Anyone running Ruffstuff 1 ton tie rod??

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Looking to upgrade my tie rod. I know that Curry and Synergy are top notch. But I am curious about the Ruffstuff kit. I can buy the kit, weld it up, and have some cash to spare on other improvements. Any good or bad experiences?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I could be wrong, but aren't the Currie and even the synergy heat treated or something?
Is that ruff stuff solid or just a stick of Dom?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I could be wrong, but aren't the Currie and even the synergy heat treated or something?
Is that ruff stuff solid or just a stick of Dom?

I believe the Curry is heat treated

The Ruffstuff isn't heat treated, but I have a hard time seeing the DOM tubing not being strong enough. Should I reconsider?

olram30

I believe the Curry is heat treated

The Ruffstuff isn't heat treated, but I have a hard time seeing the DOM tubing not being strong enough. Should I reconsider?

Here is my understanding of death wobble, if something is wrong, (ball joint, lose track bar, etc) it's your tie rod and scrub angle that gives the tires the wobble effect. I could be wrong. I could be right, but I do know I wouldn't trust this on my jeep.

Attachments

• 1467522844523.jpg
    1467522844523.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 267

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Here is my understanding of death wobble, if something is wrong, (ball joint, lose track bar, etc) it's your tie rod and scrub angle that gives the tires the wobble effect. I could be wrong. I could be right, but I do know I wouldn't trust this on my jeep.

I appreciate the concern, but I wasn't worried about death wobble (I have some experience in that field)

I don't have any drivability issues to speak of. Are you implying that .25 wall Dom will be a downgrade to a stock Tie Rod?

olram30

I remember reading a thread where a guy "upgraded" to a rk tire rod, it broke at the threads, much like a teraflex track bar and the dude lost control of his Jeep doing 70 mph. Rk gave him a free shirt. Long story short, it's expensive to go cheap.

olram30

I appreciate the concern, but I wasn't worried about death wobble (I have some experience in that field)

I don't have any drivability issues to speak of. Are you implying that .25 wall Dom will be a downgrade to a stock Tie Rod?

Knock yourself out. I wouldn't put it on my jeep is all I'm saying. If you feel safe, have at it.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Wasn't trying to stir shit. I guess my actual question would be, how much stronger/ weaker would this be than stock?

303DAILY

I have been running it for a solid week lol but bought them on recommendation from a friend that had been running it for about three years. He changed the off set ball joints once in that time.

Rottenbelly

Almost 4 years running one on my old rig. Most of it with hydro assist.
Plenty strong and haven't had to change tie rod ends yet.
Hard to beat for the price.
Mine does have a slight bend but it has taken some abuse.

Fires JK

I thought about the Synergy at one point but decided to go with the aluminum Tie rod from rpmfab.com in Tempe AZ. The tube is made from Aircraft grade aluminum and has a lifetime warranty. The ends are 1 ton and not a lifetime warranty as with any other tie rod end. The tube will flex and snap back into place. The cost was about $40 more than the steel synergy one.

KingCopperhead

Bent my Ruff Stuff tie rod last time I was at Rausch Creek. Took a really nasty hit on Cemetery. Just a slight bend though, as in barely noticeable if you're not looking for it. The tie rod ends are pure beef though.

*edit* wanted to add: don't buy this thinking that you're not gonna ever bend it. Is it stronger than factory? I'd say so. If you feel like you absolutely have to replace your factory tie rod and dont want to spend upwards of 500 dollars, then I'd give it a glowing recommendation.

Last edited:

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I've been running it on my CJ7. No issues and seems very heavy duty. Definitely way stronger than stock. I have the Currie on my JK and it seems a little stronger than the RuffStuff.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Bent my Ruff Stuff tie rod last time I was at Rausch Creek. Took a really nasty hit on Cemetery. Just a slight bend though, as in barely noticeable if you're not looking for it. The tie rod ends are pure beef though.

*edit* wanted to add: don't buy this thinking that you're not gonna ever bend it. Is it stronger than factory? I'd say so. If you feel like you absolutely have to replace your factory tie rod and dont want to spend upwards of 500 dollars, then I'd give it a glowing recommendation.

Thanks a lot. I am thinking that I will go this rout. I'm not looking for an unbendable tie Rod, but would like the added strength. And I can't beat the price.

Top Bottom