Factory JK/JKU hardtop modular conversion

jscherb

Factory hardtops are awkward - being one piece (ignoring the freedom panels for the moment) they're big, bulky and very hard for one person to lift off or install safely or easily. They can also be very stuffy inside - the side windows are bonded in place and don't open. I think there's a better way - going modular.

I've been designing and building modular Jeep hardtops for my Jeeps for the past 6 years. It all started back in 2010 with my LJ "Safari Cab" hardtop project. The modular design of the LJ Safari has worked out extremely well over the years - being assembled from multiple smaller parts, it's easier for one person to install, remove and store than a traditional hardtop, and the modular design has also allowed a range of configurations, including swapping the hard sides/glass windows for soft sides that roll up.

SafariCab3.jpg

RemoveSidePanel1.jpg

Recently a company asked me to design a slider window retrofit kit for them to market for the JK, the idea is to replace the factory bonded-on side windows of the JK hardtop with opening windows. I finished up that project for the JKU and the next step was to do the JK 2dr version. To do that I needed a 2dr hardtop to work with, so I picked up a 2dr hardtop shell I found on Craigslist.

2drShell1_zpsug9yb77k.jpg

I decided that shell would also make a good candidate for an idea I've had for a long time, which is to convert a factory hardtop to modular. Converting it to modular would also make my window retrofit project easier because I could work on the hardtop side panel on my workbench rather than having to always work on the one-piece hardtop. So I cut the hardtop into pieces:

PartsCut1_zpsf0xvasns.jpg

PartsCut2_zpsxqxtb3rx.jpg

The next step was to modify the cut parts so they could be bolted back together...

jscherb

Here are a few photos of the completed modular conversion.

Fully assembled. If I didn't tell you it was the finished modular conversion you would probably think it's just any old factory top - the conversion doesn't really affect the outside looks:

FacModAssembled_zpsve3xassw.jpg

Side panels removed. Now you can tell it's the modular conversion :):

FacModSidesOff1_zps6zoay844.jpg

Since I don't have a 2dr JK to show it on, here's a sides-off concept:

FactoryModular2b_zpsqfg0taxl.jpg

Disassembled:

FacModAllParts_zpsfq7vlqah.jpg

jscherb

The modular top can in installed/removed in one piece, just like the factory top:

FacModLifting_zpsvjmhw5zm.jpg

It can easily be installed by one person - all of the panels are light enough to be handled by most people. The roof panel is large enough that it could be a bit awkward for people not as tall as I am, but as you can see by me holding it with one hand, it's not very heavy:

FacModRoofOneHand_zpsuimobpnw.jpg

Installing the top can be done in steps - install one side panel and then the rear panel, then install the other side panel, and finally install the roof (I'm doing this on the driveway instead of on a Jeep because I don't own a JK 2dr to put this top on).

FacModAssembly2_zpspy4t9en6.jpg

jscherb

Storing the modular top.

I checked to see how much space the top takes up against a wall - at the bottom the outermost panel in this stack is 15" from the wall. I think most garages have 15" to spare between the wall and a Jeep, so it should be easy to store in the garage.

StoringModularTop_zpsbqiahyqt.jpg

Also the rear panel and side panels are all small enough to each fit under a single bed. Two sides can fit under one bed and the rear panel can fit under another. The roof will fit under a queen bed, so probably the top can be stored inside in many apartments and most houses.

Even though my hardtop parts don't have any glass, all of the above still applies to parts with glass and a liftgate.

jscherb

Here's a view of the inside of the top, you can see where everything bolts together:

FacModInside_zpsn53fnoek.jpg

The basic idea of the project is to cut the factory top apart and add the bolt flanges seen above on both sides of the joints that have been cut.

jscherb

A few concept images, just some ideas that could be done with a modular conversion...

With just the top panel installed, something like this J8 could be done (or like my LJ Safari)

L8-2_zps5be3340f.jpg

L8-1_zps0ade2d87.jpg

A few JKU ideas:

FactoryJKUModular3_zps95adzjdc.jpg

FactoryJKUModular_zps5ntfsmhw.jpg

The same with roll-up side panels:

FactoryJKUModular2_zpsusec50co.jpg

Some 2-door concepts:

FactoryModular2a_zpsqez7hmup.jpg

FactoryModularSides2a_zpsczbcpwci.jpg

Factory2drModular3_zpsicrwkh2o.jpg

with roll-up soft sides

FactoryModularSoftSides1_zps2scajf7w.jpg

CarolinaJK

Definitely a pretty cool idea! I wouldn't mind putting my hard top back on if it was that easy to remove/put on.

jscherb

Another idea for the modular hardtop (or for a stock factory hardtop) - removable windows (make believe the black panel in these photos is clear or tinted polycarbonate, I made this prototype from an opaque panel I had on hand). The panel gets secured into the window opening with 6 latches, and can be removed/installed in under a minute. No changes to the hardtop are required, other than removing the factory window.

RemovablePOC1_zpsj1c91ftk.jpg

RemovablePOC2_zps9ighfzlh.jpg

RemovablePOC3_zpscakwdwo1.jpg

RemovablePOC4_zpsjggokke2.jpg

Since no modifications are required to the factory hardtop for this, the factory window can be replaced at a later date by bonding it back in with adhesive just as it was from the factory.

I made this as a proof-of-concept of the removability concept, and it seems to work well, so the next step is to make one with an actual window instead of an opaque panel.

Other possibilities for the concept are possible - for example a cargo compartment with a gull-wing door that could be swapped in place of a removable window. Or a screen. Could be a whole series of removable options - clear or tinted window, solid panel (either for a panel van look or maybe for mounting things on?), a storage compartment with a gull wing door, a screen panel, removable frame with roll-up soft window, ????

jscherb

How would you go about doing something like this?

Are you asking how to convert a factory hardtop to modular or how to implement the removable window idea I just posted?

I designed the modular conversion process so people with some DIY experience by no prior fiberglass experience can perform the conversion and be successful - complete step-by-step instructions for the modular conversion are here: Edited out link.

I haven't posted instructions for the removable window idea yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

jesse3638

Hooked
Are you asking how to convert a factory hardtop to modular or how to implement the removable window idea I just posted?

I designed the modular conversion process so people with some DIY experience by no prior fiberglass experience can perform the conversion and be successful - complete step-by-step instructions for the modular conversion are here:

This is a really cool concept and don't mean to rain on your parade buts it's against for rules to post links to other fore on here. Feel free to post up the actual info not a link to another forum. I'm sure the moderators will remove it shortly.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King

I designed the modular conversion process so people with some DIY experience by no prior fiberglass experience can perform the conversion and be successful - complete step-by-step instructions for the modular conversion are here: Edited out link.

As stated, please don't post links to other forums, as it's against the forum rules. I was mainly asking about the process in general. As you stated, it involves fiberglass. That's what I was wondering. Thanks.

jscherb

As stated, please don't post links to other forums, as it's against the forum rules. I was mainly asking about the process in general. As you stated, it involves fiberglass. That's what I was wondering. Thanks.

Sorry I didn't realize that. I won't post here anymore.

CarolinaJK

Personally if the factory hardtop's windows/back glass were easily removable, I'd gladly put my hardtop back on.

Top Bottom