Tire carrier and bumpers

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
So here's my question, and hopefully it's not a dumb one:

I'm looking at the poison spyder body mounted tire carrier. Anyone have experience with coming down off a ledge and onto the carrier or at least hitting it? I'm slightly worried about that (I know it's high enough that it's rare) and damaging the body/entire rear tub.

Also looking into front bumpers and have a couple in mind:
-wilco Offroad w/ stinger
-poison spyder brawler light w/ either stinger or winch guard.

Looking for suggestions and opinions on either bumper and/or stinger vs winch guard.

Thanks guys!

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I called poison Spyder and asked them that same question and there answer was well you can damage anything while your off road so yeah I guess you could damage it if you hit it. So I was just like oh ok ahaha maybe I'll look at the Genright carrier [emoji23]. But then decided to just make my own.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Mel@Offroad Evolution posted a photo from EJS 2015 where a JK with the Poison Spyder body mounted tire carrier on a trailer sustained some damage to the body, if IIRC from loading or unloading on a trailer. I would imagine it'd be possible to get in the same situation on the trails. Wether or not it'd be possible would depend on the type of terrain you wheel in, and how mild or hardcore those trails are. Going up/down steep ledges and waterfalls, I would venture to say it is possible. Quality corner armor (ie 3/16" thick, not the thin 1/8 stuff) would certainly help prevent it, and spread any load transferred to the body along the span of the corner armor.

Last edited:

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I like the poison spyder because it is set up for rotopacks and a hilift already. I was originally looking at Evo's but I can't see spending 1k plus the skins and shipping and still having to fab on it. I like the rotopacks sitting next to the tire so the idea with the Evo carrier would be to make the rotopax mount come off the top rail on the carrier and have the cans actually above the carrier.

Top Bottom