Lower Control Arm Question

I'm looking at multiple adjustable control arms for my JKU.

Why does EVO or Synergy control arms have a pinch Bolt and others like Currie or JKS have a jam nut. Is it simply so you can adjust the caster while mounted to the Jeep with EVO or Synergy arms. Or can you do this with the Currie or any other manufacture with a jam nut. Any benefit of one over the other?

Seems like a stupid question, but I've never installed or adjusted aftermarket control arms.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have zero experience with anything but factory arms. I would purchase the EVO ones or believe the Currie ones (I could be wrong on them though) but I would definitely look for ones you can adjust while on the vehicle like the EVO ones.

TennJK

The pinch bolt is called a Johnny joint and its a lot more strong and more reliable compared to the jam nut

Coop

Caught the Bug
The pinch bolt is called a Johnny joint and its a lot more strong and more reliable compared to the jam nut
No, the Johnny joint is the type of bearing at each end of the control arm. EVO uses true Johnny joints. One end the Johnny joint has a threaded shank that fits into the end of the EVO arm. This has an adjuster nut that allows you to adjust length (caster) while the arm is bolted in place. The pinch bolt secures the adjustment in place. If you want adjustable lower control arms that can be adjusted without removing the control arms, EVO is the way to go.

TennJK

No, the Johnny joint is the type of bearing at each end of the control arm. EVO uses true Johnny joints. One end the Johnny joint has a threaded shank that fits into the end of the EVO arm. This has an adjuster nut that allows you to adjust length (caster) while the arm is bolted in place. The pinch bolt secures the adjustment in place. If you want adjustable lower control arms that can be adjusted without removing the control arms, EVO is the way to go.

I stand corrected[emoji106]🏼

Jackal01

Having run Currie before my Evo ones I regret the curries. They were more expensive and not adjustable while installed. Evo is the way to go.

rogerk93

I have the Currie arms all around and I do love them not being able to adjust them while they are still connected isn't a big deal in my opinion

rinkishjk

I have the Currie arms all around and I do love them not being able to adjust them while they are still connected isn't a big deal in my opinion

I'll second Currie arms. I had terrorflex arms before, and the curries have given me no issues except some noise when they need grease. Not an issue. Unlike all the bushing issues I had before.

How often do you guys find yourself adjusting your caster? Seems like once the adjustment is set it will stay unless the jam nut or whatever loosens itself.

For the guys that have EVO or Synergy arms do you find it tough to adjust while mounted rather that dropping a joint out and adjusting the control arm. I didn't know the level of PITA when adjusting either design.

Exodus 4x4

How often do you guys find yourself adjusting your caster? Seems like once the adjustment is set it will stay unless the jam nut or whatever loosens itself.

For the guys that have EVO or Synergy arms do you find it tough to adjust while mounted rather that dropping a joint out and adjusting the control arm. I didn't know the level of PITA when adjusting either design.

I haven't adjusted my EVO lca's since I installed them. Easier to adjust when mounted IMO

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

I haven't adjusted my EVO lca's since I installed them. Easier to adjust when mounted IMO

This^

The EVO control arms are definitely beefier then Synergy... I've had hands on both.

You would only need to RE adjust if you bent something/changed the setup :yup:

Top Bottom