CB Radio Recommendations

Tincup

I am looking at getting a CB radio on my JKUR but I am stuck on either a Cobra 75 WX ST or a Cobra 29 LX but I am having a hard time trying to figure out which way to go (also open to other brands like Uniden). I have the room above my mirror to mount the CB box if I go that way.

I plan to get the Firestik II antenna 4' for tire carrier mounting and using RG8X coax cable. (unless someone recommends something different)

Curious of peoples experience and feed back on which they recommend and why.

Last edited:

JeepJeep75

I went with the Uniden 980SSB above my mirror. No complaints at all. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468176151.484603.jpg
Make sure the antenna is very well grounded to the main body, not just the tailgate. I ran a ground wire from antenna base to a body ground on the tub. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468176340.581741.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468176376.979068.jpg
No problems at all yet.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Cobra 75s are the worst. Sure theyre small but they are terrible radios. There are better options that arent huge from Cobra, Uniden, and others

Cobra 75s are the worst. Sure theyre small but they are terrible radios. There are better options that arent huge from Cobra, Uniden, and others

Lol. To each their own I guess. I've been using mine a lot with no issues and can communicate perfect on the trails and jeep a vans, which is all I need it for at least.

Drdiesel1

Ordered the Cobra 75WXST yesterday along with the Firestick II 3 ft and RG8X coax cable.
3 other Jeep owners are using this unit and have good things to say about it for trail and
caravan use. That's my main purpose. YMMV!

Ordered the Cobra 75WXST yesterday along with the Firestick II 3 ft and RG8X coax cable.
3 other Jeep owners are using this unit and have good things to say about it for trail and
caravan use. That's my main purpose. YMMV!

Congrats! Just make sure you tune that sucker frame mount the stick for best reception. You won't be disappointed!

My FSII is the adjustable unit and I ordered a meter too. Thanks for the tips :rock:
Any help for a mounting bracket would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Nice. I used a hood mount and get really good reception there. Rear corner panel is a good spot too. Just try to avoid placing between the tailgate and spare as the reception will be the least there.

rogerk93

I have the cobra 29 and I love it. It's a big CB have it mounted on my dash looks nice and out of the way.

CarolinaJK

The Cobra 75 is definitely a great radio. My Cobra 29 did get slightly more range, but it also takes up twice the room.

SteveC6R

I use a Midland 75-822 handheld. I can put it away when not in use and can also use an external antenna if needed. Your not going to talk to people in the next county but I don't have the need to either, works just fine in a group trail ride setting.

Top Bottom