Italian Jeepers

JK_Willys15

So I'm new to this forum and still learning how to navigate it. So I apologize if I'm not posting in the right section. Anyways I'm still waiting on my JK to be imported from the US. Won't get it until the beginning of September. So I've got some time. Looking for anyone in or around Vicenza to wheel with...legally lol. Or join a local Jeep club. I do plan on traveling a lot when I can. It'll be expensive but worth every penny! Thanks in advance. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467643244.962101.jpg

mds22

I'll be back home in Oct. (Padova, 15mins away from you)
Getting my jeep shipped this time. Going to remove a lot to pass inspection then put most back on.
Regardless I'd love to wheel with you when I get there. I know some Land Rover guys who go out in the mountains near Bormio, but sure we can find a place closer.

JK_Willys15

@mdss22 you stationed here? I didn't have to remove anything when I shipped it. Hopefully I won't have to take anything off when I get it here. I'm not sure how strict they are with certain aftermarket parts.

It'll be fun. I'm just looking to get my jeep out anywhere I can. I'm down for getting together with anyone who enjoys wheeling.

pinkcamotexan

Welcome from Texas. Love Italy! I was stationed at NAS Sigonella from 1997 to 2000. The best duty station ever!!!!! I took a 30 day Harley ride thru Europe. We went thru the Italian Alps, Swiss Alps during the summer and was amazed at all the snow! Would love to do that in my Jeep!! Look forward to lots of awesome pics when you get your Jeep!!

JK_Willys15

@pinkcamotexan I'm looking forward to getting my Texas made jeep out (if the license plate doesn't give it away) . I was stationed at fort hood for 5. Now I'm doing 3 in Italy. I'm so stoked to get out even if I don't hit the trails. The scenery will be enough for me. Gas will be expensive. It's 1.64 per liter. And since mine is a two door it's 15gallons. Doing the math it's about 94 euros to fill up [emoji15]. So 100+ bucks. Regardless I plan on taking a lot of pics. will eventually start a thread about my travels in my jeep once I get it here. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467651299.057060.jpg

Last edited:

pinkcamotexan

@pinkcamotexan I'm looking for to getting my Texas made jeep out (if the license plate doesn't give it away) . I was stationed at fort hood for 5. Now I'm doing 3 in Italy. I'm so stoked to get out even if I don't hit the trails. The scenery will be enough for me. Gas will be expensive. It's 1.64 per liter. And since mine is a two door it's 15gallons. Doing the math it's about 94 euros to fill up [emoji15]. So 100+ bucks. Regardless I plan on taking a lot of pics. will eventually start a thread about my travels in my jeep once I get it here. View attachment 211063

I hear ya on the gas! When I was there we were able to buy gas coupons on base. If I remember correctly it was like $40 for 100 liters. Those gas coupons were gold in town! I got a used engine for my car for 2 coupon books!!!

I will be on the look out for your travel thread and will subscribe! Miss Italy on a daily basis!!

Seriously though, consider doing the Alps to France, euro tunnel to England, ferry to Ireland for one hell of a lot! We camped it most of the way and the trip was really cheap that way.

JK_Willys15

They still do gas coupons here. But apparently some gas stations don't accept them anymore since they end up losing money. Which sucks. I was told there's only a couple around town that still do. Good thing is with the base being so small everything is within walking distance (px, commissary, gym etc)

With the thread I'll probably make it a mini blog. Will post pics here and on Instagram. Will also use it as my build thread. Believe it or not only a quarter of the way done until I get her where I want her to be.

My dad plans on coming to visit next summer so I'll have a year to plan and save money. We plan on going to so many places. Really want to take my jeep to Omaha beach in France. Just for bragging rights lol. But overall just get out and explore.

pinkcamotexan

Well that sucks about the gas coupons!!!

I hear ya on the mod process. Mine is only a month old, so I have just started!!

It's definitely cool to have bragging rights!!! For me, not many people can say they have done a 30 day Harley ride thru Europe and camped most of the way! One of the most amazing experiences ever!!

JK_Willys15

@Honor2afault. Thank you.

Im glad I picked Italy. I had Germany and Hawaii. But 1. I don't want to be stuck on an island for 3 years and 2. Most people pick Germany and Italy is hard to come by. So by default picked Italy.

I've had my jeep since December of 2014. Didn't do much to it because I was leaving for Korea. I just got back in February. So I had 8 months to plan out the mods I wanted to do. So I did a lot of research and read reviews. That's all the advice I can give you. Research, research, research. Will save you thousands in the end if you plan on doing so much.

pinkcamotexan

@Honor2afault. Thank you.

Im glad I picked Italy. I had Germany and Hawaii. But 1. I don't want to be stuck on an island for 3 years and 2. Most people pick Germany and Italy is hard to come by. So by default picked Italy.

I've had my jeep since December of 2014. Didn't do much to it because I was leaving for Korea. I just got back in February. So I had 8 months to plan out the mods I wanted to do. So I did a lot of research and read reviews. That's all the advice I can give you. Research, research, research. Will save you thousands in the end if you plan on doing so much.

My daughter was born in Germany. Beautiful place too!!

I definitely have started my wish list, it grows by the minute!! Definitely gonna take it slow and do lots of research!!

mds22

@mdss22 you stationed here? I didn't have to remove anything when I shipped it. Hopefully I won't have to take anything off when I get it here. I'm not sure how strict they are with certain aftermarket parts.

It'll be fun. I'm just looking to get my jeep out anywhere I can. I'm down for getting together with anyone who enjoys wheeling.

No I'm not military, my wife is from there and we have a 2nd home there. There are VERY strict with mods. Especially fender flares and bumpers. Your jeep in the pics is very far from street legal over there.

JK_Willys15

My daughter was born in Germany. Beautiful place too!!

I definitely have started my wish list, it grows by the minute!! Definitely gonna take it slow and do lots of research!!

I finally figured out how to quote someone ha. Anyways that's cool! Yeah learn from my Expensive mistake when I first got it I wanted everything then I realized I should have done my research and sold some stuff but sadly you never get money back you put into it. Which is ok. Lesson learned.

JK_Willys15

No I'm not military, my wife is from there and we have a 2nd home there. There are VERY strict with mods. Especially fender flares and bumpers. Your jeep in the pics is very far from street legal over there.

Ah lucky. I've been trying to look up vehicle inspection laws here in Italy. But I can't find anything on aftermarket parts. What will pass and not pass to make it road legal. I would have assumed when I took it to the port they would have knowledge on that and told me I wouldn't be able to pass inspection of it came to it. But nope it's getting shipped (thankfully not on my dime) so I honestly don't know what I'll do since I'll be here for three years and if it can't pass inspection then I can't drive it. If I can't drive it it will be stuck in port here in Italy for 3 years. Which will suck!

Top Bottom