Diff cover gasket question????

acamp75

First of all, HAPPY 4th to everyone!!!!!

OK, the question is........ I just had my gears done and the 500 mile gear oil change done. Went to Wheeler Lake yesterday with Slimebones and now my rear diff is leaking. The shop only used RTV to seal the cover to the housing. I installed ARB cast covers to replace the stock stamped covers. The silicone on the bottom of the diff is hanging done and the leak is AWESOME!!!!!!!! So the question is, who uses gaskets?? I know that the SOP for this is to use RTV, but if the cover is torqued correctly, 23.5 ft-lbs, and the silicon gap between the cover and housing is too small to accommodate enough silicone to actually seal the diff, would it be better to cut a gasket and install it??

I'm really bummed that I have to waste the brand new oil that has only been in for 48hours, but oh well.

Please let me know what you think....

Thanks, Adam

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Did you smack the diff? It's pretty common for a small leak after hitting the diff regardless of gasket or silicone. Not a dripping leak or anything just kind of gets the diff wet and dirt will stick to it. It's also possible they didn't remove all the old silicone prior to reinstalling. I just use silicone and no gasket. I'd just pull it and reseal.

acamp75

Oh yeah, I smacked it a couple times, and there was a puddle in the garage this morning. I think I will pull both of them apart and reseal them. What limited slip additive does everyone use for the the rear axle of their Rubicon's? I have read many things, but not sure...

Thanks for the input

Adam

Exodus 4x4

Catch the oil and strain it if it's that new. I've pulled my diff covers off way more than I ever thought I would have and I've never had to use a gasket, always black rtv.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Lubelockers are so worth it IMO. I was able to service both my differentials in the middle of nowhere walmart parking lot with nothing more than a torque wrench, bucket, and fluid and brake cleaner because of them.

Dozer

Make sure that you read the label on the RTV tube ! ! !
Most will tell you to install cover bolts finger tight and then wait about an hour then torque them down then you have to wait 24 hours to add your oil.
LUBLOCKER is the way to go.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Oh yeah, I smacked it a couple times, and there was a puddle in the garage this morning. I think I will pull both of them apart and reseal them. What limited slip additive does everyone use for the the rear axle of their Rubicon's? I have read many things, but not sure...

Thanks for the input

Adam

No friction modifier is needed. Run straight gear oil or full synthetic if you wish. Friction modifier won't hurt anything but is not a requirement as there are no clutch packs in your diff. As stated above you can let the rtv set up a little before you toque it down. I typically put the bead on the cover and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes before I install the cover. I also cut off some all thread that I thread into the diff on each side prior to installing the cover. They act as a guide so the cover goes on straight and isn't sliding around while I'm installing bolts. Just a tip.

Exodus 4x4

^^^This. At first I was using synthetic but honestly, I don't think it's worth the premium. I'd just put regular gear oil in it.

Slimebones

I also like the Lubelocker gasket. Beauty is, it is reusable and no scraping and messy cleanup necessary. A little pricey but in my opinion pays for itself since it is reusable.

jk12blk

Lubelocker. Have pulled my diff cover off about four times and still no leaks
Agree - lubelocker. Used RTV in the past too. Both work well. I'm using lubelocker for my new Fusion4x4 axles where I'll be running Gearworks 10" 3rds. Gearworks recommends and sells lubelocker which says a lot.

acamp75

Thank you all for the input. Because it is Sunday, and we all know how many shops are open, and because there are no auto supply stores that even carry gaskets for the Dana 44 I chose to go "old school" and make my own gasket. I just grabbed some gasket material from O'Reilly's, 1/32", and cut out new gaskets for the cover. Oh yeah, and I did say GASKETS, as both front and rear were leaking. I put Black RTV on both the housing as well as the cover, slapped the gasket to the cover and tightened it down. I let it stand for an hour or so then refilled. Took it for a drive and no leaks. Now the only reason I put a gasket in is because I am not impressed with the RTV alone and feel that the issue was mainly caused by the lack of patience when going together with the axles. I can't blame the shop as they installed the gears for a lot less than anywhere else. Also since I was in there anyway, I rechecked the the wear and backlash, all seems good. I will change the oil prior to the labor warranty running out and rechecking at that point as well. So far I am really happy with the installation and choice of gears. When I change the oil again, I will be using the LubeLockers, but until then a little "old school" should do the trick!!!!

Thanks again for all the input!!!

Adam

Top Bottom