Does this look right?

JKbrick

After experiencing death wobble last Saturday I wanted to get my tires balanced just to double check everything. The tires had stick on lead weights when I got the Brick, so I left them on and cleaned the insides of the wheels up and dropped them off at Discount Tire this morning. This is what I got back
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467856313.582723.jpg
Where two old weights were
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467856350.619288.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467856363.649413.jpg
All the new weights.

Other wheel
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467856402.942739.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467856417.887293.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467856432.204525.jpg

And they sanded the back of the wheel where it mounts to the hub with a sander, how the F do I know that is a flat surface now? This honestly ruined my day and I didn't see all this till I got home so now another trip back tomorrow, I'm very disappointed in all this. Something else really odd, the guy showed me the two tires I took were made in 07 and 08 and my Jeep is an 09 with the original tires, 13,200 miles. I hate when something so simple turns into such a cluster. I'm assuming $12 each tire for a spin balance that I carry in is reasonable

whytiptoe

Any time I have taken my jeep and wife's car there, they use a wire brush on a drill to knock off and debris, but not a sander.

thardy

Banned
Yeah I doubt they used a sander. Also, may be it's just me, but that seems like a shit ton of weights.

JKbrick

Yeah I doubt they used a sander. Also, may be it's just me, but that seems like a shit ton of weights.

The stick on ones and the hammer on ones are opposite each other which seems they would all cancel each other out

Jk_nate

Oh hell no! Sucks when a good company has crappy employees. I'm sure if you bring this back a manager would put the weights on the back side for you.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Odd that the balance would change that much. You might have cord separation and need new tires? Did they mention anything about the amount of correction in a negative way? I wouldn't worry about the sanded surfaces. I would mark all those weights with a paint stick especially the double stacked stick on's for future reference:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467859570.782622.jpg

JeepJeep75

This is why it looked sanded to me
View attachment 211530

It looks like they might have just hit it lightly to get any crud off the flange surface. It would take a lot of sanding to get the mounting surface of the wheel out-of-square. And that looks like they went a bit heavy on the weights. Maybe you can suggest that they pop the bead loose, spin the tire halfway around on the rim and try again.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
The stick on ones and the hammer on ones are opposite each other which seems they would all cancel each other out

Dynamic balance uses 2 planes. Often the balance is different between the planes (opposite sides). All looks normal except for the amount of weight. Seems excessive and a ton different than before.

JKbrick

Dynamic balance uses 2 planes. Often the balance is different between the planes (opposite sides). All looks normal except for the amount of weight. Seems excessive and a ton different than before.

He did use the term dynamic, I'm just shocked how much weight was added. They did not try to sell me any tires he only mentioned how old they are. I actually told him these are not my forever wheels and if would balance better to bang weights on the outside as long as they were new weights, I've had them use used ones before on the inside.

JKbrick

It looks like they might have just hit it lightly to get any crud off the flange surface. It would take a lot of sanding to get the mounting surface of the wheel out-of-square. And that looks like they went a bit heavy on the weights. Maybe you can suggest that they pop the bead loose, spin the tire halfway around on the rim and try again.

I thought about moving the tire on the rim, aren't they marked with a dot somehow?

A.J.

Static balance basically gets the up and down hop. Dynamic will try to compensate for side to side or walk of the tire. I agree the weight seems excessive. Spinning the tire 180 on the rim is a good thing to try. Also how they are coned up on the balancer is very important also. Those particular wheels should be coned from the back side as they are hub centric. They are sometimes difficult to cone up properly because of the small center cap opening being so close.

Sgt_USMC

I was having a problem with a shimmy at freeway speeds and the dealership would send me to have the tires rebalanced. They were putting HUGE amounts of weight on them, like yours. I decided to run them on a balancer myself and saw that they were out of round. That is too much weight. I do believe something is wrong with your tire(s).

Discount Tire

Thank you for reaching out to us with your concerns, JKbrick. We apologize for your frustration; I'd be happy to help.

The first assembly you pictured looks to have excessive weights. like a few other members noted, it looks like that tire should have been 180d on the wheel and re-balanced. I'm not sure if this did or did not happen, so you may want to reach out to the store manager about that. How does the vehicle drive? The second assembly looks fine to me. On a side note, from your images it appears some the original wheel weights were possibly thrown off when the vehicle was in use. You wouldn't space out the weights like pictured in the first image.

As for the mounting pad surface, they were not sanded. However it appears they were buffed using a wire wheel brush. This is something we do to rid the mounting surface of debris, rust and/or corrosion. When the hub surface is buffed as well, it becomes a preventative measure against joint settling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom