JCR tire carrier break

JKRicky

A good friend of mine has had issues with his JCR tire carrier rattling a lot and decided to take off his spare to find the problem and tighten things up. He has had the carrier for only one year running 37x13.50x17 Toyo M/Ts on 17" Walker Evans bead locks.

He pulled the wheel off and found this... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468452566.074340.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468452687.956304.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468452727.434724.jpg

He contacted JCR who said this was their old design and were aware of this already happening. They also stated their updated carriers are welded all the way around. Of course, they are sending him a new/updated carrier. I'm just happy his wheel/tire still held on by one lug and didn't fall off as I was driving behind him.

Wanted to post this up as a heads up to anyone running this carrier to check yours and to keep an eye on it!!

WJCO

Meme King
A good friend of mine has had issues with his JCR tire carrier rattling a lot and decided to take off his spare to find the problem and tighten things up. He has had the carrier for only one year running 37x13.50x17 Toyo M/Ts on 17" Walker Evans bead locks.

He pulled the wheel off and found this... View attachment 212566
View attachment 212567
View attachment 212568

He contacted JCR who said this was their old design and were aware of this already happening. They also stated their updated carriers are welded all the way around. Of course, they are sending him a new/updated carrier. I'm just happy his wheel/tire still held on by one lug and didn't fall off as I was driving behind him.

Wanted to post this up as a heads up to anyone running this carrier to check yours and to keep an eye on it!!

Holy shit. That's scary.

JKbrick

The question I have is was the tire resting on any kind of bumpers against the tailgate or carrier?

DKjeep

I have a JCR full rear bumper / tire carrier. I just put my new tire on the carrier tonight as a matter of fact. My tire carrier does not have that hole in the middle and its just a solid piece there. I don't know why they cut that hole like that.

I had one small issue with mine and they shipped me more parts for it no questions asked. This was a few years ago.... Their FB stuff is fairly douche bag though.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm sorry but welding it all the way around still wouldn't stop it from cracking across like it did.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That's awesome!

It's too bad the factory carriers are garbage. I guess I'll continue to run mine after 70k miles with 35's and 37's.

OJK12

From what I've seen of JCR's stuff this doesn't surprise me at all. You couldn't give me anything they make. I am glad though it was caught and nobody got hurt.

Esum2016

That looks like the same thing that happens to my license plate on my enduro bike. After 1000+ miles of vibration it fails just below the point of support. Cozdue, do you think welding some angle under the bracket in the picture would help. I'm new to welding and would like your opinion.

JKRicky

Well, at least they didn't blame it on installer error
I said the same thing.

I can already hear it. "Those wayalife guys hate JCR!"
haha I'm waiting for it.

The question I have is was the tire resting on any kind of bumpers against the tailgate or carrier?
from what I remember, the carrier sits pretty far from the body so no way to have isolators pressed up against the tire.

That's awesome!

It's too bad the factory carriers are garbage. I guess I'll continue to run mine after 70k miles with 35's and 37's.
No joke. I had zero issues with mine as well. But do you even wheel bro??

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I think Daystar has them that you can cut to fit any length of space.

I ordered some of those, that should be here Friday. I'm driving to Ouray, Friday after next, so if they last a couple of weeks, I'll be fine with them.

Top Bottom