybe try backing down the adjustment on your ebrake shoes. sometimes you can get a lip of rust on the edge of the drum part of the rotor. otherwise heat and hammer should do the trick

Yeah I would have thought to do that if there was even a bit of movement but we are talking nothing.

cav♤fighter;730727 said:
The star washers were removed right? Im pretty sure mine had retaining washers. I could be wrong. Not trying to insult intelligence by any means just want to make sure it wasnt over looked.

That was the second thing I did after removing the tire's. If only the rotor came off as easy as those.

TennJK

Happened to me last spring. Pain in the ass. Ended up buying a new rotor because I couldn't get it to come out.

Nick Zambo

Is your ebrake on? :thinking:

No. It was off. Rotors spun freely. Just had someone send a video using a couple bolts washers and nuts. It shows them using the bolts through the caliber bolt holes. Then turning it with the nuts and washers being used to draw the bolt through the pushing the rotor off. I may give this a try in a couple weekends from now as I need the jeep for work and things.

Cadima

I use an air hammer around the face of the rotor, works every time for me. Basic air hammers are cheap and good to have anyway for things like tie rod ends.

WJCO

Meme King
I use an air hammer around the face of the rotor, works every time for me. Basic air hammers are cheap and good to have anyway for things like tie rod ends.

An air hammer? Where would you use it on the rotor? And where on tie rod ends? That's a new one for me, but I learn something new every day.

Cadima

An air hammer? Where would you use it on the rotor? And where on tie rod ends? That's a new one for me, but I learn something new every day.

If the rotor is stuck, I smack it around the studs where the wheel face meets up (not on the brake pad surfaces!). Better than huge whacks with a BFH imo.

For tie rod ends, I'll put a puller on it and while it has tension I will smack the side of the rod end and it usually pops out.

Nick Zambo

Believe it or not I was actually contemplating that every thing. But want to try another method first to see if it works. If it does work I will post up what I did here on this thread. If it doesn't then I am breaking out the air hammer.

Top Bottom