Spare Tire Carrier

The BAD Influence

Over the weekend we drove about 30 miles on rough washboard roads. Could hear the tailgate door rattling. Upon returning home, I could see where the bottom left corner of the door, just below the latch has been rubbing. We're running 33s. They're not much taller than stock but 13.5 wide. The Jeep dealer told me there's not adjustments to be made, its being caused because the spare is too heavy. The dealer recommended the Teraflex spare tire mounting system, and wants $900 to purchase and install. Any feedback on this or recommended other brands to carry the spare. Or is it all just bandaids and I should get a new bumper with tire carrier?

WJCO

Meme King
Over the weekend we drove about 30 miles on rough washboard roads. Could hear the tailgate door rattling. Upon returning home, I could see where the bottom left corner of the door, just below the latch has been rubbing. We're running 33s. They're not much taller than stock but 13.5 wide. The Jeep dealer told me there's not adjustments to be made, its being caused because the spare is too heavy. The dealer recommended the Teraflex spare tire mounting system, and wants $900 to purchase and install. Any feedback on this or recommended other brands to carry the spare. Or is it all just bandaids and I should get a new bumper with tire carrier?

Is this post for real?

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4740-TeraFlex-Hinged-Tire-Carrier-Break

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...ead-horse-but-NEW-Teraflex-Tire-Carrier-BREAK

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?37869-Teraflex-Bad-rep-for-a-reason-or-isolated-cases

The BAD Influence

Read this before continuing to think about a TF carrier.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4740-TeraFlex-Hinged-Tire-Carrier-Break

Other options include and are less expensive:
Crawler Conceptz -$600
Maximus 3 - $750
Another stock carrier with a properly isolated 33" tire - possibly free.

I'm in Utah and have been drawn in with the buy local mentality, and the Teraflex videos. But since joining this site, I have definitely learned alot. That Maximus 3 looks like a great option for me right now. I really appreciate all the knowledge and feedback of the people on this site.

chipper

There is a thread on here that Eddie started about the stock carrier being junk, BUT he was just joking. I can't seem to find it. But it's that thread that made me still keep my stock tire carrier with a 35" on it with no problems. Not sure why your tailgate has problems

woof359

double checking

Im running a BFG AT that about 95 pounds, no bumpers, havnt seen any problems yet, but guess Ill check from time to time, not sure if a 295 is big enough to cause a problem

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

If it's rubbing on the bottom left corner adjust the black triangular striker up a bit higher until it clears. The weight of the tailgate should be supported by the striker on the left and the hinges on the right

The BAD Influence

If it's rubbing on the bottom left corner adjust the black triangular striker up a bit higher until it clears. The weight of the tailgate should be supported by the striker on the left and the hinges on the right

Upon inspection of the striker, you can tell its not positioned correctly. Also, the bolts were not very tight. I straightened it up and tightened it. Hopefully this will do the trick. Thanks for the information.
IMG_20160707_100727877.jpg

Devallee

I had 35s on my stock carrier for about 2 years and never really had an issue until I recently started to hear some rattling. I did some inspecting and saw the holes where the pin goes through the hinge on the tub starting to wallow out so I had to take it off. I think the stock carrier and tailgate will hold up for quite a while unless you're like me and enjoy speed :) SPEED KILLS JEEPS. Keep the speed down and things will last much longer. Here's where the issue was on both the top and bottom hinge
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467933764.834248.jpg

Top Bottom