Adjusting EVO Bolt On Coilovers

Zadi

Hey All,
I have a couple questions about adjusting these coilovers. First, what is the maximum amount of preload that can be added before having to switch the the hd springs? I have dialed in about 3" on the passenger side and 2.5" on the driver side. Also, with all this preload there is no way to get the secondary rings down as close as suggested (.5") from the spring spacer, is this a problem? I need to bring the front up a bit more. Currently, it's riding great. I don't want to sacrifice the ride quality but will if I need to.

Hammmerhead

Im at 3" on the drivers side and 3 3/8" on the passenger side. Im also running a 300lb lower coil. Im probably past where it should be and looking forward to going back down some with shorter and/or more narrow tire. My front rings aren't where they should be on the front either, but my JK has a pretty easy lifestyle compared to the crew around here.

Zadi

I'm running the original set-up with 250/250 up front. I have zero preload on the rear but it's still sitting higher that the front. I'm running 37s on mine. Just want the thing level. Did your come with the 300lb lower coil or did you add those? EVO says to switch to a hd spring of you need 3" or more of preload.

Hammmerhead

I'm running the original set-up with 250/250 up front. I have zero preload on the rear but it's still sitting higher that the front. I'm running 37s on mine. Just want the thing level. Did your come with the 300lb lower coil or did you add those? EVO says to switch to a hd spring of you need 3" or more of preload.

Many folks think the front Kings with the EVO kit should come with stiffer lower springs. I had to add the 300's to the front just to get mine a tad higher in the front, but Im clearing 40's very well now. Im not a fan of having the raked stance either. What coils do you have in the rear? Check your rear coil rates as they may be wrong. I believe I have 200/200 in the rear and they are about 1/2" driver and 3/4" passenger on the preload.

Im running about 28 psi with the tires and its just a little too stiff for a DD, but tolerable.

Post a pic of your Jeeps stance

JKRicky

Hey All,
I have a couple questions about adjusting these coilovers. First, what is the maximum amount of preload that can be added before having to switch the the hd springs? I have dialed in about 3" on the passenger side and 2.5" on the driver side. Also, with all this preload there is no way to get the secondary rings down as close as suggested (.5") from the spring spacer, is this a problem? I need to bring the front up a bit more. Currently, it's riding great. I don't want to sacrifice the ride quality but will if I need to.

3" of preload sounds really high. What lift height are you trying to achieve?? How heavy is your Jeep?

Zadi

I didn't think mine was that front heavy. Poison spyder bumper with stinger and winch. I had 4" springs up front and 3.5" springs in the rear to get it level. I measured out the ride height before installing the coilovers and I'm trying to get back to that original height and get it level.

Zadi

Just spoke with EVO mfg. they recommended switching out the front lowers to the hd springs. This will also make it possible to bring the secondary ring to the appropriate height over the spring spacer. He stated that if the secondary ring is too high up you will not be actuating the secondary spring. My current setup that came straight from EVO is 250/250 up front and 200/250 rear.

vjusmc

It seems like the lower 250 lbs spring is a common problem. Why doesn't the kit just come standard with the 300 lbs spring.

Zadi

I agree. After reading other posts, seems that it's been a consistent issue with all four doors. They should include 300lb lower springs up front. I asked about the weight/rate of the hd spring. He said they don't give out that info?! He also said it would have very little to no change in ride quality.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It seems like the lower 250 lbs spring is a common problem. Why doesn't the kit just come standard with the 300 lbs spring.

Cause people with 2 doors like me run there as well lol

The kit is built around (IMO) a more stock based or lightly built jku. When you have such heavy rigs or carry lots of gear than it will obviously change how the springs will handle the load. Almost how like some people will install rear spacers on top of their coil lift to compensate for sag and weight. The coilovers just seem to need different springs depending upon application. Just need to adjust spring rates depending upon your rig

Hammmerhead

I agree. After reading other posts, seems that it's been a consistent issue with all four doors. They should include 300lb lower springs up front. I asked about the weight/rate of the hd spring. He said they don't give out that info?! He also said it would have very little to no change in ride quality.

I have the EVO pro front bumper with winch as far as weight goes. I would just tell them to send you 300lb lowers so you can get close to an inch from the spring swap. Then maybe you can back them off some and still have it level.

It almost sounds like EVO was thinking you were talking the rear coils?

Last edited:

Zadi

I went with their recommendation and ordered the hd front springs. I believe they are the 300lb lower front springs. I also want to make sure I get those rings down where they are supposed to be. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Last edited:

utiadam

LOSER
Nice rig! Hows the ride with that spring combo? Did you come to this combo by trial and error? There are so many possibilities, it could cost a fortune figuring out what works.

Thanks man. Another forum member on here helped come up with that spring combo. The ride is much better in my opinion. It depends a lot on vehicle weight - front bumper/winch, rear bumper/tire carrier, etc. I weighed my jeep at 5660 and stock is around 4500. There's a pretty detailed thread with pictures of everything I'll try to find.

Blackjk58

Hey yall did someone know why my rear driver coil over spring is rubbing the blue collar of the shock. I have recently installed all the kit and after I did trail I notice that! only on this one ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467945459.959139.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467945474.334284.jpg

utiadam

LOSER
The thread is called "are you happy with your evo bolt on coilover springs" you'll find a lot of info there

Top Bottom