So who regeared and who didn't?

I am getting 35 inch ko2's with a 3.5 inch lift on a 3.21 2016 JKU and I am curious on who regeared and who didn't and why! Thanks for your time!

Bustedback

My old JK was a pig in the hills with 3.21's and the stock 32" tires. Now I have a Rubicon with 4.10's and a six speed. I think 35's will work pretty well with 4.10's.

Jk_nate

I have 35" km2 tires with 3.73 gears. Mine is sluggish but drivable. I will be regearing soon. I like the stock feeling and super low 4x4 and want that back.

Itr.#1446

With 3.21's I would definitely regear. I just put 35's on my 3:73 auto and you can feel a difference but I can tolerate it for awhile until I regear it.

CarolinaJK

I have 35's on my auto w/ 3.73 gears. It's not terrible where I live in SC (no hills for miles), but when I drive the Jeep to WV, it becomes VERY annoying.

swampdog

I'm on 35" K02s and with s 3.6L 6-speed and went to 4.88 gears. I would do it again in a heartbeat and would have regretted anything less than the 4.88.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I regeared to 4.88s for my 35s. I wanted the stock performance back and I didn't care for how sluggish it felt with 3.73s.

On a side note, 3.5" of lift is a lot for 35s. I recommend 2.5 - 3 at most.

Jeeper125

I have been running 35 inch general grabbers with the 3 21 gearing for the past 6 months. Around town on flat roads it is not too bad but on the highway and hills you are going to be wishing you had better gearing.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
All it took was two wheeling trips for me to have enough to want to regear. Made it maybe 5 months on my 35's

TennJK

I ran 35" ko2s for over a year with 3.21 gears and finally regeared this May. Best money I have spent on my jeep.

Wow thanks for responding! Can someone post a picture of the gears I would need and what brand to buy and explain exactly what would be happening in my jeep going from 3.21 to 4.56 or 4.88 during daily driving and off roading? That would be really cool
Thanks
OIIIIIIIO

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Wow thanks for responding! Can someone post a picture of the gears I would need and what brand to buy and explain exactly what would be happening in my jeep going from 3.21 to 4.56 or 4.88 during daily driving and off roading? That would be really cool
Thanks
OIIIIIIIO

As far as I know all gears are made in Korea so it doesn't really matter what brand you go with.

This is a ring and pinion.

1468681656019.jpg

This is what it looks like with your diff cover off.

1468681685334.jpg

This is the gear chart for the 3.6

1468681712767.jpg

Basically, changing the gears forces your drive shaft to spin more to get the same full rotation of your tires. This allows the engine to run at a higher rpm to compensate for the longer rotation of the bigger tire.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
If your profile is correct, you are really close to Off Road Evolution. They have a $999 special on regearing so I recommend you give them a call and got there.

tgoss

I would save to do a locker in the rear as well if you're going to re-gear. You'll be amazed how much just that alone will help on the trail.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
3.71 with the 3.8 and on heavy 35s. Not too bad around flat Texas but it's going to suck in Colorado. Holding off on regear since a Prorock is in the works. I'll just tolerate it until then.

Jeeper125

Does regearing make a big difference off-road cause with my 35s and 3:21 my crawl is pretty quick for my liking

Top Bottom