Help planning my summer Vacations

Dannyboy76

So my wife and I are planning a trip to the outer banks NC. Neither one of us have been there before. My wife wants to see the wild horses and I just want to hang out on the beach. Really do want to take a couple of day trips driving down the beaches in the outer banks. So I am hoping that some of you can direct me to good places to stay. What are the good beaches to drive down. And anything else that we really should know. Also might be looking into renting a house if anybody knows of good honest realtors let me know..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure that ChrisB will see this and chime in. He's spent a lot of time out that way and should be able to help you out :yup:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I love outer banks. You should stay on the 4x4 beach in north corolla. The wild horses are all over. We have had them hang around our house more than once.

I loved staying on the edge of NC and the Virginia line. It's a little over an hour drive on the sand.

I'll look up the rental place and post up

Last edited:

rinkishjk

http://www.twiddy.com/

this place is top notch we used it about 6 years in a row. If you do stay on the beach, fill up your tank before you leave pavement

X2 on twiddy and the 4x4 beach. Any time we goto obx we use twiddy and they have been great. We stayed at a house within a short walk to the va line on the beach. Only drawback is the long ride to town for supplies.
We found a huge garbage dump off the beach and broken glass with wild horses right there by it. Kinda sad if u ask me.
I have a pic somewhere.
I sunk my 4 week old jk there when it was stock goin through water off the beach so if u exolore be careful.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
X2 on twiddy and the 4x4 beach. Any time we goto obx we use twiddy and they have been great. We stayed at a house within a short walk to the va line on the beach. Only drawback is the long ride to town for supplies.

Have you hiked to the cemetery in VA?

rinkishjk

Have you hiked to the cemetery in VA?

No we never crossed the telephone pole line. Sounds interesting.
Coolest thing that happened on that trip besides the horses out front our house, was an army helicopter flying up the beach and over us relaxing n drinking...
We waved at them, and the helicopter made a circle in the sky I guess as a wave.
It was really cool.
The house we stayed at was dances with waves.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
rinkishjk said:
No we never crossed the telephone pole line. Sounds interesting.
Coolest thing that happened on that trip besides the horses out front our house, was an army helicopter flying up the beach and over us relaxing n drinking...
We waved at them, and the helicopter made a circle in the sky I guess as a wave.
It was really cool.
The house we stayed at was dances with waves.

The fighter jets scared the shit out of us.

The cemetery is in false cape park in VA, not much left other than a couple head stones from early 1900's and a part of a church. Whenever you go back walk throu th dunes, tons of old abandon cars and general junk. You can see an old ship wreck just off he coast as well. Again nothing much just some wood sticking out of the ocean.

I don't recall the names of the houses, but they were all very close to the VA border.

It's sad, the local residents are fighting to keep the beach 4x4 only, the government wants to pave the road and move the horses out.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
It's sad, the local residents are fighting to keep the beach 4x4 only, the government wants to pave the road and move the horses out.

That is sad! Whats wrong with them? (Govt)

Guess I'd better get over there before another natural treasure gets spoiled. :naw:

Jersey_Devil

I've been there in 2003,didn't drive myself but man what u wanna do is the BEST! Just sitting on the beach day and night with a line in the water.... Never had a more relaxing vacation in my life!

Nicholas

Love OBX! My family would make the annual trip down to Avon near cape hatteras around memorial weekend for a week. Some great history along the outer banks, the wild horses, wright brothers first flight, all the light houses, and shipwrecks you can scuba dive around. You can even try kite surfing if its winding.

Plenty of beaches to take the jeep and sights to see. Back in the day we use to stay on the beach all night and have a bond fire but times have change.

I think you can still beach camp near cape hatteras lighthouse.

Have fun!

Dannyboy76

Thanks for all of the advise. We are starting to look at pricing on either renting a house or seeing what hotels are down there. As always, finding the right people to share a house with is difficult. This is something I have been wanting to do for years. And since I have never been and now that I have my Jeep, and a new Fly Rod, I am really wanting to go down there.

Top Bottom