37s+welded diff+2" spacers+daily driven=?

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
So a buddy of mine that is new to off roading picked up a 1986 Grand Wagoneer a few months back. It was already lifted with 37" tires stuffed underneath it. The previous owner put 2" spacers on it to fix his rubbing issue. Also he had the rear diff welded. My friend not knowing any better, drove it like this for a few months. He also may have Tokyo drifted it a few times on the street. Well one day he was at a stop light. Light turned green, lifted his foot off the brake and both rear wheels fell off and he landed straight on the axle. All twelve wheel studs sheared off.

After I heard his story I agreed to help. He found an AMC 20 to put underneath so that it could be a roller again. We got the axle over to my place to start the disassembly.

Inspection revealed that 6 of 8 welds on the spiders gears were broken with teeth missing. Also there were plenty of shavings in the bottom. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468458234.473125.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468458253.298054.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468458269.689994.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468458284.613698.jpg

We discussed rebuilding it but the cost was too much. We found a set of axles on CL from the exact same rig but with a better gear ratio for about $400. He's been learning so much lately. Lol. I felt like this would be a good share with the group.

Ddays

Hooked
Holy hell! All the studs sheared at once?! He's a lucky man to not have been on some crazy mountain road.

edit: Look at those studs - they've been half broken & waiting to snap based on how rusty they are in places. :shock:
This guy better make a pit stop at church this weekend!

Last edited:

A.J.

I would check the drums too if you are going to reuse them. Some of those older vehicles had rivits on the drums which could easily have caused the studs to break. Also some had weights on them that will hit on aftermarket wheels and cause the same kinds of problem. Has to be a flush fit to get proper clamping force.

Top Bottom