So this kinda scares me

BeniaminV

So my jeep only has 635 miles on it and my check engine light came on. At first I thought "maybe I forgot to close the gas cap all the way?" Check and it's closed all the way. Hopefully it isn't something major. It drives great and sounds healthy. But kinda makes me nervous. Taking it to the dealer Sunday to have them check it since it is under warranty.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467856413.513175.jpg

New vehicles have tons of sensors in them. I'd go to an auto parts store that will run codes for free and have it checked. If it seems odd, have them clear the code. Chances are it's just a sensor that had a brain fart and the light won't come back on. If it comes back on take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

P0300 multiple cylinder misfire. Yea that makes me even more worried.

Yes then I would take it to the dealer. 3.6's have known head problems and as a result they have something like a 200,000 mile warranty. Usually a misfire code is a sign of a head issue. Don't erase the code, the dealer won't do anything if the Jeep isn't pulling any codes.

thardy

Banned
New vehicles have tons of sensors in them. I'd go to an auto parts store that will run codes for free and have it checked. If it seems odd, have them clear the code. Chances are it's just a sensor that had a brain fart and the light won't come back on. If it comes back on take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

FYI- a JK will tell you the code without needing to get it scanned.

P0300 multiple cylinder misfire. Yea that makes me even more worried.

I would contact your dealer first thing in the morning. Don't know that they'll do anything other than clear the code, but at least it starts the documentation process.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Yes then I would take it to the dealer. 3.6's have known head problems and as a result they have something like a 200,000 mile warranty. Usually a misfire code is a sign of a head issue. Don't erase the code, the dealer won't do anything if the Jeep isn't pulling any codes.

200,000 warranty? Since when is a misfire a head issue? P0300 is usually a computer issue. More times than not it usually zeros in on one cylinder like P0301 and more times than not the result is a bad coil.

200,000 warranty? Since when is a misfire a head issue? P0300 is usually a computer issue. More times than not it usually zeros in on one cylinder like P0301 and more times than not the result is a bad coil.

Oh. I thought that any misfire code on a 3.6 was bad news. I had the cylinder 6 misfire code on mine when they replaced the head. Do the new ones have head problems too or is it only the first 3.6's? Mines a 2012. The dealer told me they were putting a 200,000 mile warranty for the heads.

FYI- a JK will tell you the code without needing to get it scanned.

I would contact your dealer first thing in the morning. Don't know that they'll do anything other than clear the code, but at least it starts the documentation process.

Will the newer ones give you the code? I couldn't get mine to do it. I know for a fact that the 2007-2010's did. Maybe I did something wrong.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Oh. I thought that any misfire code on a 3.6 was bad news. I had the cylinder 6 misfire code on mine when they replaced the head. Do the new ones have head problems too or is it only the first 3.6's? Mines a 2012. The dealer told me they were putting a 200,000 mile warranty for the heads.

I believe that has been resoved, but why did they replace your head?

WJCO

Meme King
A 300 could be as simple as bad gas. If the light's not flashing (and it's solid), it's not as much of a concern. Just get it in as soon as you can but don't freak out about driving it unless you notice any other symptoms.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The head issue and extended warranty is only a 2012/early 2013 issue. It effected all pentastar engines in that time frame across all models. It's no longer a "Known issue" on 16s

BeniaminV

Thank you all very much.
Someone mentions bad gas. I only use Shell, BP, or Mobile. So bad gas can't really be the issue. Unless bad batch of gas. But in the end I figured out what caused that specific code to pop up.
When I was turning the key to do the test I turned it a little to far to the point of turning in the engine and then turned it off. So the engine started turning over but turned it off immediately before the engine could start throwing the P0300 code. As for the CEL being on right now. And before that. I don't know. After doing the test 3 times I'm not getting any codes popping up. So I'll be calling my dealer today to set up an appointment to go in Saturday morning for them to check it out and see what is causing it and having them delete it. My salesman thinks it might be a faulty sensor or a sensor misread something throwing the CEL.

sandfrog

There is a flash for 15/16 MY's that addresses a misfire. NEVER simply clear the code while under warranty. Even if it goes to a stored status you want the dealer to be able to pull a scan report using WITEC. It will show the stored data. This kind of info is crucial for proper diagnosis.

Top Bottom